Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 09:51 AM

102,186 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
Do you have any knowledge about actual numbers? i included my numbers in post #4 (i think)... could you take a look?
One of your numbers doesn't make sense to me. With blood tests in general, different companies have different ranges/scales, so my intent was to suggest you look at the range your test gives as "normal", and judge each of your levels against that, to see if a pattern emerges. Your test results should provide a "normal" range for every item tested (iron, thyroid, etc.)

Thyroid disease "steals" your main sleep hormone, which is progesterone, which for some people manifests as being a light sleeper/easily awakened. I don't know if your symptoms could be related to that. This hormone imbalance that it causes also results in painful monthly periods. It causes women to be estrogen-dominant, with heavier periods than the average, and longer periods. Also, it causes a tendency toward blood sugar imbalances, ultimately making someone inclined toward developing diabetes. This may not manifest until a little later in life, but not to worry; it can be controlled with diet, and the diet you're doing, with the exception of the oatmeal breakfasts (very carby), is exactly the ticket.

If you recognize yourself in some of the symptoms I've mentioned here, and in my earlier post, that would give us an indication. As of now, we still don't know if thyroid is an issue for you. If you don't have the menstrual symptoms, then maybe your issue isn't thyroid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Hmm gut is a good thought. My acne med is a cream so i doubt thats affecting me. Ive been tested for celiac and came back negative and the ibs is constipation which i am somewhat managaing. I dont know what else i could look into for a gut issue maybe i can mention it to my dr tho?
Chronic constipation is a thyroid symptom.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:57 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Quote:
Hmm gut is a good thought. My acne med is a cream so i doubt thats affecting me. Ive been tested for celiac and came back negative and the ibs is constipation which i am somewhat managaing. I dont know what else i could look into for a gut issue maybe i can mention it to my dr tho?

The acne cream can very well be part of your problem. If you think it's hormone related such as thyroid I'd go see an Endocrinologist!

Old 04-27-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Im thinking of going to an endo to rule it out. Guess ot doesnt hurt right?
You'd need to go outside of the insurance-based medical system. "Mainstream" endos are all taught to deny thyroid disease in individuals whose test results come back within a broadly-defined "normal" range, even if the divergent pattern I mentioned is present. If one of your levels is off the chart, then they'll treat you. Otherwise, they'll tell you you're fine. You need to find a doc who will order the test for thyroid antibodies. That's a test insurance hates to pay for, so docs will not order it, unless your results are outside that normal range.

I suppose you could try and endo (on insurance), and if you don't get anywhere, then look for either a naturopath (Google is your friend), or a holistic MD who operates independently of insurance. This will cost you, but you'll get your answer about thyroid. Then you can take that diagnosis back to your primary care doc or your endo, and proceed from there. Once you have a diagnosis from an MD, they'll accept that.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:03 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,253,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
One of your numbers doesn't make sense to me. With blood tests in general, different companies have different ranges/scales, so my intent was to suggest you look at the range your test gives as "normal", and judge each of your levels against that, to see if a pattern emerges. Your test results should provide a "normal" range for every item tested (iron, thyroid, etc.)

Thyroid disease "steals" your main sleep hormone, which is progesterone, which for some people manifests as being a light sleeper/easily awakened. I don't know if your symptoms could be related to that. This hormone imbalance that it causes also results in painful monthly periods. It causes women to be estrogen-dominant, with heavier periods than the average, and longer periods. Also, it causes a tendency toward blood sugar imbalances, ultimately making someone inclined toward developing diabetes. This may not manifest until a little later in life, but not to worry; it can be controlled with diet, and the diet you're doing, with the exception of the oatmeal breakfasts (very carby), is exactly the ticket.

If you recognize yourself in some of the symptoms I've mentioned here, and in my earlier post, that would give us an indication. As of now, we still don't know if thyroid is an issue for you. If you don't have the menstrual symptoms, then maybe your issue isn't thyroid.
The thyroid tests were all in the ranges provided on my lab work, but as someone has mentioned already and what i have read is that even if your numbers are in the range it doesn't necessarily mean everything is okay and you can still feel cruddy with numbers in the proper ranges (not sure if 100% true).

I have extremely painful periods only on the first day. have to pop advil all day. honestly my fourth option (after thyroid, sleep test, gut issue) was going to be to look into endometriosis because i know that also has a symptom of IBS sometimes.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:08 AM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
The thyroid tests were all in the ranges provided on my lab work, but as someone has mentioned already and what i have read is that even if your numbers are in the range it doesn't necessarily mean everything is okay and you can still feel cruddy with numbers in the proper ranges (not sure if 100% true).

I have extremely painful periods only on the first day. have to pop advil all day. honestly my fourth option (after thyroid, sleep test, gut issue) was going to be to look into endometriosis because i know that also has a symptom of IBS sometimes.

If you suspect thyroid then have you tried an iodine source like sea kelp?

Old 04-27-2017, 11:18 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Iodine is so missed by our population. There are tons of data on iodine deficiency.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:32 AM

761 posts, read 604,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Iodine is so missed by our population. There are tons of data on iodine deficiency.
DID YOU TAKE NOTE??!!

give yourself less than 5 minutes to read this,
and you'll realize something colossal.

http://https://www.clinicaleducation...ing-countries/

Old 04-27-2017, 11:44 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
I've been working with this iodine issue for at least 10 yrs, too bad I didn't know about this long ago I could have saved a lot of misery with depression for 10 yrs from 1991 to 2002, when I FINALLY got on thyroid support. Knowing about the iodine issue way back then could have given me support my thyroid needed.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:56 PM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

Especially with bromides used as oxidation agents for baked goods and fluorine in the water. idodine needs to compete with toxic halides thus even more is needed. its also falling off as a mineral in soils especially inland.

If ya drink, try nocino. I still need to get around to making my own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness