Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2020, 11:25 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,458,184 times

Advertisements

I think so. People are still going to bars and restaurants. I am not too worried about getting Coronavirus. I'll suffer more economic damage in this than physical health damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2020, 11:32 AM

16,277 posts, read 10,408,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
You guys wanna take that nonsense over to P&C forum? This is the health forum.

On topic- I've just been informed that my out of town business trip won't be cancelled, so restaurants it is for the next week. Hoping they won't be crowded.

My apologies. I didn't start the political talk, I was simply responding and had no intentions of going further with that poster. But you are right, that talk does not belong here.

Old 03-13-2020, 11:33 AM

Back on topic I heard a recommendation that we still support the restaurants in the form of carry out order. This won't help the servers but may keep the restaurant in business. I found this interesting as I have been a regular carry out guy (3-4 times/week) for decades.

Old 03-13-2020, 11:55 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Thanks, this topic interests me since I am going to be utterly dependent on restaurant food next week. I do feel badly for servers, and I probably will focus more on carry out than dine in partly because of the need for ...what are they calling it? Social isolation, or something similar?
At this point I'm trying to figure out if the local mom and pop places are a better option than the chain places. Maybe less crowded, maybe fewer lackadaisical employees, but OTOH chains have corporate policies and procedures for cleaning and sanitizing, so I'm still pondering.

Old 03-13-2020, 01:11 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
SMH. Illegals? American staff is okay? What country are your ass-umed illegals from? Did they recently come here? If so, the next questions are many.

Your last sentence is the only sensible thing.

I do understand the statement to a degree: more restaurants depending on the location do hire people from other countries and many do not check who they are having. I would never have thought about this but there is some possible reasons for the posters concern.

Now, would I go to a restaurant? We are going out for breakfast tomorrow morning as a matter of fact and yes we are older but we are not going to hide under the bed til this whole thing dies down.

Old 03-13-2020, 01:18 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLisa83 View Post
this is not about crazy paranoid behavior. You refuse to what? Be smart and think about others instead of just yourself...

I don't understand why Americans are so hard headed
And I don't see how so many can get so paranoid about this? It works both ways.

Old 03-13-2020, 05:49 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I do understand the statement to a degree: more restaurants depending on the location do hire people from other countries and many do not check who they are having. I would never have thought about this but there is some possible reasons for the posters concern.

Now, would I go to a restaurant? We are going out for breakfast tomorrow morning as a matter of fact and yes we are older but we are not going to hide under the bed til this whole thing dies down.
Look. It was hyperbole to emphasize the risk of eating in a restaurant. Most are hourly staff with no benefits. It’s the group most likely to work while sick and least likely to see a doctor since the vast majority have either no insurance or high deductible insurance.

Old 03-14-2020, 04:07 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,970,949 times
People are going to get this. You're carrying it around while you feel fine. Social distancing is meant to flatten the curve. They're trying to not have it spike to the point that the hospitals, like in Italy, can't handle the load. We have 925,000 hospital beds in the U.S., with about 10% being for critical care. Slowing it's spread may allow the people to be treated in manageable waves. If it spikes to quickly and we see millions sick at once and that is a possibility, hospitals won't be able to treat everyone and again, like Italy, will have to decide who gets treated.
The media is doing their job and telling people to stay home and take precautions for a reason. Politics should be the last thing on your mind here. Having said that, Trump has slashed funding to critical health organizations, banned the CDC from using certain words, and downplayed it's seriousness at a critical time when he should have been telling people the truth. He cares more about reelection than the truth. History will be very unkind to him as it should be.
I wouldn't go to any public place at times where there are a lot of people. Stay at least 6ft away from people and wash your hands often. Washing your hands thoroughly is more effective than sanitizer. Use that for times you can't wash. Be conscious of your hands. We touch our face every day and think nothing of it. Be aware now.
If you do your best, avoid large groups and practice good hygiene, you could avoid getting sick. Everyone needs to do their part. Idiots who deny the seriousness of this and go willy nilly out in public are our worst enemy right now. Don't be that idiot.
After this is all over, remember the people who are going to be in hardship over this. Businesses losing business and employees losing wages. Perhaps go out more then to give them some increased revenue or tip your server a bit more. There is more to this than the people getting sick.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
People are going to get this. You're carrying it around while you feel fine. Social distancing is meant to flatten the curve. They're trying to not have it spike to the point that the hospitals, like in Italy, can't handle the load. We have 925,000 hospital beds in the U.S., with about 10% being for critical care. Slowing it's spread may allow the people to be treated in manageable waves. If it spikes to quickly and we see millions sick at once and that is a possibility, hospitals won't be able to treat everyone and again, like Italy, will have to decide who gets treated.
The media is doing their job and telling people to stay home and take precautions for a reason. Politics should be the last thing on your mind here. Having said that, Trump has slashed funding to critical health organizations, banned the CDC from using certain words, and downplayed it's seriousness at a critical time when he should have been telling people the truth. He cares more about reelection than the truth. History will be very unkind to him as it should be.
I wouldn't go to any public place at times where there are a lot of people. Stay at least 6ft away from people and wash your hands often. Washing your hands thoroughly is more effective than sanitizer. Use that for times you can't wash. Be conscious of your hands. We touch our face every day and think nothing of it. Be aware now.
If you do your best, avoid large groups and practice good hygiene, you could avoid getting sick. Everyone needs to do their part. Idiots who deny the seriousness of this and go willy nilly out in public are our worst enemy right now. Don't be that idiot.
After this is all over, remember the people who are going to be in hardship over this. Businesses losing business and employees losing wages. Perhaps go out more then to give them some increased revenue or tip your server a bit more. There is more to this than the people getting sick.
What a beautifully written summary. Not going to restaurants is not paranoia, it's pretty much what the health experts are recommending to, as you say, flatten the curve and buy us some time. It's really the responsible thing to do, unlike waiting in line for an hour to secure your 24 rolls of toilet paper.

I am a ride share driver and got a gauge last night. I took a few groups who were going out, but then I took a server from a steak house home as she said it was slow so she left. So it appears as if some are still going out, which is important for survival of the restaurant and to support the servers, but people are still respecting "social distance".

Old 03-14-2020, 07:33 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,548,321 times
I went to a restaurant last weekend and it was packed, but then again, that was before the World Health Organization deemed COVID-19 a pandemic. I'm 56 and my boyfriend is ten years older than me, so I wouldn't be rushing to go out right now. Besides, social distancing is the only way we're going to get a handle on this.

The U.S. is way behind on testing, so the maps that we're all looking at are probably at least two weeks behind reality. I'm glad that local governments have been taking steps to mitigate the exponential growth. We'll get through this, but we have to work together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness