Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 08:16 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,589,229 times

Advertisements

We are probably going to get some surprises and revelations about Covid 19. It may have been occurring in many places in the last two months and it was just not recognized. The main reason that Mexico seems to have such a low rate of Covid 19, is that they have done very little testing. We are still doing just a limited amount of testing in the U. S. and if that increases, we may get some alarming news. A problem is, that once the active disease has left the body, it can't be detected as having occurred. If anyone had Covid 19 but mistook it for the flu and wasn't tested, they would never know it for sure.

They say that coronaviruses mutate rapidly. We've been trying to develop a vaccine against the common cold, which is also caused by a type of coronavirus, for over a century, without a useful result. I'm uncertain about the possibilities of success, for the many plans underway to develop a vaccine for Covid 19, considering that rapid mutation. Just like it's done for the many strains of the flu, they would probably have to produce new vaccines each year and that might not be often enough. But if a vaccine protected just a portion of the people, that would help reduce the incidence of the virus for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2020, 09:18 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times
Cool Strain-specific antibodies are maintained for an average of 2 years after exposure to a coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
A problem is, that once the active disease has left the body, it can't be detected as having occurred. If anyone had Covid 19 but mistook it for the flu and wasn't tested, they would never know it for sure.
As mentioned in the post directly above yours, this claim is absolutely false.

Somebody who has recovered from COVID-19 will have virus-specific antibodies in their bloodstream, detectable for as much as two years afterwards.

USA doesn't yet have an easy and cheap serological test, but with the relaxed CDC rules on test kits, it may be available here soon, or you could just watch for them to show up on wish.com or alibaba.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceMag
labmade molecules provided the basis for an ELISA test, in which antibodies in a sample of blood or plasma trigger a color change when they recognize a target protein—here an RBD or the spike protein. Initial tests of four blood samples from three confirmed COVID-19 patients and from 59 serum samples banked before the start of the outbreak showed that the test worked, as antibodies to SARS-CoV-2 bound to the test’s proteins. It showed positive results only for the COVID-19 patients and not for any of those controls.

The control blood samples came from people between the age of 20 and 70, many of whom had previously been infected with other viruses. Among them was a different coronavirus, NL63, which causes cold symptoms. Its spike protein uses the same receptor on human cells to infect them, so scientists had worried that antibodies to that virus might cross-react and cause false-positive tests. “Across the board, the controls look very negative,” Krammer says—which is good news.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:43 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,266 times
In late January I flew through SFO. Spent a few days in SF's Pacifica chinatown area. About a week later I had a mild "flu" like cold, most notably, a dry cough and wheezing that persisted on & off for weeks (the primary illness only lasted about 3 or 4 days). But I'm still not 100% tip top. No runny nose or any other upper respiratory symptoms. I figured nothing special - I'm usually good for one cold every year, rarely a flu. But this stuff is dragging on.

Could've been COVID. (that syndrome is typical for Corona virus, but there are other viruses that can manifest the same way).

Instead of that helicopter money they propose, they should put a card with six do-it-yourself COVID tests in the mailbox. The more people know, the more likely the infected who know they are positive will more totally quarantine themselves, etc.

Whattya gonna do with $1000? Convert it to singles, get nekked and roll around in it?

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 03-20-2020 at 10:31 PM..

Old 03-20-2020, 10:07 PM

Lightbulb Biomerica has a $10 test which gives results in 10 minutes... but they can't offer it in US

Abbott Labs is distributing a molecular test, it requires their (expensive) PCR system. Competing assays from Roche, ThermoFisher, Hologic, LCA, and Quidel also have expedited FDA approvals.

All of these require a lab to run the PCR, and are only useful for confirming a patient is currently shedding virus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Instead of that helicopter money they propose, they should put a card with six do-it-yourself COVID tests in the mailbox. The more people know, the more likely the infected will more totally quarantine themselves, etc.
Better to wait for the inexpensive (under ten bucks) Biomerica "finger prick" antibody test, just waiting for FDA approval and for production to ramp up. This is a serology test, so a positive result indicates that a person has had an immune response, and will show positive for somebody who had it back in January and is no longer infectious.

The Biomerica test is not yet FDA cleared, currently only available outside of the USA

Old 03-20-2020, 10:32 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Abbott Labs is distributing a molecular test, it requires their (expensive) PCR system. Competing assays from Roche, ThermoFisher, Hologic, LCA, and Quidel also have expedited FDA approvals.

All of these require a lab to run the PCR, and are only useful for confirming a patient is currently shedding virus.

Better to wait for the inexpensive (under ten bucks) Biomerica "finger prick" antibody test, just waiting for FDA approval and for production to ramp up. This is a serology test, so a positive result indicates that a person has had an immune response, and will show positive for somebody who had it back in January and is no longer infectious.

The Biomerica test is not yet FDA cleared, currently only available outside of the USA
Very interesting. But the FDA? We'll be the last have it available.

Old 03-20-2020, 10:35 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post

Great info!

Old 03-20-2020, 11:45 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
It reached critical mass then. There is no way to know when it actually occurred for the first time.
Or where. All we know are first official reports.

Old 03-21-2020, 07:15 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
My son had something the first week of December. He felt fine on the day he took his girlfriend's children shopping to buy her Christmas present. By the time they went back to the condo, he had a temp of 101. That night it got worse and went to the ER at 2AM with a temp of 103. They tested him for regular flu and it was negative.He stayed down in West Palm where she is a doctor for 5 days he got so sick. It started out with the temp, went right to sore throat and the I can't breath stage(the reason he hit ER that night), had aches and pains and the worst head ache he had ever had. He ended up on the 4th day with diarrhea and then he recovered. Basically he had all the symptoms so is hoping it was. He hopes he might have some immunities built up since he works in a job he has to be with people everyday. They all ended up catching what he had but not as bad.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:36 AM

11,443 posts, read 625,823 times
I had something a couple weeks ago........

A headache and my stomach was hurting..... I didnt wanna let it get worse.. I started hitting it with mega vit c -- 10,000MG daily or more....... The first week I felt better after 1 day. 2 weeks later I had the same thing and also My head felt like it was being stepped on and my voice was harsh (Like I had larengidise) It took longer to get rid of that one... Probably 2 or 3 days hitting 10,000MG VIT C . It did go though.......

I dont know what I had but seeing whats going on it could have been...... Im just very glad I have VIT-C -- The best stuff you can take!!

Old 03-21-2020, 10:15 AM

Post 10,000MG might be a little bit of overkill

Megadoses can cause stomach upset, better to spread it out, a couple grams at a go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambers72 View Post
I dont know what I had but seeing whats going on it could have been...... Im just very glad I have VIT-C -- The best stuff you can take!!
Vitamin D to avoid getting it, Zinc lozenges when your throat tickles, and C at the first real sign of flu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness