Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 05:39 PM

110 posts, read 83,684 times

Advertisements

I got flu like symptoms around feb.10....which was 2 weeks after first case was confirmed in my area. I don't think I knew at the time. Temp hovered 100-101 for a couple days, had a chest burning cough, headache, chills, extreme fatigue. The worst was over after 2 or 3 days..but for the next week after I still had a productive cough and I was wheezing when I took deep breathes or laughed. I assumed it was the flu at the time. A few days before I got sick, I had been at a vaccine center to get a booster shot...dunno if that had anything to do with it. One of my co workers came to work sick and was coughing lots (urgh) the day before I showed symptoms too...but that would be a really short incubation period. Thank goodness I stayed home when I was sick though...whatever it was.

Last edited by froscow; 03-21-2020 at 05:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2020, 05:53 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Quote:
it is too late now and really doesn't make much difference as long as you are feeling fine now.
. . .
A problem is, that once the active disease has left the body, it can't be detected as having occurred
Just stop it. Quit spreading lies and misinformation. There is absolutely no way to know how long immunity lasts because the disease has only been around a few months.
My point was to counter the lies that " it can't be detected as having occurred" to confirm whether a particular (currently healthy) patient had COVID-19 back in January.

So you want to just ignore the data collected from SARS and MERS patients?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPR
Some people sickened by SARS, the dangerous coronavirus that emerged in China in 2002, did develop a measurable immune response that lasted a long time.

"We've gone back and gotten samples from patients who had SARS in 2003 and 2004, and as of this year, we can detect antibodies," says Stanley Perlman of the University of Iowa. "We think antibodies may be longer lasting than we first thought, but not in everybody."
. . .
Survivors of MERS did generate an immune response to the virus that can be detected up to two years later, he says. And the more ill the patient was, the more robust and long-lasting the immune response.

Until the recent emergence of SARS-Cov2, the official name of the current coronavirus, and this pandemic, scientists say, there just hasn't been much of a research push to fully understand how and why reinfection with coronaviruses can occur.
So back to my original point -- if you suspect you had an early case of COVID-19, the upcoming serological antibody test would answer that question.

Or you might have had just mild symptoms, or even caught it and never suspected, according to Forbes.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 03-21-2020 at 07:11 PM..

Old 03-21-2020, 06:59 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Covid-19 symptoms are extremely worse than the flu!

Old 03-21-2020, 07:46 PM

1,371 posts, read 668,455 times
Our DD works in the school system on the west coast of Florida. She told me about 3-4 weeks or so ago that a "flu" swept through the school system that absolutely kicked everyone's behind. They are all wondering if it was COVID-19 now.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:29 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtran49 View Post
Our DD works in the school system on the west coast of Florida. She told me about 3-4 weeks or so ago that a "flu" swept through the school system that absolutely kicked everyone's behind. They are all wondering if it was COVID-19 now.
If it was younger children probably flu. Many would have been tested, too.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:41 PM

6,344 posts, read 2,898,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Covid-19 symptoms are extremely worse than the flu!
Not always. Many younger people don't even know they have it.

Old 03-21-2020, 10:35 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
I had a bad bug at the end of January. I even passed out I was so sick. I didn't think it could be Covid because I didn't have respiratory problems. But now I heard not everyone has that. I could have had it and not known it. I had traveled to Boston where there was an early outbreak.
I read today that a dr. in Louisiana tried to get special equipment to deal with what he now knows was the first virus case a while back. He spotted it when the patient got so sick...it wasn't like the flu. The patient's lungs were very congested. Anyway, however he did it, he knew it wasn't the flu or ordinary virus. Others told him that he was overreacting.

So I think it's different & that an experienced medical expert could or would spot that. Buty I don't know. Some of the cases are mild. But even so, it's different from the flu, is what they're saying.

Old 03-21-2020, 11:28 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
I am on the final stretch of being well... Been out for 10 days. Started thinking it was the flu, but it did progress to respiratory issues. Shortness of breath, my chest felt compressed, etc. I'm on the mend now but I am looking forward to the antibody test and will take one when it's available to see if I did have the coronavirus.

I did make an attempt to get tested, I did not qualify.
This is what I have. I've had a slightly elevated temperature, aches and pains, and chest congestion for 8 days. The OTC drugs finally cleared up the chest scum. I hope that I feel better tomorrow. I'm tired of shoving food into my mouth to eat enough calories so that I don't die.

Old 03-22-2020, 03:00 PM

6,344 posts, read 2,898,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I read today that a dr. in Louisiana tried to get special equipment to deal with what he now knows was the first virus case a while back. He spotted it when the patient got so sick...it wasn't like the flu. The patient's lungs were very congested. Anyway, however he did it, he knew it wasn't the flu or ordinary virus. Others told him that he was overreacting.

So I think it's different & that an experienced medical expert could or would spot that. Buty I don't know. Some of the cases are mild. But even so, it's different from the flu, is what they're saying.
I didn't go to a doc. I felt well enough to go out of the house after 2 days, but I still had dizzy spells and was pretty weak with no appetite. I was on a cracker and milk diet for a week. And even after a month I was still getting dizzy once in a while. I never had any bug hang on that long.

Old 03-22-2020, 05:57 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,240,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Ever heard of a secondary bacterial infection???? A very common cause of respiratory problems following flu.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/commo...cations-770342

Indeed I have... Which is why I took a course of Azithromycin. The only thing left in me is the virus in my chest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness