Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 03:10 PM

6,343 posts, read 2,897,107 times

Advertisements

I had a bad bug at the end of January. I even passed out I was so sick. I didn't think it could be Covid because I didn't have respiratory problems. But now I heard not everyone has that. I could have had it and not known it. I had traveled to Boston where there was an early outbreak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2020, 03:12 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
I was really sick last May and had all of the symptoms, including a horrible cough.

But is was May, so who knows?

I had been traveling and think I got it on the plane or some filthy subway surface or something.

Old 03-20-2020, 03:35 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,202,561 times
I was really ill the end of year...with what I thought was a sinus cold and a very bad cough. My doctor said what I had was like bronchitis...which I've never had in my life....and I'm 72. Activated my asthma, too, with bad wheezing. Doc gave me prednisone for the cough and an inhaler similar to albuterol...which I did not use because I don't like Rx meds. Controlled cough with menthol cough drops, which did help a lot. Cough and breathing problems/wheezing went away within a month. My breathing is as good as it's ever been. My doctor told me she had to use prednisone and an inhaler too because her cough was so bad...said it took 3 months to completely go away. I live in Colorado and don't believe COVID was in Colorado when I was ill. That doesn't mean anything b/c they say that many more people are infected or ill, and do to know it, and/or have no symptoms. No one I work with caught my cold because I do practice infection control - keeping everything I touch wiped down, when I'm ill. Wondering if I did have COVID, because this sinus cold was worse than any I've had...and I did feel really ill for 2 weeks.

Old 03-20-2020, 03:51 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Idle speculation and pretty pointless IMHO. Chances are, if you actually did contract a coronavirus it's mutated quite a bit from that form by now anyway. Happens quite fast apparently. Even if your immune system did learn to recognize and respond to a coronavirus back then it might not have effective antibodies now. Don't forget secondary bacterial infections that can get started after some virus runs its course. They create respiratory illnesses too. But, if you want to waste your time wondering, knock yourself out.

Old 03-20-2020, 03:54 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
M -- people are putting more together now and thinking they may have had a CV with their issues. You mention asthma, and the antioxidants help reduce asthma conditions. I've mentioned that in Alt Med over the years.

Old 03-20-2020, 05:00 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
The SARS-CoV-2 virus emerged in China in late November or early December 2019. Whatever anyone had earlier than that was not COVID-19, no matter how sick you were, and if you had no history of contact with anyone from China in January, odds are you did not have COVID-19.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0820-9

Old 03-20-2020, 05:35 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The SARS-CoV-2 virus emerged in China in late November or early December 2019. Whatever anyone had earlier than that was not COVID-19, no matter how sick you were, and if you had no history of contact with anyone from China in January, odds are you did not have COVID-19.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0820-9
It reached critical mass then. There is no way to know when it actually occurred for the first time.

Old 03-20-2020, 06:32 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
It reached critical mass then. There is no way to know when it actually occurred for the first time.
The genealogy of the virus tells when it first appeared.

Phylodynamic Analysis | 176 genomes | 6 Mar 2020 - nCoV-2019 Genomic Epidemiology - Virological

"The estimated dates for the most recent common ancestor (and the 95% credible interval) are compatible with the TMRCA from the beginning to middle of December (Table 2). The earliest reported date of symptom onset for the initial cluster of pneumonia cases was 1st December 2019 [4]."

Old 03-20-2020, 06:37 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
My family traveled from California to Oklahoma during Christmas week, and about halfway through the week I came down with a cold. It really was quite mild. Right after we got home, my husband came down with it, and his case was more severe than mine. He developed a bad cough that lingered for a couple of weeks.

I would say this was just a cold, it certainly seemed like it, but the strange thing was that our three children (ages 15, 17, 20) who traveled with us and shared close quarters during the entire week, never got sick at all. Normally, they're the ones who get the colds, while my husband and I usually escape. I think it is highly unlikely that we had COVID-19, but the way it hit me and my husband and skipped our kids was certainly strange.

In late February my mother-in-law got a bad cold that turned into bacterial pneumonia. She felt really terrible for about a week, needed antibiotics, had a very lingering cough, and is only now about back to normal. She had had a visit from a relative in Germany who gave her this illness, so, long story short, she was tested and DID NOT have coronavirus.

Last edited by saibot; 03-20-2020 at 06:45 PM..

Old 03-20-2020, 07:38 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times
Default The serological test is advantageous because it can detect antibodies even if a patient has recovered

China and Singapore have serological (antibody) tests, so eventually it will be possible to get tested to confirm if you've already had it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
I had a bad bug at the end of January. I even passed out I was so sick. I didn't think it could be Covid because I didn't have respiratory problems. But now I heard not everyone has that. I could have had it and not known it. I had traveled to Boston where there was an early outbreak.
Almost certainly a regular flu, see: https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/fluview/fl...dashboard.html

The first confirmed appearance of COVID-19 in Massachusetts was February 1st (a traveler returning from Wuhan, China). After that, no confirmed community transmission until early March.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness