Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 06:19 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Both of my parents were very sick around 3 weeks ago. My mom was so bad she thought she would be admitted to the hospital, but her doc told her she had bronchitis and gave her meds. It sure would be nice to know if they had this virus and are now immune. There needs to be more testing for antibodies.
Sure...it's possible - but three weeks ago was a week into March. How is that "early"? ...that's how this conversation started, that people thought they'd gotten COVID-19 in January or even December. Your parents don't fit that situation at all so yes, it's possible they had it and yes, will eventually be able to get tested for antibodies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2020, 11:21 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,278,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
If it has been around forever why do no humans have immunity to it??

Why are we only NOW seeing the deaths and not 6 months or 6 years ago???

Again, nobody knows when covid 19 made the jump from non humans to humans. Why haven't humans developed immunity to HIV?

It's possible there were deaths but since covid19 wasn't well known, the deaths were attributed to something else.

Old 04-01-2020, 11:27 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
I’m in WA and still can’t get a test. I woke up Sunday morning with chills, a really painful dry cough I could feel in my chest, and a low grade fever of about 99.8. I called my healthcare provider on Monday only to be told rather dismissively to continue to self monitor for symptoms and self quarantine. Hello... I already have symptoms. I felt fine Monday, but woke up Tuesday morning to a nasty coughing episode which actually caused me, I think, to pull a muscle in my back, because every time I breathe heavily or cough I can feel it in my back.

I am doing okay today so far, coughing has been minimal though I can still feel the pain in my back if I take a deep breath. Temp is back to normal. But I’m just really disappointed and disgusted with the response I received. I’m pretty sure I got it based on the symptoms I had. It’s like if you aren’t on your death bed or have been in known contact with someone who is positive, they’re not going to test you.

Old 04-01-2020, 11:32 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Again, nobody knows when covid 19 made the jump from non humans to humans. Why haven't humans developed immunity to HIV?

It's possible there were deaths but since covid19 wasn't well known, the deaths were attributed to something else.
Molecular genetics tells when the virus made the jump.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0820-9

"Estimates of the timing of the most recent common ancestor of SARS-CoV-2 made with current sequence data point to emergence of the virus in late November 2019 to early December 201923, compatible with the earliest retrospectively confirmed cases".

Old 04-02-2020, 08:06 AM

5,713 posts, read 4,286,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post

Quack theory based on lack of evidence, like all quack theories. To be taken seriously you must provide evidence to support your theory.

Old 04-03-2020, 03:41 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Yes, indeed.

One thing I haven't seen any statistics on or any discussion of is how the numbers of deaths of elderly and/or comorbidity cases in this COVID-19 hysteria era compare to the numbers of deaths in same groups prior to the panic. After all, nobody has batted an eye at tens of thousands of flu deaths every year in mostly the same population. There is nothing new about old people and sick people dying. How many more are dying today as COVID-19 hysteria is destroying life as we've known it for hundreds of years than were dying a year ago in an equivalent time frame?

Substantially more? Any more? Or have we simply stumbled upon a previously unlabeled subset of "natural causes"?
I wonder if the overall deaths/death rates will actually increase or if this is the 'new' cause. So instead of people being labeled 'flu and pneumonia' deaths they will be 'coronavirus' but overall? Same number of deaths for the year. Have to wait and see.

Old 04-03-2020, 07:43 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I wonder if the overall deaths/death rates will actually increase or if this is the 'new' cause. So instead of people being labeled 'flu and pneumonia' deaths they will be 'coronavirus' but overall? Same number of deaths for the year. Have to wait and see.
Any worthwhile response to this or most other COVID discussions have a substantial political component. Because the big picture of what's going on with this "new" virus is much more political than it is about the virus itself. It is very difficult....and largely pointless....to try to keep them separate.

Be that as it may, I wrote one....and nearly clicked on Submit Reply. But knowing, as I do, that in_newengland doesn't want politics in this section, I refrained....out of respect for her and appreciation of her fairness as a moderator.

I'll find a place to work it in over at P&OC.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:01 AM

5,713 posts, read 4,286,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Yes, indeed.

One thing I haven't seen any statistics on or any discussion of is how the numbers of deaths of elderly and/or comorbidity cases in this COVID-19 hysteria era compare to the numbers of deaths in same groups prior to the panic. After all, nobody has batted an eye at tens of thousands of flu deaths every year in mostly the same population. There is nothing new about old people and sick people dying. How many more are dying today as COVID-19 hysteria is destroying life as we've known it for hundreds of years than were dying a year ago in an equivalent time frame?

Substantially more? Any more? Or have we simply stumbled upon a previously unlabeled subset of "natural causes"?

Actually its been discussed ad nauseum and you've just chosen to ignore it because of your political beliefs.

Old 04-03-2020, 10:21 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,083,473 times
I had a viral illness in January that started suddenly with a sore throat and low grade temp. One of my activities brought me into contact with a lot of passengers returning from China after the holiday season. The illness progressed and tried to make its way into my chest but seemed to be repelled each time it tried. Had nausea and the fever persisted for about 4 days. Took me about 10 days to recover even though the symptoms were mainly nasal and sinusitis. Cough was a prominent feature too, and that persisted for about 2 weeks. I believe this may well have been COVID but without testing or serology now, really can't confirm it. Whatever it was, it wasn't your usual run of the mill URTI. Recent reports are now giving credibility to the fact that data from December, January and February, which were the critical early months in the outbreak, reveal how hundreds of thousands or even millions of undetected coronavirus cases could have entered the country while medical experts remained unaware of the seriousness of the illness.

Old 04-03-2020, 11:27 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Actually its been discussed ad nauseum and you've just chosen to ignore it because of your political beliefs.
Speaking of ignore....don't waste your time addressing anything to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness