Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 09:18 AM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Or they were false positive on testing....It would take acute & convalescent antibody determinations to prove it one way or the other.

I'm suspicious that there are so many "asymptomatic carriers" with a bug that's so devastating to so many others. It don't jive.
It is my understanding that most who are infected do eventually develop symptoms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2020, 11:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
It's false. They're mostly testing more severe cases that need medical attention. Mild cases are being turned away. This is largely to conserve medical equipment for the time being.
This is not the case in AR. Here they are testing anyone that does show some signs, especially those in certain groups. My husband was tested a few days ago. thank goodness he has tested negative.

Old 03-26-2020, 11:21 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
This is not the case in AR. Here they are testing anyone that does show some signs, especially those in certain groups. My husband was tested a few days ago. thank goodness he has tested negative.

I suspect in a state that is having a lot of cases they won't test as easily.

Since having my suspected case in early January a blood test has shown up a strange result that is of unknown significance. Looking up the issue I found out the spike on the blood test can be caused by a strong viral infection and "antigen stimulation".

So I am even more convinced that this is evidence corona virus.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:07 PM

35,070 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
I'm suspicious that there are so many "asymptomatic carriers" with a bug that's so devastating to so many others. It don't jive.
Sure it does. Here are excerpts from an article that in my view gives some hints (link):
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Times
But her 10-year-old son, Ethan, was having a friend over that night, and her husband, Mark, a lawyer, was coming off a crushing week of arbitration. She would bake an apple crisp.Then Mark Frilot — 45 years old, “never, ever sick” — came home with a fever.
The hint is run-down resistance. Though he is 45 his resistance was likely sundered by overwork. Most people, in all likelihood, are not so unfortunate.

Old 03-26-2020, 11:00 PM

6,344 posts, read 2,898,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Saw an article yesterday promoting the idea of giving people who have already had & recovered from COVID-19 a "free pass" including immunity from lockdown and "shelter in place" orders.

If an antibody test shows immunity to SARS-CoV2, you can go back to work, visit grandma in the hospital, and otherwise resume normal life.
That's what I'm hoping for.

Old 03-27-2020, 08:10 AM

5,713 posts, read 4,289,046 times
The only problem is they still have no idea how long immunity lasts. Even people with antibodies to other coronaviruses can become reinfected sometimes, and even if their symptoms are reduced they can reinfect others. We are not going to have the answers to these questions with SARS-COV-2 anytime soon. Its not going to shorten the current restrictions anytime soon. Maybe next winter, if the virus is still causing problem.

Old 03-27-2020, 08:49 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Or they were false positive on testing....It would take acute & convalescent antibody determinations to prove it one way or the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It is my understanding that most who are infected do eventually develop symptoms.
That's my understanding too, suzy. I take a dim view of these "totally asymptomatic" people making others sick. That's based on my experiences with my husband, which I have posted about many times. "My cough isn't contagious, it's 'allergies', 'just a little tickle' ", etc.

Old 03-27-2020, 09:02 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
The only problem is they still have no idea how long immunity lasts. Even people with antibodies to other coronaviruses can become reinfected sometimes, and even if their symptoms are reduced they can reinfect others. We are not going to have the answers to these questions with SARS-COV-2 anytime soon. Its not going to shorten the current restrictions anytime soon. Maybe next winter, if the virus is still causing problem.
Consider the ten dollar antibody test, with minimal actual labor involved in collecting a sample and loading it for analysis.

Once they ramp up test kit production, can just have each person take a new test once a month or so, revoke their day pass if the titers drop too low.

Old 03-27-2020, 10:00 AM

5,713 posts, read 4,289,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Consider the ten dollar antibody test, with minimal actual labor involved in collecting a sample and loading it for analysis.

Once they ramp up test kit production, can just have each person take a new test once a month or so, revoke their day pass if the titers drop too low.

Read my post again.

Old 03-28-2020, 11:03 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Not always. Many younger people don't even know they have it.
Younger people are now getting it too with bad symptoms! There are a few cases in Illinois of kids under 12 that are confirmed. The 12 yr old is on a ventilator. Many individuals that went on Spring break are also now getting it and the symptoms are bad. Many people under 50 also with bad symptoms. The problem is, no one knows enough about this virus to say, "Oh, I'm young so I'm good". With that mentality we will see more cases and more deaths!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness