Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 12:20 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,388,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
I wouldn’t know where to buy them
We are using bandanas and neck gaiters (bought for fishing in Florida). Have seen others doing the same at grocery stores in our area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2020, 03:27 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,386,537 times
I've been making my own; here's a pattern:
https://www.nytimes.com/article/how-...ronavirus.html

Old 04-01-2020, 03:48 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
[quote=nmnita;57726336]Yes, at the briefing yesterday Pres Trump said they are studying the possibility but also added no decision has been made at this time. We may all be jumping to conclusions. There isn't much else going on right now so everyday it is something new about COVID19. If it does become a policy where are we going to get all those masks and who is going to pay for them?[/quote]

That's an excellent question.

I heard on the radio yesterday that the "My Pillow" maker is turned 75% of his manufacturing to making 50,000 face masks a day. Also, a company called Stratasys is coordinating companies and even high school robotics teams to manufacture face shields from 3D printing. So far, they've made 11,000 shields. They'll make 16,000 next week.

Maybe the CDC will say "do it" when they know it'll be NOT impossible for the average Joe to get one.

Old 04-01-2020, 03:51 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
And God please...put some restrictions on how many the average person can buy. We don't need ANOTHER hoarding situation.

Old 04-01-2020, 03:55 PM

7,259 posts, read 5,131,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
I wouldn’t know where to buy them

The latest science is that the virus remains airborne for up to 3 hrs, spread by the contaminated person just breathing, and another person can become infected by breathing that air, ie- it can spread by the airborne route, in addition to aerosol (getting hit with a cough or sneeze) and via manual contamination by dried secretions on a surface.

Someone on the Current Events board from Hong Kong has pointed out that HK & S Korea have noticeably lower incidence & mortality rates than other countries although they have not curtailed business or public activities, BUT- they're all wearing masks. ...Does it now take Jonas Salk to figure this one out for us?

While supplies of N95 & surgical quality masks should probably be reserved for the medical personnel risking their lives providing care, the rest of us can probably get by wearing home made or bandana type masks. Limit your time out in public. Wash or discard the mask as soon as you get home. Remember it's presumably contaminated, so wash your hands thoroughly immediately after you take it off.

Old 04-01-2020, 04:55 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,817,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
The latest science is that the virus remains airborne for up to 3 hrs, spread by the contaminated person just breathing, and another person can become infected by breathing that air, ie- it can spread by the airborne route, in addition to aerosol (getting hit with a cough or sneeze) and via manual contamination by dried secretions on a surface.

Someone on the Current Events board from Hong Kong has pointed out that HK & S Korea have noticeably lower incidence & mortality rates than other countries although they have not curtailed business or public activities, BUT- they're all wearing masks. ...Does it now take Jonas Salk to figure this one out for us?

While supplies of N95 & surgical quality masks should probably be reserved for the medical personnel risking their lives providing care, the rest of us can probably get by wearing home made or bandana type masks. Limit your time out in public. Wash or discard the mask as soon as you get home. Remember it's presumably contaminated, so wash your hands thoroughly immediately after you take it off.
Apparently it IS too complex for the brain trusts out there.
Also, surgical masks can be reused if they are let to stand for a few days as the virus decays w/o a living host.
Then you can rotate them after each use, taking the 'next mask up' when you need one.
So it's not absolutely necessary to discard them after each use, thus no need to hoard.
An informed and compassionate people will gladly rally to do their best to end this contagion.

Old 04-01-2020, 05:02 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
[quote=Sassybluesy;57731342]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I heard on the radio yesterday that the "My Pillow" maker is turned 75% of his manufacturing to making 50,000 face masks a day. Also, a company called Stratasys is coordinating companies and even high school robotics teams to manufacture face shields from 3D printing. So far, they've made 11,000 shields. They'll make 16,000 next week.

Maybe the CDC will say "do it" when they know it'll be NOT impossible for the average Joe to get one.

It's good to see such efforts but we're going to need production of 50 million per day to make a difference. With about 350 million population and needing to change out daily that would be 9 Billion per month.

Old 04-01-2020, 05:08 PM

5,713 posts, read 4,286,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
I just heard a public TV ad saying that they don't stop you from getting COVID. But now CDC is considering telling the truth. If they don't work why do docs and nurses wear them? duh - of course they work.
l

Do you think surgeons wear masks to prevent catching disease from their patients?

Old 04-01-2020, 05:27 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Do you think surgeons wear masks to prevent catching disease from their patients?

Do you think healthcare workers are all clamoring for masks because they all have coronavirus?

Old 04-01-2020, 07:12 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
If face coverings become mandatory, maybe I will just wrap one of my bras around my head when I go out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness