Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 09:50 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,589,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
Fascinating! Thanks for sharing that link!
Well, that "study" was not a scientific one, and only observational. Still, it contains data that needs to be studied.

I'm no expert, but I think it's likely that there are different results for "overweight" vs "morbid obesity."

Being overweight a bit can actually be healthy, if you are eating right, getting exercise, and living a healthy lifestyle. It also means you can weather a bad illness, when one is likely to lose a lot of weight.

I am a 5'5" female.

I weigh 120 nude in the morning. That makes my BMI 20 (normal is 18.5–24.9)
If I weighed 150, my BMI would be 25. That makes me "overweight." (25–29.9)
I'd have to weigh 180 for my BMI to reach 30 (Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater)

So I would be considered overweight, if I weighed 150. I have weighed 150 before, and I doubt that anyone would have considered me being abnormally large, unhealthy, obese, or anything more than a bit chunky. I was also very healthy, with all normal lab results (except for Vit D deficiency). I exercised regularly, and had done so for years.

It doesn't take an Einstein to realize that if I weighed 180, my lab work would no longer be normal, and that my health would be compromised, as my heart struggled to pump blood through my large body & my lungs struggled to keep proper levels of oxygen upon exertion.

I've never had the flu or pneumonia, but if I did, I doubt my weighing 150 would have made me more susceptible to death, since I was otherwise very healthy and not so overweight that it put undue burden on my organs. Grouping me with a similar height female who weighs 200 would skew the results, IMO.

It's just common sense, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2020, 10:10 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
If face coverings become mandatory, maybe I will just wrap one of my bras around my head when I go out.
So.....you going for the Princess Leia look? I’ll be your Jabba if I can get you in that bikini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil_fields View Post
Does anyone else think they'd feel self conscious wearing a face mask to the grocery store?

It's not just about vanity, I just have never worn a big white face mask out in public.

When I first saw a few people wearing them out, I thought to myself that they were the ones that had the corona virus.
I’m wearing a neck gater. I also have full face protective mask and I ordered a few keffiyehs as head wraps. I used to have a few of them but lost them over time. I recently cleaned out my garage (I had the time) and I found d a bunch of full and half face filter masks that I had from years past when I had to go in chemical plants or in enclosed/confined space. I ordered filters and gave a bunch away, I kept two new ones that were still in plastic for myself and my wife. They work great.

I do not feel self conscious. I’m protecting myself and my family. Here is how I see it. All I need to do is protect myself as much as possible. When I get home after work or being outside in public i walk in the back door of our master. My wife is in the other room. My clothes all go in the washer a I go shower. Overkill? Maybe but I don’t care. I treat this as contagious and like I already have it. I was doing this as soon as we started having cases here.

Old 04-03-2020, 10:44 AM

14,952 posts, read 12,157,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Please stop repeating your fantasies here as if they're facts.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32167245

9000 subjects-- all health care workers dealing with hospitalized influenza pts-- both N95 and surgical masks were equally effective in preventing disease transmission to the wearers.

We have no specific data on CoV, so we can't be certain that it also holds true.

As the cited article states, in lab tests, the N95 masks filtered out more artificial dust (25x more!) but that didn't translate into clinical benefit.

It's reasonable to deduce that even a makeshift bandana may help: we don't have to filter out all virus particles, just enough to stay below the minimum effective inoculum. It certainly isn't perfect. It's less than optimum. But it's gotta be better than nothing.
I keep thinking of home-made contraptions that may suffice for nose-mouth covering in public should it get to that point. One of the ideas has been cutting up some old more or less padded bras I still have but haven't worn for years, using the cups as the mask, with elastic of some kind (depending on what I can find around here) to attach them.

Alternatively, thinking about cloth or material of some kind, and attach something like a coffee filter (thinking the large fluted kind), inside the mask next to the nose and mouth. Hardly provides M95 mask protection, but just an extra layer between the wearer and the public.

Still thinking of ideas, I'm not sure we have a bandana or scarf to our names at this point.

Old 04-03-2020, 11:05 AM

12,390 posts, read 8,159,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
So.....you going for the Princess Leia look? I’ll be your Jabba if I can get you in that bikini

I’m wearing a neck gater. I also have full face protective mask and I ordered a few keffiyehs as head wraps. I used to have a few of them but lost them over time. I recently cleaned out my garage (I had the time) and I found d a bunch of full and half face filter masks that I had from years past when I had to go in chemical plants or in enclosed/confined space. I ordered filters and gave a bunch away, I kept two new ones that were still in plastic for myself and my wife. They work great.

I do not feel self conscious. I’m protecting myself and my family. Here is how I see it. All I need to do is protect myself as much as possible. When I get home after work or being outside in public i walk in the back door of our master. My wife is in the other room. My clothes all go in the washer a I go shower. Overkill? Maybe but I don’t care. I treat this as contagious and like I already have it. I was doing this as soon as we started having cases here.
I have had a cooling towel neck gaiter around my neck for a few days even though its not hot yet as some people react with fear around others. And upon reading your post I decided to check Amazon just now April 3rd. Like toilet paper, rubbing alcohol and disposable gloves they are now unavailable or show an end of May expected delivery date. Maybe the sport and goods stores still have a limited supply as it is not an item they would stock mega quantities of. The cowboy scarf will make a comeback for those with the limited need with homemade mask for those who feel comfortable with more robust face coverings.

Old 04-03-2020, 11:21 AM

19,723 posts, read 20,255,257 times
Quote:
I keep thinking of home-made contraptions that may suffice for nose-mouth covering in public should it get to that point. One of the ideas has been cutting up some old more or less padded bras I still have but haven't worn for years, using the cups as the mask, with elastic of some kind (depending on what I can find around here) to attach them.

Alternatively, thinking about cloth or material of some kind, and attach something like a coffee filter (thinking the large fluted kind), inside the mask next to the nose and mouth. Hardly provides M95 mask protection, but just an extra layer between the wearer and the public.

Still thinking of ideas, I'm not sure we have a bandana or scarf to our names at this point.
Go ahead n get some home air filters and cut those up to use in the lining.

(You're welcome)

Old 04-03-2020, 12:56 PM

14,952 posts, read 12,157,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post

LOL, maybe the aged Carrie Fisher version of Princess Leia. I'm afraid you'd be miserably disappointed at the vision of me in a bikini, though.

I figured I'd feel sort of silly wearing a mask out in public- and probably even sillier wearing those bra-modification masks I keep thinking about. I guess we'd come up with something if we had to cover our noses/mouths when we went out, I don't plan to get tangled up with any lines/online frenzies buying masks in the event this more or less became mandatory.

Sounds like you're pretty well prepared, and already doing well in protecting your wife from any possible contagion from this thing.

Old 04-03-2020, 01:13 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Ran into the grocery story for about 5 minutes today and saw all combinations of protective gear. From about 10% going way over the top to over 1/2 not doing anything for added protection. About 25% were wearing masks.

Old 04-03-2020, 03:58 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,094,032 times
I make my own as well . Im a seamstress so i find them easy to make . I also wear cloth gloves as well and put them in the washing machine as soon as i get home .Yes everyone should wear them . I was wearing them before all this mess started because it seems i get alot of colds if i dont wear them . Im also downing my geritol every day . My husband is a volunteer first responder so we are so careful and he also sells parts for semi trucks and he sees truckers everyday .

Old 04-03-2020, 04:01 PM

12,390 posts, read 8,159,056 times
Well the Surgeon General just backed up what Los Angeles Mayor Garcetti put out yesterday. Please wear something, especially in the market just not medical grade mask

Old 04-03-2020, 04:04 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,094,032 times
Quote:

I told my sister of the bra cup idea and she told me that the bra cup is bigger than her face LOL . Omg I know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness