Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 09:36 PM

5,712 posts, read 4,289,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
that is his issue with not using it properly. i do think americans aren't used to the masks yet like they are in Asia, but over time, they will adjust. it's still better to have your face covered if you suddenly get a sneeze attack or cough surge coming on unexpectedly than walking around with none considering many people are asymptomatic with this virus.

There's a big difference. Many Asians are smart, most Americans are stupid. Asians value intelligence and studiousness; Americans value beer and guns. If its not beer or guns many Americans won't know how to use it properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2020, 09:38 PM

5,712 posts, read 4,289,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
There are some good ones, but more for pollution and kpop type of masks. I bought the one in the first link. Very good and thick with small respirator

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Men-Wom...-/283236997634

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KPOP-EXO-LU...AAAOSw5UZY-BH4

From China lol

Old 04-03-2020, 10:23 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
From China lol
isn't everything?

Old 04-03-2020, 10:40 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
The masks only do a partial job! Your eye sockets are also entry points! More foolproof, a visor for your eyes as well. And how many people are going to do that??????

Old 04-03-2020, 10:42 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I keep thinking of home-made contraptions that may suffice for nose-mouth covering in public should it get to that point. One of the ideas has been cutting up some old more or less padded bras I still have but haven't worn for years, using the cups as the mask, with elastic of some kind (depending on what I can find around here) to attach them.

Alternatively, thinking about cloth or material of some kind, and attach something like a coffee filter (thinking the large fluted kind), inside the mask next to the nose and mouth. Hardly provides M95 mask protection, but just an extra layer between the wearer and the public.

Still thinking of ideas, I'm not sure we have a bandana or scarf to our names at this point.
The thing about bras & such is that the mask is supposed to be cotton, I read in a couple of places. Bras are usually synthetic materials.

I have a lot of bandannas I use for my dog to look stylish on our walks. They're human bandannas, so I can use one of those (after washing, of course).

Here's how to fold a napkin or small piece of cloth to use as a mask, using two hair ties at the ends (I'm going to try rubber bands, since I don't have hair ties, or pick up ties at local pharmacy). No-Sew Pleated Face Mask with Handkerchief and Hair Tie and
https://tinyurl.com/w28wunv

Old 04-03-2020, 10:44 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The masks only do a partial job! Your eye sockets are also entry points! More foolproof, a visor for your eyes as well. And how many people are going to do that??????
Glasses. But I think how stuff gets into your system is through breathing in or touching. So the germs wouldn't enter through your eye area; that's more contagion from touching, I would think.

Old 04-03-2020, 11:07 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I have had a cooling towel neck gaiter around my neck for a few days even though its not hot yet as some people react with fear around others. And upon reading your post I decided to check Amazon just now April 3rd. Like toilet paper, rubbing alcohol and disposable gloves they are now unavailable or show an end of May expected delivery date. Maybe the sport and goods stores still have a limited supply as it is not an item they would stock mega quantities of. The cowboy scarf will make a comeback for those with the limited need with homemade mask for those who feel comfortable with more robust face coverings.
The neck gater is ok. Really these masks aren’t going to stop the virus but it will stop you from touching your nose and mouth. I wear a keffiyeh because it covers my whole face. I scratch the outside if needed. I have a few of them so I swap them frequently

Old 04-04-2020, 12:29 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
you're right. those who also wear glasses get some additional form of protection, but you really have to wear goggles to seal out the sides and top. i was at costco today and this one guy had goggles on and a face shield along with mask.

Old 04-04-2020, 02:52 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
I have one mask that I got a couple years ago when I visited some sea lion caves. (They hand them out because of the odor, but I didn't use mine and have it still in its package.) I guess the next time I'm at the store I will be wearing sea lion whiskers. We also have a neighbor who is sewing some; we'll get a few from her.

Old 04-04-2020, 06:44 AM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I keep thinking of home-made contraptions that may suffice for nose-mouth covering in public should it get to that point. One of the ideas has been cutting up some old more or less padded bras I still have but haven't worn for years, using the cups as the mask, with elastic of some kind (depending on what I can find around here) to attach them.

Alternatively, thinking about cloth or material of some kind, and attach something like a coffee filter (thinking the large fluted kind), inside the mask next to the nose and mouth. Hardly provides M95 mask protection, but just an extra layer between the wearer and the public.

Still thinking of ideas, I'm not sure we have a bandana or scarf to our names at this point.
Tried this with my bra. Won't work for we full figured women unless we have a Seeing Eye Dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness