Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2020, 04:32 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,542,767 times

Advertisements

Effectiveness of face mask types:

N95(95-99%), surgical/medical(80%),regular mask like fashion/ninja/kpop(70%),DYI face mask dish towel(60%), DYI face mask cotton fabric(50%), bandana(30%)

Before this pandemic, i had purchased the kpop masks from Asia for pollution, etc. I'm glad i bought a few. I'm sure most are sold out or prices jacked up now. Best to leave the N95 masks for medical pros. Otherwise, buy or make whatever you can. If it means cutting your towel in square pieces and wrapping it around your face, then do it. Something is better than nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2020, 05:19 PM

5,714 posts, read 4,296,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Effectiveness of face mask types:

N95(95-99%), surgical/medical(80%),regular mask like fashion/ninja/kpop(70%),DYI face mask dish towel(60%), DYI face mask cotton fabric(50%), bandana(30%)

Before this pandemic, i had purchased the kpop masks from Asia for pollution, etc. I'm glad i bought a few. I'm sure most are sold out or prices jacked up now. Best to leave the N95 masks for medical pros. Otherwise, buy or make whatever you can. If it means cutting your towel in square pieces and wrapping it around your face, then do it. Something is better than nothing.

Not necessarily. Take the guy working at the dollar store yesterday, who pulled his mask down to talk, then went back to handling stock, at other times wearing it around his chin. That was probably way worse than nothing.

Old 04-03-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Well the Surgeon General just backed up what Los Angeles Mayor Garcetti put out yesterday.

Linkie please? I'm not finding that. I'm finding the opposite.

Old 04-03-2020, 05:28 PM

12,391 posts, read 8,161,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Linkie please? I'm not finding that. I'm finding the opposite.
It was the daily press conference that I saw live today where the federal please wear mask, just don't buy medical grade mask came out. Just as Mayor Garcetti called out yesterday during my local daily press conference. The Surgeon General asked the public not to wear N95 and surgical mask that are needed by medical personnel but wear something to slow the transmission of infection.

I am sure any google search from the Surgeon General today will have a recap of the updated recommendations as well as Mayor Garcetti's press conference while wearing a mask yesterday.

Old 04-03-2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
It was the daily press conference that I saw live today where the federal please wear mask, just don't buy medical grade mask came out. Just as Mayor Garcetti called out yesterday during my local daily press conference. The Surgeon General asked the public not to wear N95 and surgical mask that are needed by medical personnel but wear something to slow the transmission of infection.

I am sure any google search from the Surgeon General today will have a recap of the updated recommendations as well as Mayor Garcetti's press conference while wearing a mask yesterday.

I found him saying

“The CDC is additionally advising simple cloth coverings to help people who may have the virus and do not know it keep from from transmitting to others,†said US Surgeon General Jerome Adams in a press conference at the White House today.

So by his phrasing it doesn't sound like he is agreeing or disagreeing.

Old 04-03-2020, 06:24 PM

14,955 posts, read 12,162,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I told my sister of the bra cup idea and she told me that the bra cup is bigger than her face LOL . Omg I know
LOL, I guess that could be a problem. Looks like mine would cover the nose and mouth with some room to spare. Not really a member of the "itty bitty ***** club", that would make the "masks" too small.

Old 04-03-2020, 06:31 PM

7,265 posts, read 5,147,374 times
I wouldn't put too much faith in the "tests" done on various materials for masks: they stretch the dry material across an opening and blow artificial dust in laminar flow into it, measuring how much appears on the other side. That doesn't reflect the real world very well;

In practical application, the cloth will be doubled, wrinkled & folded irregularly, not stretched. The flow will be turbulent, not laminar and will also quickly pick up moisture from your own breathe, effectively narrowing the spacing between threads and increasing the "stickiness" of the mask.

Regardless of what material you actually use, form it into a bandana style and tuck the bottom tail into your collar to avoid sucking in air around the mask rather than thru it.

As I pointed out with a legitimate, scientific reference, effectiveness in preventing contagious disease did not correlate with the effectiveness of filtering particles in the lab.

Does a Home Run count more when it goes into the upper deck than when it goes into the first row of seats?

When you take it off, assume it is contaminated. Put it immediately in the wash or discard it. Then wash your hands.

Bandanas are great. We always wore them when I rode with the Rio Grande Posse rustling cattle in my youth. With the fuzzy chaps, they make a fabulous fashion statement.

Old 04-03-2020, 07:27 PM
JL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Not necessarily. Take the guy working at the dollar store yesterday, who pulled his mask down to talk, then went back to handling stock, at other times wearing it around his chin. That was probably way worse than nothing.
that is his issue with not using it properly. i do think americans aren't used to the masks yet like they are in Asia, but over time, they will adjust. it's still better to have your face covered if you suddenly get a sneeze attack or cough surge coming on unexpectedly than walking around with none considering many people are asymptomatic with this virus.

Old 04-03-2020, 07:44 PM

355 posts, read 226,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I went to the hardware stores a couple of weeks ago, and they were all cleaned out, and wouldn't get more for quite awhile, they said. I think as soon as the pharmacies ran out of masks, everyone ran to the hardware stores next.
Try this:

https://youtu.be/EAj12GKuAEk

How To Make a Pleated Face Mask

Old 04-03-2020, 08:11 PM
JL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Nobody has them, this is the problem. The people I see in public with them must have bought them early on like nearly a month ago.

The ones on Amazon get poor reviews. The general gist is, that they're cheap Chinese ones that tear or are otherwise poorly made. And a few get good reviews, but when you read the reviews, it's obvious that the Chinese vendors are writing the reviews, because the grammar is off, LOL! I've read reviews, that say the Chinese are trying to off-load old supplies that are on the cusp of their expiration date, so the hand sanitizer loses its effectiveness after the sell-by date, the elastic on the masks breaks, and so forth.
There are some good ones, but more for pollution and kpop type of masks. I bought the one in the first link. Very good and thick with small respirator

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Men-Wom...-/283236997634

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KPOP-EXO-LU...AAAOSw5UZY-BH4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness