Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 11:50 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,068,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Because we shouldn't have to be housebound if the simplest of protocols are practiced. Wearing a mask is not a big deal and allows us some semblance of normalcy.
Even if that semblance of normalcy is an illusion... because that is what it is. A waitress wearing a mask will not prevent you from getting covid if you are vulnerable in a number of other ways in that restaurant. It just makes you feel better to see people with masks. The irony is that you don't think you are being selfish either.

Old 10-22-2020, 11:55 AM

724 posts, read 403,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Had I been alone I would have handled it easily. The complication was that I did not want to ruin the meal for my family.
Eating out when the proper precautions are followed is something I feel safe doing..
I see your dilemma. Plus, if you were with your family, you obviously can't control them, so it seems like they would have stayed, regardless. So even if you had left immediately, your family was going to stay and therefore possibly been exposed, and you would obviously see your family (and they could expose you).

So it was a lose-lose situation for you. There's not much you could do at that point.

Old 10-22-2020, 02:07 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Even if that semblance of normalcy is an illusion... because that is what it is. A waitress wearing a mask will not prevent you from getting covid if you are vulnerable in a number of other ways in that restaurant. It just makes you feel better to see people with masks. The irony is that you don't think you are being selfish either.
How am I being selfish? Wanting people to wear masks in public is selfish? Not in the least.

Old 10-22-2020, 03:03 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,068,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
How am I being selfish? Wanting people to wear masks in public is selfish? Not in the least.
Because, as you have said, you want everyone to wear a mask for your personal welfare because you are vulnerable. Regardless of their welfare.

Definition of selfish

1. Devoted to or caring only for oneself; concerned primarily with one's own interests, benefits, welfare, etc., regardless of others.
2. Characterized by or manifesting concern or care only for oneself: selfish motives.

Your motive is a selfish one, based on your self-interest.

The waitress most likely has a very good reason for not wearing one, but you don't care about that. I doubt that the restaurant owner is foolish enough to allow a server to go without a mask for no reason.

Old 10-22-2020, 03:37 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Because, as you have said, you want everyone to wear a mask for your personal welfare because you are vulnerable. Regardless of their welfare.

Definition of selfish

1. Devoted to or caring only for oneself; concerned primarily with one's own interests, benefits, welfare, etc., regardless of others.
2. Characterized by or manifesting concern or care only for oneself: selfish motives.

The waitress most likely has a very good reason for not wearing one, but you don't care about that. I doubt that the restaurant owner is foolish enough to allow a server to go without a mask for no reason.
You've got it all backwards. Wearing a mask is intended to stop the spread to others, not to protect oneself even if there may be some self protection involved. Ignoring public health laws that keep everyone safe is selfish, expecting others to obey them is not.

If you insist on driving on the left side of the road, contrary to laws for public safety and I complain about it, which one of us is selfish?

Old 10-22-2020, 03:50 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times
Quote:
...She said she had a Dr note that she did not have to wear a mask.

How would you handle that?
I would leave the place and find another place to eat.

Old 10-22-2020, 03:52 PM
KCZ

4,671 posts, read 3,665,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sportsfan View Post
That's a good point. Even more reason to exit immediately as soon as you see someone like that! I remember when the pandemic started and I went grocery shopping and there were a couple of older workers who were maskless, trying to be friendly coming right up to me speaking and handing me carts. I felt bad but I walked right away from them and got my own cart. I kinda understood because it was at the beginning of the pandemic and masks were a little harder to come by, but still....and they were elderly too, so I hope they did not catch anything.

My local supermarket, which is open for 104 hours/week, has set aside 7-8am on T-W-Th for shopping by seniors and other people who are at high risk for getting or dying from COVID. Three lousy hours out of one hundred and four. I get so angry when I see customers coming in during those times without a mask. Seriously? You can't wear a mask or shop some other time? Or in some other store? Or obey the laws and the store regulations saying you have to wear a mask?

Old 10-22-2020, 03:59 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post

If you insist on driving on the left side of the road, contrary to laws for public safety and I complain about it, which one of us is selfish?
According to SimplySagacious you should be willing to die so that the "left sided driver" is not
forced to drive the way you want them to. I bet you expect people to stop at red lights too LOL

Old 10-22-2020, 04:35 PM

Quote:

Definition of selfish

No, I want everyone to wear a mask so we can protect each other and flatten the curve of the virus so we can finally open back up. You are still the selfish one.

Old 10-22-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
According to SimplySagacious you should be willing to die so that the "left sided driver" is not
forced to drive the way you want them to. I bet you expect people to stop at red lights too LOL
Why is it so hard for you to wear a mask?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.