Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 06:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Can't explain that to most. Her handicap was probably mental-anxiety verses any actual physical issue.
No, there are physical issues that make wearing a mask not a good idea or even worse. So, though I understand what you are saying and thinking, there are real problems with masks for some.

Old 10-21-2020, 06:36 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
No, there are physical issues that make wearing a mask not a good idea or even worse. So, though I understand what you are saying and thinking, there are real problems with masks for some.
Not really.

I posted this earlier in the thread. Dr. Hansen is a pulmonologist who treats COVID-19.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaL7gIMemrU

Old 10-21-2020, 06:51 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
Just had a lunch out while traveling and the waitress came up to the table with no mask.
I asked if they weren't wearing masks there. She said she had a Dr note that she did not have to wear a mask.

How would you handle that?
For the record I was not comfortable having her that close, chatting and no mask.
I had mine off because that has been my counties recommendation, masks until you reach the table
and then off while you eat..
But you also had your mask off. What about your germs infecting her?

Old 10-21-2020, 06:56 AM

6,343 posts, read 2,898,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Do you think that those masks form an air-tight seal on their face, or do you suppose that when they exhale, some of the air comes out around the edges? If you're going to be paranoid about things, you would probably be better off to just stay home. The whole world is not going to do everything the way you want them to.

And even if they do wear masks, that's far from a sure thing in stopping the spread of the virus. There are many people (some are medical professionals) who say that an ordinary cloth mask is only slightly better than wearing nothing at all. It's kind of like putting up a chain link fence to keep mosquitoes out. It doesn't work very well when you really analyze things closely.

Oh, and do you know everywhere your family members have been all the time, every day, and who they might have been exposed to? They may have been exposed without even knowing about it, and by the time they realize they've been infected, they've already exposed you too. If you want to find things to worry about, you don't have to look beyond your own family.
A dose of reality - how refreshing.

Old 10-21-2020, 07:13 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Just had a lunch out while traveling and the waitress came up to the table with no mask.
I asked if they weren't wearing masks there. She said she had a Dr note that she did not have to wear a mask.

For the record I was not comfortable having her that close, chatting and no mask.
I had mine off because that has been my counties recommendation, masks until you reach the table
and then off while you eat..
I'd have said I'm not comfortable and asked for a different table. I did this at Kohls when I noticed one of the cashiers was wearing a mask with a vent. These masks do not filter exhalations, only inhalations and should not be allowed. I also complained about the type mask she was wearing. Not about her in fact I gave her the benefit of the doubt that she wasn't aware that her mask does not protect others, but I did say I didn't think she should be allowed to wear it at work.

Old 10-21-2020, 07:54 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,877,686 times
All of it hinges on two assumptions -

the server is sick - and she's contagious RIGHT NOW.
You don't have COVID now or in the past.

It's not a magical virus. Not wearing your masks/distance does not cause COVID. It requires a contagious person to be nearby. So however often you eat there - and considering COVID has "been a thing" going on 250 days now - what are the odds that THESE TEN DAYS are hers - and you are also available?

There is no statistical reason why she is more likely to be contagious than you at that very moment. And the odds of either of you being contagious are really - really - low. Not zero. But quite low. Maybe 1 in 300. Maybe 1 in 1000. Depends on your neighborhood. So don't over react.

The servers take this risk every - single - day - table after table - rather or not they are wearing a mask. The compassionate thing to do would be to say, I appreciate the risk you take, and I shall take it with you!

Having said that - if you're not comfy, ask the manager to get you a new table or new server. This is the case for any reason at all, not just masks.

Old 10-21-2020, 08:19 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Do you think that those masks form an air-tight seal on their face, or do you suppose that when they exhale, some of the air comes out around the edges? If you're going to be paranoid about things, you would probably be better off to just stay home. The whole world is not going to do everything the way you want them to.

And even if they do wear masks, that's far from a sure thing in stopping the spread of the virus. There are many people (some are medical professionals) who say that an ordinary cloth mask is only slightly better than wearing nothing at all. It's kind of like putting up a chain link fence to keep mosquitoes out. It doesn't work very well when you really analyze things closely.

Oh, and do you know everywhere your family members have been all the time, every day, and who they might have been exposed to? They may have been exposed without even knowing about it, and by the time they realize they've been infected, they've already exposed you too. If you want to find things to worry about, you don't have to look beyond your own family.
The point of the mask is the same point that you put your elbow to your face when you sneeze. The point is to stop people aersolizing their spit. The virus might be teeny, but it doesn't live in thin air, it live in your saliva/mucus.

I do agree with you that if you're going to a restaurant, you need a higher level of comfort with the possibility of noncompliance than OP has shown. We don't know about the guy that delivered the food to the restaurant, the guy preparing it, the strangers that used the door in and out, etc.

Old 10-21-2020, 08:41 AM

13,619 posts, read 7,936,616 times
Quote:
I would find it extremely refreshing, compliment her on her beautiful smile, and tip generously.

Old 10-21-2020, 08:45 AM

104 posts, read 61,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
But you also had your mask off. What about your germs infecting her?
Exactly, people concerned about get infected from other but they tend to forgot they're also the ones that could infected others in my opinion if you don't feel comfortable then don't dine-in just order take-out.

Old 10-21-2020, 08:52 AM

13,619 posts, read 7,936,616 times
Society is infected alright, but it's not with a virus. It's with Munchausen's Syndrome by Proxy.

Munchausen's Syndrome by Proxy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness