Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2009, 03:38 AM

64 posts, read 334,127 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I have my follow up with the surgeon tomorrow after 5 weeks post op. Just want to know if there are any key questions I should ask my doctor during this meeting? I just want to make sure I have all my questions answered but wanted to ensured I asled them all.

So any type of questions I should ask my doctor from the experienced members of this forum would be great.

Wish me luck!

Old 04-09-2009, 05:32 AM

175 posts, read 741,553 times
Bhosler, I'm sorry to hear that you have to go back on crutches for a little bit, but sometimes we have to go backward to move forward. You've come a long way, and that's the important part.

blueeyez - I'm sorry for what you are going through as well. Has the doctor said anything about healing time after getting a screw out? Good luck and I hope that you feel a lot better after this.

MY UPDATE - I went to the OS yesterday and finally heard something positive! The bones are just about healed, except for a small gap on the fibula that's being held together by the metal plate, so the doc isn't worried about it.

We discussed what the wound clinic/infectious disease doctor wants to do, and there is quite a bit of disagreement there. One told me that the screws definitely have to come out because they're contaminated, and the other one said no. Who to listen to? I did learn that if the screws come out, it's going to be another 6 weeks NWB, which made me flip. I always heard that it's so easy to get them out and quick recovery time.

Right now my OS will only feel the screws will need to come out if this last fracture blister isn't completely gone in 6 weeks. It's healing, although slowly, now that I'm on the IV, but looking at the mess under the bandage, it might not be completely gone by then. UGH!

Old 04-09-2009, 12:51 PM

68 posts, read 291,384 times
Hey Christina,
I also have a screw that may need to come out. The doctor told me that the reason i would be non weight bearing again after that i s that every where that there is a screw, it leaves a hole in the bone. So when they are removed it creates a weak spot in the bone. I am trying to hold out a yaer then i will have everything removed at the same time. Good luck!!!

Welcome Bernice!!!

Old 04-09-2009, 04:24 PM

51 posts, read 159,912 times
i have a question. if i am recieving workmans comp although i have gone back to work partial hours for my main employer can i work at my other part time job without getting into trouble..i was told as long as i am recieving workmans comp from one employer that if the ins co found out i was working somewhere else that i would be in trouble? has anyone else had any simular situation? i want to go back to work at the car wash which is very little hours but dont want to get in trouble. i was told that if i got hurt at the other job the ins co would wash their hands of me...thanks ahead for your input

Old 04-09-2009, 05:02 PM

34 posts, read 105,746 times
Hi All I'm gettin my cast removed monday . I'm in a soft cast. It will make 4 weeks exactly from when I had surgery. 6 screws and 1 plate on the tibia side of ankle and 1 screw on the fib. My question is I feel like my ankle is still is some pain and the doctor said i'm gna put some weight on it will it hurt the first time I put weight on it????and anyone know how much longer until I can actually walk around and put full weight on it?? Thank you

Old 04-09-2009, 08:43 PM

68 posts, read 291,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dely8 View Post
Hi All I'm gettin my cast removed monday . I'm in a soft cast. It will make 4 weeks exactly from when I had surgery. 6 screws and 1 plate on the tibia side of ankle and 1 screw on the fib. My question is I feel like my ankle is still is some pain and the doctor said i'm gna put some weight on it will it hurt the first time I put weight on it????and anyone know how much longer until I can actually walk around and put full weight on it?? Thank you
Hey dely8,
Be patient, i was 9 weeks post op before i was weight bearing. And then it was just 20 percent. After 12 weeks i was FWB. My injury was worse than yours so you may not be off your feet as long as i was. Good luck!!!!!

Old 04-10-2009, 09:42 AM

189 posts, read 795,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofTLaw View Post
Hi everyone,

I have my follow up with the surgeon tomorrow after 5 weeks post op. Just want to know if there are any key questions I should ask my doctor during this meeting? I just want to make sure I have all my questions answered but wanted to ensured I asled them all.

So any type of questions I should ask my doctor from the experienced members of this forum would be great.

Wish me luck!

UofTlaw,
One thing that helps me when I go to the Dr. is I make a list of questions and take it with me. During conversations with the Dr. I tend to get sidetracked and forget what I wanted to ask, so a list is very helpful. Also my husband always goes with me and it helps to have another person to ask other questions that may come up during your visit that you may not think of.

At 5 weeks after my surgery I got my fiberglass cast off and got an air boot. If you do move into the boot you will want to ask if you have to wear it at night and how often you should remove it to ice your leg. At 5 weeks I was also told I could begin to put my foot down with a little weight for balance, but still pretty much NWB for walking, just putting my foot down for balance, so ask your DR. to be specific about your WB if you are allowed. You may want to ask about driving (I can't remember if it is your rt or left leg) or a time frame when you will be able to drive again. They will do x-rays and evaluate how the bone/bones are healing and talk to you about that. And will also probably ask about your pain levels.

This is about all I can think of right now, goodluck and keep us posted on how it goes.

Nanny

Old 04-10-2009, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,782 times
InAugust my x was drunk and ran me over with his blazer! I ended up with a fracture of the tuft of the egreat toe distal phalanx and also a nonplaced distal fibula fracture... It has been 8 months and I still feel pain in the ankle area and my big toe! It is almost as though it is a terrible sprain. I can go a week and be fine then if I do too much it Kills me! Is that normal? The x rays show the bone is okay but It hurts like hell! (pardon the wording) .. could their be nerve damage at all? and if so what do I do? I havent seen my docotr in 2 months because the bills are outragious as it is. And pain meds never help! Anything I took just didnt do anything for me... I have a high tolerance for pain meds I guess.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:05 PM

62 posts, read 259,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristina1 View Post
I had a major breakthrough today. I was able to take the dog for a walk, up the street and back, with very little pain. I'm thinking that the antibiotics are finally doing their thing and hopefully the healing process will pick up the pace now.
Cristina that is great news!!! I am happy for your progress!! It must feel great to move forward again with your healing. I bet you will be good as new very fast!!!

Mike

Old 04-10-2009, 01:16 PM

62 posts, read 259,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofTLaw View Post
Hi Mike,

I guess after 6 months, it can be a bit disappointing to know that everything hasn't healed right. I am glad you have such a positive attitude. I understand what you mean about being patient, you can't rush your body and I am the same type of person as you are - very impatient and always want to see results. I am by no means anywhere close to 6 months, I just completed my first month a few days ago. You know how it is, when this happened, we realize we take a lot for granted and we become very protective over our body. In this case, I worry about a lot of things that come across my leg. Any type of pain or banging into something - I worry about it all. Baed on what you are saying, the non-union will be pretty obvious as you say there is pain when walking. I guess the most important thing is not to mistake that with healing pain.

Speaking of that, I had one of the surgeries that require a rod and screws on top and bottom and I've noticed lately that my ankle area "seems" to have a bulge where the incision was made. Worried that it might be more to be worried about. Does anyone know what I might be referring to?
Yes I bet that swelling is in the area where your bottom screws were put in. I would ice it down and keep an eye on the swelling. If it continues to swell go see the Doctor. With any type of surgery or hardware in your body there can be infections and or rejections so keep your eye on it. You did not try to put to much weight on your leg and bend a few screws did you???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness