Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2009, 01:56 PM

51 posts, read 186,856 times

Advertisements

I am hopefully getting my fiberglass cast off on april 22 - will have been 7 weeks nwb and he said I may go to FWB.

Do they normally give you a boot or walking cast then, or should I be bringing a shoe, sock???

I went out for a while on my crutches today, went into a washroom with a very heavy door and fell into the washroom! had to sit on the ground and wait for someone to come and find me to help me up because I had left my phone in my purse with my daughter... always take your cell with you.

Big bruise on my hip and side of my arm, very sore - managed to save my foot, but hurts to sit! embarrassing!

Old 04-15-2009, 08:00 PM

189 posts, read 795,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by painfulblueeyez View Post
going tomorrow to get the screw out so scared i hope i don't chicken out again

Blueeyez,

Be strong, you have already been through so much, you are probably stronger than you think. If this is what your Dr thinks is best for you and will help you heal then it will be for the best in the long run.

Goodluck my prayers are with you, let us know how it goes.

Nanny

Old 04-15-2009, 08:17 PM

189 posts, read 795,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kek411 View Post
I am hopefully getting my fiberglass cast off on april 22 - will have been 7 weeks nwb and he said I may go to FWB.

Do they normally give you a boot or walking cast then, or should I be bringing a shoe, sock???

I went out for a while on my crutches today, went into a washroom with a very heavy door and fell into the washroom! had to sit on the ground and wait for someone to come and find me to help me up because I had left my phone in my purse with my daughter... always take your cell with you.

Big bruise on my hip and side of my arm, very sore - managed to save my foot, but hurts to sit! embarrassing!

So sorry about your fall, hope your bruising heals up quickly!

I went from a fiberglass cast to an air boot, but some posters on here have gone from the cast to a shoe. I think it depends on your injury and your Dr.

I still can't get my foot in a regular tennis shoe, my crocs are the only shoes that I can get into right now.

Goodluck, I hope all goes well for you!

Old 04-15-2009, 08:38 PM

175 posts, read 741,497 times
[quote=Nannyof2;8351637]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristina1 View Post

Cristina,

Goodluck at your appt. today! I hope you get that PICC line out, I am sure you are ready to get rid of it!! I too am interested to hear what they tell you about removing your screws. I can feel the metal plate on my fibula at my ankle, and I can feel it against my airboot when I first put it on. My OS said it could eventually be removed if it bothers me, but the rest of my hardware would probably stay in. I cant imagine going back to NWB either! I hope you get good news!!

I also think the cushy mat in the shower is a GREAT idea! I am not ready to stand in the shower yet, but am definately going to get a mat first!

Thanks a bunch and goodluck!

Nanny
I got the PICC line out today! WOOOOHOOO! I am so excited! I do have to get the screws out, and it definitely means NWB for six weeks. I hate to have to do it, but if it helps me heal correctly, then that's what I have to do. So I guess I'll be spending my summer the same way I spent my winter, but hey, I get out of cooking again, right? They won't take the screws out until the orthopedic surgeon says it's okay, which I expect to hear at my next appointment with him on May 20th. No doctor appointments for me until the 13th of May when I go back to the infectious disease/wound clinic. I don't know what to do with myself!

Kek - I am so sorry to hear about your fall. I hope you feel better soon! I fell a few times while NWB, too - mostly because my sloppy dogs dribbled water on the tile floor and wet tile does not go well with crutches!

Did your doctor give you any instructions on what to bring when you get the cast off? I had a script for a boot and had to bring the boot with me. If you aren't sure, call and ask him.

Painful - good luck getting your screws out. If it helps, then it's a good thing, right? At least, that's what I keep telling myself!

Nanny, thanks so much for all of your kind words. I truly appreciate it.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:52 PM

34 posts, read 105,734 times
i am its weird because its been 4 weeks since surgery and the doctor told me i can put as much weight on it if i could take it.the doctor actually told me to exercise and get it lose for pt on friday . i have no boot or anything i am on my bear foot, i have been putting little bit of weigh on it..all the pain im gettin is because of my foot being swollen and the cracks in my skin..also i can move my ankle up and down but when i stretch it down i feel a pain run up the back of my leg is this normal?

Old 04-16-2009, 06:31 AM

69 posts, read 334,329 times
cristina1-congrats on getting your pic line out, you sound like your in really good spirts
dely8- the pain up the back of the leg is normal it is the just muscles being tight the more you move your foot the looser they will get and less pain you will feel

Old 04-16-2009, 09:51 AM

51 posts, read 159,892 times
dely8,what were your injuries and to what extent? just wandering..i am goin on 6 weeks post op for tibia..still no wb. will be over 8 weeks when i will get my brace off and start wb..mike

Old 04-16-2009, 10:19 AM

27 posts, read 119,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kek411 View Post

Sorry to hear about your fall. It's definetly possible you may go directly to a shoe. I went from a cast to a shoe after 7 weeks NWB.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:50 PM

51 posts, read 186,856 times
painful - hope everything went well for your surgery - scary, but if it is what the DR things is best... let us know

Cristina - a whole new level of freedom without the picc line - hope you are feeling better -I get out of cooking - a good way to look at it! I am still trying to cook NWB... put a chair in the kitchen that I can prop my knee on, but pretty boring meals. Lots of pre-prepared...

I called my dr about whether I should bring a shoe, etc. and got the "we won't know until we xray and see you" so I will have to bring something along just in case - don't know that I even have a shoe that I may be able to get on.

My toes and sole of my foot are so cracked I imagine it will be painful to put it down anyway. Bought some vitamin E oil which I massaged in yesterday - it seems to sit on the surface all day - I guess it will absorb eventually. Any advice for this?

Old 04-16-2009, 12:50 PM

4 posts, read 15,361 times
hello.. Has anyone ever experienced the bone just not healing in one spot? I broke my tibia 8 months ago and there is one spot that just wont heal and everything else is fine. the doctor wants to put a thincker rod in and told me that works every time. I looked online and I think its called a nonunion. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if there is other options than surgery? thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.