Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2009, 07:14 AM

69 posts, read 334,354 times

Advertisements

Just a little FYI anyone still suffering with lots of swelling I am wearing a Jobst compression stocking thigh high and it works wonders. It has cut down on the swelling and has even helped with the pain. You do need to talk to your doctor first and get a script for them and they are expensive but some insurances will cover them. I have to go back to the doctor on 4/29 and hoping to be set free at that time, been 5 months since the accidnet will most likely limp for the rest of the my life but at least I still have me leg !

Old 04-22-2009, 10:18 AM

62 posts, read 259,582 times
I think it is probably normal, you have not had the blood flowing through your foot under pressure. Your muscles are stiff. I am always in pain so I am not sure what normal is. Can you try to put some weight on your toes for a while and then graduate to more weight on your foot? Do you have a indoor pool close by, I learned to walk the first time at the YMCA in the pool. This takes a lot of weight off and allows you to ease into full weight bearing on your foot! Good luck we are all with you!!!

Mike

Old 04-22-2009, 12:01 PM

27 posts, read 119,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dely8 View Post
hey everyone its been 8 day since ive had my cast off and i still cant walk due to pain on the bottom of my foot is this normal ?
I got in a shoe 6 weeks post OP. My OS just told me get the shoe on and start walking. I tried, but no way, it was just to difficult. I needed a walker for the first 2 days, and used a cane for another 10 days. I can tell you the first 10 days were very challenging, I really found it quite painfull to walk. Mornings were very tough, as was walking barefoot on hard floors. The bottom of my foot was especially tender. Things started easing up after about 2 weeks. Walking the first week was so difficult it was hard for me to believe the pain would ever go away. I would say what you are experiencing is similar to what I went through. It's now been 6 weeks since I have been FWB and things are much better. Take your time, it will get better. Your in the home stretch. I found this stage that you are in to be the most difficult part of this whole experience. Fortunately, it only lasts 3 to 4 weeks before it starts to ease up. You are going to get swelling and evenings are quite painfull as your ankle is going to be tired. I found ice and elevation to really help.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:31 PM

20 posts, read 50,569 times
hi all well got cast off today my os said you need to walk on it but he don't gey it that it hurts pulls and my foot is stuck so i can;t get it on the floor this sucks so bad i will lose my job by june 18th if i can't walk i am an lna at my local nursing home i wish i could actually speek to some of you i thinkm it would help this deppression im in i am too young with no pain tollerance lucky me

Old 04-22-2009, 07:54 PM

68 posts, read 291,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by painfulblueeyez View Post
hi all well got cast off today my os said you need to walk on it but he don't gey it that it hurts pulls and my foot is stuck so i can;t get it on the floor this sucks so bad i will lose my job by june 18th if i can't walk i am an lna at my local nursing home i wish i could actually speek to some of you i thinkm it would help this deppression im in i am too young with no pain tollerance lucky me

Did the doctor give you a brace or aircast to wear. When you say your foot is stuck, how do you mean. If it is stiff that is normal. I know it is tough but you need to move it. it will get better as time goes on. I know all about the depression thing. Been there done that. hang in there!!! I know the pain is bad but you need to grin and bare it.

Joyklou

Old 04-22-2009, 08:08 PM

189 posts, read 795,669 times
Quote:

blueeyez

Joy is right, you need to keep moving your foot as much as you can to get your mobility back. I know it is hard, but you have to keep pushing. Did your PT give you some exercises and stretches to do? That should help too. I have gone through many days where I just meltdown and wonder if I am ever going to be normal again, I can't work yet either, my job required me to be on my feet all day too. I get soooo bored, but am trying to do what I can to stay positive. This forum has helped so much. Keep using it to express what you are going through, it is theraputic, and there is so much support here, we are all pulling for you!

Old 04-22-2009, 10:06 PM

175 posts, read 741,553 times
Well, it looks like my surgery is going to be tomorrow. Today I noticed a rash around my fracture blister, so I called the wound clinic who had me come in. The rash was oozing by then, and they immediately called the OS, who had me come to his office right away. After X-rays and consultation, they decided that it would be best to remove the screws tomorrow, so off I go. I'm nervous - I hope it hurts a lot less taking them out than putting them in. I keep thinking that this will be the end - the screws come out and I'll be magically cured. I know reality is going to bite me in the butt, but I really hope that this helps speed up the healing.

Painful - I think I understand what you mean by saying your foot is "stuck." When I first got my cast off, there was NO WAY my foot could sit flat on the floor next to the other one. I had the benefit of the aircast to help me get my feet together, but a really comfy pair of shoes will help greatly. Your muscles don't want to do their job right now and you have to make them. The only way to do that is to use them, and gently stretch them. Don't force it or you'll pull something, but definitely do your exercises a minimum of four times a day. Good luck - it does get better.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Blueeyez,

Listen up, your foot will move and its going to hurt like hell. It is probably the worst thing you have ever felt. We all know how bad it hurts, If the doctor said its good to go then the only thing holding you back is you! Listen up! you have two kids and a boyfriend who wants to marry you waiting and hoping that you will be back to normal.
You need to fight through the pain in order to get your ability to walk back. Yell, scream, curse,, or cry whatever you have to do when it hurts. You only get to be depressed when you not allowed to walk, now is the time to face the fear and pain and walk! You do it and when you finish the feeling of accomplishment will make the pain worth it. These are moments in our lives that test our character and our courage. I believe your pain hurts and I feel every bit of it that you do and so do the rest of us. You can do this, and each day it will get easier and easier. We will be here for you along the way. I have been at this for over a year and a half I just had my second surgery to re construct my leg and I have walked on a broken leg for over a year with crappy agonizing pain everyday! Now I am three weeks after the surgery and I can not wait to try and walk. I know I will get crazy and cry out in pain and I am starting over again. I am on stupid pain meds that make me curse and scream at every stupid thing. I have tried to walk a little and crap it hurts. But I will do it. You will do it and we all will do it and get on with our lives and be stronger than ever.

Mike

Old 04-22-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristina1 View Post
Well, it looks like my surgery is going to be tomorrow. Today I noticed a rash around my fracture blister, so I called the wound clinic who had me come in. The rash was oozing by then, and they immediately called the OS, who had me come to his office right away. After X-rays and consultation, they decided that it would be best to remove the screws tomorrow, so off I go. I'm nervous - I hope it hurts a lot less taking them out than putting them in. I keep thinking that this will be the end - the screws come out and I'll be magically cured. I know reality is going to bite me in the butt, but I really hope that this helps speed up the healing.

Painful - I think I understand what you mean by saying your foot is "stuck." When I first got my cast off, there was NO WAY my foot could sit flat on the floor next to the other one. I had the benefit of the aircast to help me get my feet together, but a really comfy pair of shoes will help greatly. Your muscles don't want to do their job right now and you have to make them. The only way to do that is to use them, and gently stretch them. Don't force it or you'll pull something, but definitely do your exercises a minimum of four times a day. Good luck - it does get better.
Cristina,
I had a long rod from my knee to my ankle with 4 screws the first time. I had them out 3 weeks ago and the ones in my ankle are a little sore still and the ones by my knee I dont feel a thing. I think the ankle is just more sensitive. I am sure that it will feel better when they are out. I will be thinking of you and say a prayer or two. Good luck and keep us posted because you know we will all be waiting to hear from you.

Mike

Old 04-22-2009, 11:20 PM

34 posts, read 105,746 times
yea im able to fit my foot into my shoe now but its really tight..its the upper bottom part of my foot its a horrible pain when i put weigh on it. i didnt have pt the other day because they are book until may 1st which is still another week.but on a good note i am starting to see my veins on my foot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness