Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2009, 12:02 PM

62 posts, read 259,616 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I hope everyone is doing well, hello new folks man we get more each day it seems! Well it was day 14 after the second surgery and I was at the store. I went into a shoe store to look at shoes and it is usually very sad because my injured foot has always been swollen and in an air cast for the last year and a half. I donated all my right shoes and sneakers to the veterans who needed them after losing limbs in action.

I havent worn two shoes for a year and a half but I no longer have a aircast after this surgery. I am wearing a brace around my knee and shin. I found a pair of wide sized sketchers and I thought why not see if I can wear them both. Well they fit!!!!And I bought two pairs!!! When I got to the counter my fiance was there and I was wearing a complete pair of sneakers!! Well I started to cry right there on the spot like a baby!!!!!!!

A big baby crying over a couple pairs of sneakers!! It was a moment in my life with a lot of meaning!! Just being able to dress with a pair of sneakers and no cast is a very happy day. I hope everyone takes the time out to thank everyone who has helped them along these tough journeys we have all experienced or are still experiencing. When you can do something again that you havent been able to do celebrate!!!!

Mike

Old 04-17-2009, 12:49 PM

189 posts, read 795,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms View Post
Hi All,

I hope everyone is doing well, hello new folks man we get more each day it seems! Well it was day 14 after the second surgery and I was at the store. I went into a shoe store to look at shoes and it is usually very sad because my injured foot has always been swollen and in an air cast for the last year and a half. I donated all my right shoes and sneakers to the veterans who needed them after losing limbs in action.

I havent worn two shoes for a year and a half but I no longer have a aircast after this surgery. I am wearing a brace around my knee and shin. I found a pair of wide sized sketchers and I thought why not see if I can wear them both. Well they fit!!!!And I bought two pairs!!! When I got to the counter my fiance was there and I was wearing a complete pair of sneakers!! Well I started to cry right there on the spot like a baby!!!!!!!

A big baby crying over a couple pairs of sneakers!! It was a moment in my life with a lot of meaning!! Just being able to dress with a pair of sneakers and no cast is a very happy day. I hope everyone takes the time out to thank everyone who has helped them along these tough journeys we have all experienced or are still experiencing. When you can do something again that you havent been able to do celebrate!!!!

Mike

Mike,

Reading your post made me cry.... I am so happy for you!!! I know that being able to put on a pair of shoes IS a BIG DEAL!! You are not a big baby, this is such an emotional journey we are on and when you are able to make it over another hurdle, no matter how small it might seem to some, it can be overwhelming! It has only been 3 months for me, I can only imagine how you felt after a year and a half.

What an awesome idea to donate your shoes to our veterans that need them!

I have been wondering how you are recovering, so it is good to know you are progressing well!

You are right about celebrating each obstacle we overcome. Sometimes I get so impatient, wanting to do things I used to do and I can't yet, it can be so depressing. Just like yesterday, I was able to do some house cleaning, but was so frustrated that I had to sit and rest my leg in between chores. I just need to be thankful that I can even do those chores again, even if I am alot slower and have to rest. Thanks for the reminder! I needed it!

Nanny

Old 04-17-2009, 05:50 PM

175 posts, read 741,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms View Post
Hi All,

Mike
Mike, I was reading your story and crying like a baby. I am so happy for this HUGE milestone for you!

Enjoy those sneakers!

Tina

Old 04-18-2009, 01:59 PM

20 posts, read 50,574 times
well i had my screw out and they bent my foot up cause it was stuck and hard casted me im sore very sore but happy i did it

Old 04-18-2009, 02:08 PM

139 posts, read 588,327 times
My thoughts and prayers will be with you painfulblueeyez. Everything will be okay again just stay positive.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:06 PM

51 posts, read 186,910 times
painfulblueeyez, hope you are feeling better today. Glad it is over - you got through the fear, now onto the healing.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:29 PM

20 posts, read 50,574 times
thank you all still really sore were they took the screw out having painful pressure and muscle spasms but all part of healing just want to get rid of the pain and walk and be me again my fiance keeps telling me he misses me i miss me too and i miss being able to care for him and my 2 boys but once i can walk i can get married so i got to push myself for him and me but i appriciate all the support you all give can't wait to be pain free it will be so nice

Old 04-19-2009, 06:43 PM

5 posts, read 77,561 times
What a great informative post you have. Thanks! I'm almost 5 weeks into my recovery for this same type of break. I'm going quite nutty laying around so much. I'm normally a very active person and this is making me crazy. I've started going to the gym again though, to work on upper body to keep myself as strong as possible and try to keep my injured leg from getting any weaker (working on the quad and hamstring a wee bit while keeping my leg non weight-bearing).

Old 04-19-2009, 07:34 PM

189 posts, read 795,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by painfulblueeyez View Post
thank you all still really sore were they took the screw out having painful pressure and muscle spasms but all part of healing just want to get rid of the pain and walk and be me again my fiance keeps telling me he misses me i miss me too and i miss being able to care for him and my 2 boys but once i can walk i can get married so i got to push myself for him and me but i appriciate all the support you all give can't wait to be pain free it will be so nice

Blueeyez,
Glad you got through your fears and went through with your surgery. I hope you are feeling better. Having a wedding to look forward to is great , congrats! That will help motivate you on your road to healing!

Rosie,
Sorry about your injury, hope you are recovering well. You are right, this is a great site, it has helped me so much. I am normally a very active person too and it has been very tough not being able to do much. That is great that you are able to get to the gym, it helps being able to get out of the house and it gives you something to look forward to . Goodluck on your recovery!

Nanny

Old 04-20-2009, 10:54 AM

62 posts, read 259,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dely8 View Post
does anyone that has either a plate or screws in their ankle able to feel it when u touch ur skin???
Well it seems I have a new group to join! The plate and screw club! I just had a rod and screws taken out and now I have a plate from my knee to my ankle. The swelling just went down and now I can see it and touch it! I had no idea the plate was going to be this long. i think if i go swimming I will sink to the bottom of the pool!! Hey are we threatened by lightning more so than others? I am going to try and stick magnets to my shin!! you know like little trains to ride along my stiches that go from knee to ankle lol. I can feel some screws but not all of them there are 14 i think.
Hi Nanny, Hi green, Hi Baby I did not know everyone had plates, I will be asking questions as this thing heals. You might think I am crazy but the leg with the plate is heavier than the other without. Does anyone feel the plate causing discomfort pinching or itching? I do not know what to expect.

thanks

mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness