Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2009, 08:15 PM

189 posts, read 795,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dely8 View Post
hey everyone i got my soft cast off yesterday and doctor said i can put weight on it but i cant?? my foot looks like a potatoe its really swollen and blue and purple and the skin is all cracked is it suppose to be like that???

Yes, it is somewhat normal to have the discoloration and swelling at this point. Make sure you keep your leg elevated as much as possible and ice it too, that will help alot with the swelling. Swelling can inhibit healing so it is very important to keep the swelling under control. The cracked skin will get better too, mine was like that too, lots of lotion and if you can scrub it in the shower that will help (if it is not too painful).

Are you in an air boot? I was really scared to put any weight on my foot at first. My OS had me start with just putting it on the floor for balance with my air boot and begin to put a little weight on it that way. Have you started PT? If not, ask your OS when you can start, the sooner the better. PT has helped me so much! Helped so much with the fear of putting weight on my foot, I was so scared because of the pain in the beginning but it does get better with time.

Getting out of your cast is another step forward in your healing, celebrate each step as it brings you closer to walking again.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:41 PM

139 posts, read 588,327 times
I agree with everyone dely Congrats on getting your cast off. I goop up my foot everynight with vaseline. Discoloration is normal. Pace yourself on putting weight on your foot. It is freedom to be able to walk. It opens a whole new world of triumphs and challenges to be able to walk again. I am now working on walking around the house with no shoe on a week ago never would have thought that was ever possible. The suggestion about getting a bubbly mat for the shower was the best idea gave me more balance and security in the shower. Good luck dely!!!

Old 04-14-2009, 10:27 PM

34 posts, read 105,764 times
hey thanks for all the replies. my ankle is free no boot or anything like that i have pt friday but the dr told me to try and put some weight on it..the thing with that is my foot is so swollen i cant even balance it . i feel like my foots warped. Does putting my foot and ankle in hot water help? i feel like the ice aint cutting it

Old 04-15-2009, 06:01 AM

175 posts, read 741,640 times
Dely, when I first got my cast off, the swelling was horrible and I couldn't put my foot flat on the floor at all. It was all twisted and gross looking. Even now, I notice as the swelling begins to come back, my foot automatically balls up and I am working on that. It's all normal. Congrats on getting the cast off - that's a HUGE milestone.

Bhosler - I am glad that the bubbly mat in the shower helped you! I know that I was deathly afraid of the shower until we got one. It was definitely a confidence builder for me.

It sounds like everyone is coming along, which is great! Congrats to all!

I have an appointment at the wound clinic tonight and will find out if I really do get the PICC line out tomorrow. I've got my fingers crossed on this - I hate that thing! I also need to find out about getting the screws out. After hearing that I'll be back to NWB for six weeks, I am scared to death of getting them out. I'm doing so good right now, and sometimes even walk as close to normal as I can, and do not want the set-back.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:17 AM

Last night I went and bought an Ace Brand Ankle Support. Meijers right now has them on sale for $9.99. It is a pull up support that compresses to help swelling and promote healing. There are three kinds and I bought the middle on advanced. What a difference it has made in my ankle swelling and support. Cannot believe the overnight difference. Whoo hoo with this can actually walk on floor and carpet without my shoe and it felt so good. Its the little things in world that I in the past have taken for granted that I feel like a new kid with a new toy. Two weeks ago gave up ever thinking that I would be able to walk with no sock no shoe and this ankle support made it happen. Now if I could just get patience down pat I'd be set.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dely8 View Post
hey thanks for all the replies. my ankle is free no boot or anything like that i have pt friday but the dr told me to try and put some weight on it..the thing with that is my foot is so swollen i cant even balance it . i feel like my foots warped. Does putting my foot and ankle in hot water help? i feel like the ice aint cutting it

Did the Dr tell you how your bones are healing?? I am a little surprised at 4 weeks post op you would not be in some kind of boot or support brace, what did your OS say about that. Does anyone else think this is unusual???

My foot was also very, very stiff when I got my cast off. They gave me an air boot and the nurse told me to push my foot into the bottom of the boot.........there was no way!! My ankle was so tight, it took me 3 days of stretching and moving my ankle around until I could feel my foot on the bottom of the boot. So gently keep working with that, your PT will help.

As far as applying heat, I have heard some here say it is helpful for them to alternate heat with ice. When I am in the shower hot water does feel good to me, I just sit there and spray the hot water on it kind of like a massage, but other than that, I use ice packs. You can try different things and see what works for you. Your skin is probably pretty tender since you just got your cast off so be careful not to use too much heat at first.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:32 AM

[quote=cristina1;8350817]Dely, when I first got my cast off, the swelling was horrible and I couldn't put my foot flat on the floor at all. It was all twisted and gross looking. Even now, I notice as the swelling begins to come back, my foot automatically balls up and I am working on that. It's all normal. Congrats on getting the cast off - that's a HUGE milestone.

Bhosler - I am glad that the bubbly mat in the shower helped you! I know that I was deathly afraid of the shower until we got one. It was definitely a confidence builder for me.

It sounds like everyone is coming along, which is great! Congrats to all!

I have an appointment at the wound clinic tonight and will find out if I really do get the PICC line out tomorrow. I've got my fingers crossed on this - I hate that thing! I also need to find out about getting the screws out. After hearing that I'll be back to NWB for six weeks, I am scared to death of getting them out. I'm doing so good right now, and sometimes even walk as close to normal as I can, and do not want the set-back.[/!

Cristina,

Goodluck at your appt. today! I hope you get that PICC line out, I am sure you are ready to get rid of it!! I too am interested to hear what they tell you about removing your screws. I can feel the metal plate on my fibula at my ankle, and I can feel it against my airboot when I first put it on. My OS said it could eventually be removed if it bothers me, but the rest of my hardware would probably stay in. I cant imagine going back to NWB either! I hope you get good news!!

I also think the cushy mat in the shower is a GREAT idea! I am not ready to stand in the shower yet, but am definately going to get a mat first!

Thanks a bunch and goodluck!

Nanny

Old 04-15-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhosler877 View Post
Last night I went and bought an Ace Brand Ankle Support. Meijers right now has them on sale for $9.99. It is a pull up support that compresses to help swelling and promote healing. There are three kinds and I bought the middle on advanced. What a difference it has made in my ankle swelling and support. Cannot believe the overnight difference. Whoo hoo with this can actually walk on floor and carpet without my shoe and it felt so good. Its the little things in world that I in the past have taken for granted that I feel like a new kid with a new toy. Two weeks ago gave up ever thinking that I would be able to walk with no sock no shoe and this ankle support made it happen. Now if I could just get patience down pat I'd be set.

I am glad the Ace ankle support is so helpful! I will keep that in mind for when I can get rid of my airboot!! I can't imagine walking barefoot right now, too painful! I know what you mean about patience, when you figure it out let me know.......I need it right now!

Old 04-15-2009, 08:29 AM

For me I only wore the airboot the first 6 weeks of my injury, I never had a cast so when I first went 20% WB I had to go out to a shoe store and buy a good good pair of walking tennis shoes that had the gray in the middle for balance. So for me basically that cam airboot was worthless to me. I would suggest it was better for me when I started out WB to use a walker gave me more confidence and balance. It was about three weeks into therapy when they had me try crutches. I kept telling myself NO PAIN NO GAIN every single time I took a step because it hurt so bad at first now piece of cake.

Nanny today I keep telling myself patience do not over do it. I am so independent it is so hard for me so if I keep telling myself patience you are doing fine baby steps so far this morning it has worked.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:31 PM

20 posts, read 50,574 times
going tomorrow to get the screw out so scared i hope i don't chicken out again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness