Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2009, 06:04 PM

189 posts, read 795,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristina1 View Post
Thanks, Nanny. I am so ready to get this over with, so I just wish they'd do it now! LOL I'll spend my summer on a lounge chair in the sun, with my boys and hubby waiting on me hand and foot. Doesn't sound that bad when I put it that way, does it? LOL

You know, it really doesn't sound too bad at all when you put it that way! I guess you just gotta do what you gotta do!

Old 04-16-2009, 07:47 PM

139 posts, read 587,997 times
Cristina my accident was 1/14/09. They feel the bone is unstable because of how the harness metal is and even though ankle is swelling because of foreign metal they said if they took out the plate and 2 screws to counteract the swelling the ankle would be unstable not strong enough to hold on its on and just learning to walk they are afraid just landing on it wrong could rebreak it.

dely when you go to therapy they will show you what is better for you. In my case starting out with crutches was better for me cane just could not get right balance at first and make sure you have good walking shoes. I have really good therapy guys that really know their stuff and they have helped me so much in learning to walk. Cannot deny it really hurts alot to relearn to walk but each day gets better and better. You find when you first start on 2 crutches you soon ditch one crutch and then soon ditch cane and remember to do it slowly like baby steps. Develop patience. If anyone finds my patience let me know been looking all over for it.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:08 PM

34 posts, read 105,694 times
how long is ft session? and how long does it usually last up until i can walk i assume//?

Old 04-16-2009, 11:24 PM

29 posts, read 91,290 times
Long long time no post...sorry about that. Been uber busy with school in general, homework, massive project, midterm exam, another porject, etc. Things are feeling much better. I figure from a bump on my shin that thats were all the pain was coming from -it was pressing on nerves. I would like to say im pain free but cant. I have started jogging again...after 3 years! but standing is still painful -i dont see how that is: motion isent to bad but standing in one place is). Sometimes there are random bursts of pain but not many at a time which is good...the red blotch is still. Its were theres a big clump of scar tissue is under the skin. I dont know if it will ever be normal again but im very very pleased. So, how is everyone? I guess not many people remember me anymore. I know Monica does...MONICA, how are you? Walking I hope...I will try to catch up on reading but I am going camping this weekened so it will have to wait till next week...i should finish packing now so good luck to all!

Old 04-17-2009, 05:24 AM

1 posts, read 2,607 times
hi, my partner had titanium rods put in his leg due to motor bike accident, one from the ankle to the knee cap n one from the knee to the hip, they gave him alot of greif and rubbed on his tenant and hip and he lost all flexibility in that leg, he has now had them removed and it would be great to hear from anyone that has had this op as we would like to know what to expect after recovery...will he gain flexibilty back? if anybody can help please email us on arrontimothy@vodafone.co.nz

thanks

Old 04-17-2009, 06:50 AM

34 posts, read 105,694 times
does anyone that has either a plate or screws in their ankle able to feel it when u touch ur skin???

Old 04-17-2009, 07:13 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,159,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dely8 View Post
does anyone that has either a plate or screws in their ankle able to feel it when u touch ur skin???
I have a plate and screws just below my knee cap. Yes, I/you/anyone can see it and feel it. It does look a bit deformed BUT if I can go back to walking and enjoying outdoor life, it is a small price to pay.
My plate is located on the outer side of my knee at the tibia plateau (sp) which was shattered.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:38 AM

69 posts, read 334,242 times
dely8

On my one leg I can feel the plate and on the other leg I can feel one of the screws right above my ankle. The leg were I can feel the screw is my new injury and I have a dr appt on 4/29 very nervous he is going to say it needs to come out.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:24 AM

189 posts, read 795,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dely8 View Post

I have a plate and screws on the outside of my Rt ankle, now that the swelling has gone down I can definately feel the metal plate. I have 2 screws on the inside of my Rt ankle, I can feel a little nub but not sure if it is a screw head or part of my bone where it is healing......go back to the OS April 30th and will ask.

By the way , how did your PT go today?

Old 04-17-2009, 11:46 AM

62 posts, read 259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lint View Post
hello.. Has anyone ever experienced the bone just not healing in one spot? I broke my tibia 8 months ago and there is one spot that just wont heal and everything else is fine. the doctor wants to put a thincker rod in and told me that works every time. I looked online and I think its called a nonunion. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if there is other options than surgery? thank you
Hi Lint,
Yes I do know what a non union is and I have just had a second surgery to correct one. I had a shattered tibea/fibula in a car accident. All my bones healed except a large spiral fracture on my tibea. It took a year and a half to determine whether or not it was going to grow together or remain a non union. My doctor wanted to put a bigger rod in for the second operation also but that would make my Tibea thinner because they ream a larger hole in your leg to put the bigger rod in. This was not good, I went to the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC and saw a Dr Helfet. He is one of the best in the world to fix these types of non unions. I just had surgery 16 days ago and the Dr took out the rod and screws and put my leg together with a compression plate and 14 screws. It feels solid now and is healing very fast. I regained the same length and it just feels so much more together. I would recomend Dr Helfet to anyone who is in need of a surgery for a non union. Hope this info was helpful!!!

Mike

Last edited by simms; 04-17-2009 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness