Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2008, 07:38 PM

117 posts, read 699,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiannv View Post
HELLO:

Went to the ortho today. Bone is healing. Will go back again in two weeks and is bone is healing. willl take out screws and plate. Hopefully some therapy. I have whirlpool therapy at home. I do that every day. I am very depressed though. I am walking but partial weight bearing. I want to be where I was. I am 57 years old. Cant wait to remove these screws. They are horrible. I take Ambien for sleep as I have nightmares. Scars are not that bad but they are there. When they take the screws out they only make an incision on the top and they take them out. About and hour and half in surgery. So far I have not had any swelling. Hope I recover soon as I was an active person. Hope you answer back. Thanks

Hi there, it sounds like your bones are healing nicely.
I know what you mean about being depressed, I went through that last year, it was awful! It felt like nobody understood. Trust me it'll just be a bad memory someday, keep posting your thoughts, it'll help with your sanity..
Did you find out when your surgery is for the hardware removal?
Ouch, it sounds like thats were your pain is coming from.
Once you have them removed you'll get back to yourself again, be patient.
My accident was almost 16 month ago and my fibula still never fuse together, when I found out in Jan. 2008 this year my depression came back, luckily I found this site, it has kept me from going nuts!!
And I have you guys to thank for being there for me.
keep in touch.

Nel

Old 05-07-2008, 09:40 PM

17 posts, read 88,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nel-compound fracture View Post
Hi there, it sounds like your bones are healing nicely.
I know what you mean about being depressed, I went through that last year, it was awful! It felt like nobody understood. Trust me it'll just be a bad memory someday, keep posting your thoughts, it'll help with your sanity..
Did you find out when your surgery is for the hardware removal?
Ouch, it sounds like thats were your pain is coming from.
Once you have them removed you'll get back to yourself again, be patient.
My accident was almost 16 month ago and my fibula still never fuse together, when I found out in Jan. 2008 this year my depression came back, luckily I found this site, it has kept me from going nuts!!
And I have you guys to thank for being there for me.
keep in touch.

Nel
Hi Nel:

I go back to the doctor on 5-19-08. I am doing alot better. I am walking much better however I still cannot wear regular shoes yet. Wearing tennis shoes with a lot of support. I am 5 months now. I suffer panic attacks sometimes. I do not know why. My ortho has not given me any PT yet.
I hope I get my screws out and plate. I do not know about the rod though.
Do people who suffer this injury go on disability? I want to be well.
I have a very supporting boyfriend who does everything for me. It is hard
sometimes. I do work and I have a desk job. I will let you know what happens at the doctor's office. Thanks for answering me back.
Do we really fully recover and go on with our lifes? Is there such a thing?
Sandy

Old 05-07-2008, 09:48 PM

1 posts, read 5,507 times
Unhappy Fractured Tibia & Fibula w/Fixation surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Hi!

Has anybody here ever had this type of a fracture to the leg? - Fractured Tibia and Fibula (Broken Lower Leg Bones) with Fixation Surgery.

I broke my leg back on July 3rd, had the surgery on July 13th, and was wondering if anybody else had this and how long did it take to fully recover? I'm still in pain one month after the break.

Thank you
My husband crushed his tibia and fractured fibula in 2 places of left leg on Aug. 29th, 2007. He had fixation surgery the next morning, was in the hospital 4 days. Since that we have been trying to heal up the wounds where the bones were poking nearly thru the skin. He had a lot of damage to the flesh, etc. We got one wound healed quite quickly (about 6 weeks). The larger wound is almost closed now...after we used Duoderm, Hydroferra, and a wound VAC, and finally packing with ribbon gauze and antibiotic ointment. In November, the week b/4 Thanksgiving he went back in the hospital because his left foot was all broken out in blisters and draining, even from between his toes. He was allergic to all the tapes and dressings we were using. He got out on Thanksgiving day! Then on January 27th, 2008 (on a Sunday night, no less, when we had a -40F wind chill) he started telling me he was having some pain in his chest on right side, especially when he would inhale. Being I am a nurse I was concerned to say the least!! His heart rate had been more rapid for a few days, but he did not seem to realize it; I just noticed it when doing vital checks on him in AM's. We are 25 miles from the closest hospital, and 50 miles from the one we usually go to and where our primary care doctor is located. Since he is 75 and I am 73 I did not think it was wise to get out in that cold, windy night, so we went to bed and that night I did not sleep much. The next AM we got over to our Primary care Doc as soon as possible. My suspicions were right... he had atril fib and plueral effusion, and several small blood clots in his right lung...after 5 months past accident!! Another week in the hospital, and then home with me giving him shots in his belly 2 x's a day, and eventually on oral anticoagulant, and also medication for his heart!! This man rarely ever took a pill in his life b/4 this accident happened; he was so healthy!!

He has a rod thru the tibia with 2 screws at the top and 2 at the bottom. He has a plate with screws on the fibula for the 2 breaks there. ALL THIS TIME THERE IS NO HEALING GOING ON IN THE BONES!! Now, this last week we found out he has osteomyelitis (infection) in the bones. The Ortho wants to go in and take out all the hardware and keep him in the hospital on IV antibiotics untill all the infection is cleared up and then they will put all the hardware back in again! (Their estimate is that he could be in the hospital for 4-6 weeks on IV antibiotics). Only now, he has some REAL risk factors to consider!! He has this heart condition of atrial fibrillation we have to be concerned about, and the risk of blood clots again!! We are really concerned about the outcome of all this!! If anybody can give us any encouragement, we could sure use it!!

Sorry this is sooooo long!! I am frustrated!!

Old 05-08-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Hi Nel:

I go back to the doctor on 5-19-08. I am doing alot better. I am walking much better however I still cannot wear regular shoes yet. Wearing tennis shoes with a lot of support. I am 5 months now. I suffer panic attacks sometimes. I do not know why. My ortho has not given me any PT yet.
I hope I get my screws out and plate. I do not know about the rod though.
Do people who suffer this injury go on disability? I want to be well.
I have a very supporting boyfriend who does everything for me. It is hard
sometimes. I do work and I have a desk job. I will let you know what happens at the doctor's office. Thanks for answering me back.
Do we really fully recover and go on with our lifes? Is there such a thing?
Sandy

Hello Nel:

Getting ready for work. I am also taking Xanax because I get panic attacks and on Tuesday I am going to a psychiatrist. Try not to take too much of this stuff as it is very addicting. I had a communited tibia and fibula fracture. I guess it could have been worse. I can walk. What bothers me the most is the screws like I said and plate. I have too much time to think about this. I try to focus on other things. I hope I have good news on 5-19. I guess having screws is really not that bad. At least it is holding up my ankle. It was such a careless accident. I am not limping.
I walk pretty good. Much continued thoughts to you. Keep praying to the almightly lord. Could be worse. Take Care Sandy Write soon.......

Old 05-09-2008, 08:08 PM

1 posts, read 5,507 times
Hi all. I have been reading through this thread until almost cross-eyed! I am so sorry to hear so many people have had similar injuries to mine.

One question I did see that I can answer; Yes, in my case anyhow, the break was MUCH more painful than natural childbirth. I had two unmedicated births, and you know, it does hurt, but once the baby is born the intense pain is over. Not so with a broken tib/fib.

I broke 6 bones (three in my left foot and tib/fib/talus), dislocated my ankle and sprained my left knee & right ankle in 2001. In 2006 I had the two pins removed from the medial malleous (the OS had removed part of it due to the way i broke it and tried to pin the rest back together) due to them creating some nerve damage, but the plate and 8 screws remain. The OS said they would stay in forever, but from what I have read here and other places online, this is not the norm. Input/feedback? Is it unusual for the hardware to stay in for so long? I am still in mild to moderate pain almost 7 years later and still limp when I am tired or the weather is bad. I am wondering if removing the plate will improve this... or if it will be the same?

I am horrified to discover I now have a fear of heights... even climbing up on a step stool freaks me out.

I hope you all heal well and are up and on your feet! TIA for answering my Q's.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:03 AM

1 posts, read 5,464 times
Default Newbe- 1 month and 3 weeks after injury! Please read!

Ahhh.. Questions ! That is all I seem to ask my surgeon with little enthusiam or reply on there part. So I did what any good american would do
I looked to the internet...with that being said I just wanted to give a BIG THANKS to EVERYONE that posted and to the person who started this whole thing . I have Read all 32 pages of posts ..and it all has been instrumental in keeping my spirits high (or at least normal) and most of my questions answered . I did have a few though that i did not see probably due to the lack of severity compared to all you guys whose injuries seemed to be more severe.

My short story is : Playing soccer 6 weeks 4days ago I jumped , landed wrong on my right foot-twist, snap, pop- severed my whatever it's called (tendon maybe)that keeps your rgt.foot (in my case) from "free play"
and slamming into the end of your fibula snapping it off about 1/4 inch offset.
leaving you with a baseball swelling on the left side of your rgt. foot (severing) and the obvious "turning out " of your foot so it is no longer aligned properly to your tibia. Deformity basically! Scared the @#$ out of me, the morphine was great though. I had to wait one and half week for swelling to go down for operation. tendon or whatever it's called REpair and Plate and screws in fibula. I was recently dubbed by my surgeon as a "great case" prob. not needing any therapy! Here is the Questions; 1. No Therapy?
Is that possible being that I want to play soccer ASAP 2. I am just really confused about the whole "let pain and swelling be your guide" I am self-employed and have 2 kids- No work since the injury- I need desperately to go back to full hours at work (8-6) mon-fri....but just being moblile around house or outside running errands 1/2 days there is pain and swelling so I go home, Once the aircast is off and foot up i notice how bad the swelling is and I am exhausted. Should I push through anyways to complete the day, What do you guys think Am I too mobile, too aggressive for my injury?.....I rented a knee walker and get around alot, I drive, i go out.....etc...

Old 05-12-2008, 09:04 AM

Default italiannv

Quote:
Hello Nel:

Getting ready for work. I am also taking Xanax because I get panic attacks and on Tuesday I am going to a psychiatrist. Try not to take too much of this stuff as it is very addicting. I had a communited tibia and fibula fracture. I guess it could have been worse. I can walk. What bothers me the most is the screws like I said and plate. I have too much time to think about this. I try to focus on other things. I hope I have good news on 5-19. I guess having screws is really not that bad. At least it is holding up my ankle. It was such a careless accident. I am not limping.
I walk pretty good. Much continued thoughts to you. Keep praying to the almightly lord. Could be worse. Take Care Sandy Write soon.......

Oh my goodness, when did you start experiencing the panic attacks?
Make sure you keep taking your medication for that. I feel bad for you! You are going through alot, its not easy.
When I broke my leg everything changed, I have finally accepted my my broken fib. Thank goodness it doesn't hurt, but the hardware hurts every once in awhile. I have spoke to few people around here who have had hardware put in, same thing they hurt as will.
It sounds like yours is worse then mine, I mean around your ankle.
Just remember the hardware will be removed someday, I personally think its too soon to take them out.. I could be wrong though..
You are not alone girl, we are here for you!
Thank goodness I have you guys to lean on...

Nel

Old 05-12-2008, 09:19 AM

Default Broke FibulaplayingScoccer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke FibulaPlayingSoccer View Post
Ahhh.. Questions ! That is all I seem to ask my surgeon with little enthusiam or reply on there part. So I did what any good american would do
I looked to the internet...with that being said I just wanted to give a BIG THANKS to EVERYONE that posted and to the person who started this whole thing . I have Read all 32 pages of posts ..and it all has been instrumental in keeping my spirits high (or at least normal) and most of my questions answered . I did have a few though that i did not see probably due to the lack of severity compared to all you guys whose injuries seemed to be more severe.

My short story is : Playing soccer 6 weeks 4days ago I jumped , landed wrong on my right foot-twist, snap, pop- severed my whatever it's called (tendon maybe)that keeps your rgt.foot (in my case) from "free play"
and slamming into the end of your fibula snapping it off about 1/4 inch offset.
leaving you with a baseball swelling on the left side of your rgt. foot (severing) and the obvious "turning out " of your foot so it is no longer aligned properly to your tibia. Deformity basically! Scared the @#$ out of me, the morphine was great though. I had to wait one and half week for swelling to go down for operation. tendon or whatever it's called REpair and Plate and screws in fibula. I was recently dubbed by my surgeon as a "great case" prob. not needing any therapy! Here is the Questions; 1. No Therapy?
Is that possible being that I want to play soccer ASAP 2. I am just really confused about the whole "let pain and swelling be your guide" I am self-employed and have 2 kids- No work since the injury- I need desperately to go back to full hours at work (8-6) mon-fri....but just being moblile around house or outside running errands 1/2 days there is pain and swelling so I go home, Once the aircast is off and foot up i notice how bad the swelling is and I am exhausted. Should I push through anyways to complete the day, What do you guys think Am I too mobile, too aggressive for my injury?.....I rented a knee walker and get around alot, I drive, i go out.....etc...

Hi there welcome to this site, you are not alone.
My accident was Jan.2007 last year, I was skating with my daughter, never again.
My fib still not fuse together, I have gone through soo much in the last year, it has changed everything, I am also self employed, I started working at two month after my surgery, it was very hard...
I wonder sometimes doing too much too soon and not resting enough in my early stage of recovery last year affected my healing. I don't know. Being a mom I just couldn't sit still, I know what you are going through, its not easy.
keep posting your thoughts, let it all out, it really helps with your sanity.

Nel

Old 05-12-2008, 09:45 AM

Default Andrea77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea77 View Post
My husband crushed his tibia and fractured fibula in 2 places of left leg on Aug. 29th, 2007. He had fixation surgery the next morning, was in the hospital 4 days. Since that we have been trying to heal up the wounds where the bones were poking nearly thru the skin. He had a lot of damage to the flesh, etc. We got one wound healed quite quickly (about 6 weeks). The larger wound is almost closed now...after we used Duoderm, Hydroferra, and a wound VAC, and finally packing with ribbon gauze and antibiotic ointment. In November, the week b/4 Thanksgiving he went back in the hospital because his left foot was all broken out in blisters and draining, even from between his toes. He was allergic to all the tapes and dressings we were using. He got out on Thanksgiving day! Then on January 27th, 2008 (on a Sunday night, no less, when we had a -40F wind chill) he started telling me he was having some pain in his chest on right side, especially when he would inhale. Being I am a nurse I was concerned to say the least!! His heart rate had been more rapid for a few days, but he did not seem to realize it; I just noticed it when doing vital checks on him in AM's. We are 25 miles from the closest hospital, and 50 miles from the one we usually go to and where our primary care doctor is located. Since he is 75 and I am 73 I did not think it was wise to get out in that cold, windy night, so we went to bed and that night I did not sleep much. The next AM we got over to our Primary care Doc as soon as possible. My suspicions were right... he had atril fib and plueral effusion, and several small blood clots in his right lung...after 5 months past accident!! Another week in the hospital, and then home with me giving him shots in his belly 2 x's a day, and eventually on oral anticoagulant, and also medication for his heart!! This man rarely ever took a pill in his life b/4 this accident happened; he was so healthy!!

He has a rod thru the tibia with 2 screws at the top and 2 at the bottom. He has a plate with screws on the fibula for the 2 breaks there. ALL THIS TIME THERE IS NO HEALING GOING ON IN THE BONES!! Now, this last week we found out he has osteomyelitis (infection) in the bones. The Ortho wants to go in and take out all the hardware and keep him in the hospital on IV antibiotics untill all the infection is cleared up and then they will put all the hardware back in again! (Their estimate is that he could be in the hospital for 4-6 weeks on IV antibiotics). Only now, he has some REAL risk factors to consider!! He has this heart condition of atrial fibrillation we have to be concerned about, and the risk of blood clots again!! We are really concerned about the outcome of all this!! If anybody can give us any encouragement, we could sure use it!!

Sorry this is sooooo long!! I am frustrated!!

Don't be sorry, I know its frustrating.
So sorry you both have gone through so much, thank goodness you have each other.
It took my tib 6 month to heal, my fib it still not fuse together and its been over a year.
Everyones healing time is different, hopefully when the hardware is removed the healing will start, I wonder if its caused by the hardware, have you ever thought of that?
You are NOT alone, keep posting your thoughts.
chip up, day at a time..

Old 05-12-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nel-compound fracture View Post
Oh my goodness, when did you start experiencing the panic attacks?
Make sure you keep taking your medication for that. I feel bad for you! You are going through alot, its not easy.
When I broke my leg everything changed, I have finally accepted my my broken fib. Thank goodness it doesn't hurt, but the hardware hurts every once in awhile. I have spoke to few people around here who have had hardware put in, same thing they hurt as will.
It sounds like yours is worse then mine, I mean around your ankle.
Just remember the hardware will be removed someday, I personally think its too soon to take them out.. I could be wrong though..
You are not alone girl, we are here for you!
Thank goodness I have you guys to lean on...

Nel

Thanks for writing back. Yes, I get anxiety attacks. It is terrible. I have somehow tried to control myself. I see the psychiatrist tomorrow. I do have some underlying problems. I hope I get the screws out. How long are your screws in? How much hardware do you have in your fibula? My hardware is in my fibula. My tibia has a plate and about one screw.

I can walk pretty good. I drive and walk pretty good. I want the hardware out ASAP but it has been 5 months. Do you have many scars? I have three scars. Sandy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.