Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2008, 01:33 PM

117 posts, read 699,605 times

Advertisements

Hi there Cannon, its been awhile.
How is your recovery going?
Hope to hear good news from you!

Old 04-20-2008, 11:53 AM

6 posts, read 31,219 times
Default hi

hi nel,
thanks for the encouragement. its so nice to hear from people on the same boat and understands what we all are going through. by the way I havent got a walking boot since post surgery. Im actaully walking with my stick in the house and i have a bit of a limp. just want to know when that limp normanlly goes and is that normal? The physio gave me some difficult exercises and im struggling sometimes especially the stiffness. It really needs a lot of patience. I also want to get ideas from you if anybody can share their thought of getting that quad muscles strenght back again and the leg strenght itself because whenever I walk it seems like my knee and the leg strenght is weak ans thats why cant walk very far you get tired quickly.

thank you for your advise

sgreaves

Old 04-20-2008, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 4,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Hi!

Has anybody here ever had this type of a fracture to the leg? - Fractured Tibia and Fibula (Broken Lower Leg Bones) with Fixation Surgery.

I broke my leg back on July 3rd, had the surgery on July 13th, and was wondering if anybody else had this and how long did it take to fully recover? I'm still in pain one month after the break.

Thank you
I broke my tibia into 14 pieces and the fibula into 2. The injury occurred on 9/13/2007...It is 4/20/08. I am hobbling along with a cane at this point. It is very painful at the end of the day...but I can get long during the day with persistence. They placed 2 plates and 13 screws. The swelling is tremendous at the end of the day, but in the morning it is almost normal. I go back to the surgeon on Tues the 22nd to find out the next step. Did not need any rehad, have been able to move along on my own.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:31 PM

Default sgreaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgreaves View Post
hi nel,
thanks for the encouragement. its so nice to hear from people on the same boat and understands what we all are going through. by the way I havent got a walking boot since post surgery. Im actaully walking with my stick in the house and i have a bit of a limp. just want to know when that limp normanlly goes and is that normal? The physio gave me some difficult exercises and im struggling sometimes especially the stiffness. It really needs a lot of patience. I also want to get ideas from you if anybody can share their thought of getting that quad muscles strenght back again and the leg strenght itself because whenever I walk it seems like my knee and the leg strenght is weak ans thats why cant walk very far you get tired quickly.

thank you for your advise

sgreaves

Wow no walking boot!
The limp will eventually go away, can't tell you exactly when..
Try and focus on walking normal, keep telling yourself to walk normal..
The quad muscle will come when your start exercising your leg, the stiffness will also go away once you start getting more mobile..
Remember you are on your way to recover, some of us take longer then others.. Listen to your PT, you can do it, you are doing it...

Old 04-20-2008, 05:40 PM

Default pegcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcap View Post
I broke my tibia into 14 pieces and the fibula into 2. The injury occurred on 9/13/2007...It is 4/20/08. I am hobbling along with a cane at this point. It is very painful at the end of the day...but I can get long during the day with persistence. They placed 2 plates and 13 screws. The swelling is tremendous at the end of the day, but in the morning it is almost normal. I go back to the surgeon on Tues the 22nd to find out the next step. Did not need any rehad, have been able to move along on my own.

Hi there, it sounds like you did a number on your poor leg.
Wow good for you, keep walking on that leg it'll get better as weeks
go by.
With the swelling, easy for me to say but don't over do it. You have to
try and rest it during the day. That is amazing no rehab, as long as you
exersice that leg the muscles will get stronger.
How did your x-rays look last time?
Are the bones healing?
Good luck.

Nel

Old 04-20-2008, 06:48 PM

34 posts, read 328,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nel-compound fracture View Post
Hi there Cannon, its been awhile.
How is your recovery going?
Hope to hear good news from you!
Hi Nel, I'm getting along pretty good. I still have drainage at the doner site on my hip. I'm going to my family doc tomorrow to see what he thinks. My leg doesn't bother me much. Good to here from you. Take care.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:05 PM

17 posts, read 88,613 times
How long is it before I do not have any swelling on my tibia and fibula ankle. I have been walking and this happened 1/15/08? Any responses would be extremely helpful.
How long before I can wear regular shoes? Sandy Las Vegas

Old 04-21-2008, 05:49 PM

Default italiannv

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiannv View Post
How long is it before I do not have any swelling on my tibia and fibula ankle. I have been walking and this happened 1/15/08? Any responses would be extremely helpful.
How long before I can wear regular shoes? Sandy Las Vegas

Hi there, the swelling could take 6 month to a year maybe abit longer, everyone is different, I still had swelling up to 9 month.
I had my walking boot right up to 6 month, when I started my PT that when I started wearing regular shoes, it was abit scarey for me though..
How long have you been walking?

Old 04-21-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNON 81 View Post
Hi Nel, I'm getting along pretty good. I still have drainage at the doner site on my hip. I'm going to my family doc tomorrow to see what he thinks. My leg doesn't bother me much. Good to here from you. Take care.

Hi there Cannon that doesn't sound normal to me!
Does it hurt at all?
Are you getting around alot better now?
good luck with your docs appointment.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:10 PM

Default Hello everyone its Nel

Will its been 15 month since my accident.
When I saw my x-ray in Jan. my tib looked really good, saw alot of new bone growth, still a gap on my fib, still not fused together.
I live a normal healthy life, after a long hard day my leg in the shin area still swells. A bit of discomfort where the hardware is..
When I do my leg exercise it hurts abit at times.

My cliental has reallly picked up I will try and stay in touch..
Good luck to everyone, happy healings. happy thoughts.
Thank you for your support..

Nel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.