Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2008, 07:59 AM

117 posts, read 699,503 times

Advertisements

How are you making out?
First few weeks are the worst, your swelling should start improving hopefully within two weeks, hopfully sooner,
keep in touch.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:34 AM

34 posts, read 328,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nel-compound fracture View Post
I am feeling better this morning, having you guys to support me is awsome!!!
So where the graft didn't take, is there a big gap on your leg?
Hi Nel- I looked at my Xrays and I couldn't see much gaps. All I can tell is that the hardware has moved down some. I hope he gets it right this time. take care.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:54 PM

1 posts, read 6,248 times
Default Do I correctly understand rod vs plate for tibia repair ?

I slipped on ice on 2/8/07 and broke my tibia. Maybe 6 pieces. The Doc told me that he wanted to do a rod, but that the break was too close to the ankle. So he did a plate. It's my sense that a rod can be removed, but not a plate. Is that the difference ?

In any event, I'm doing well 2 months later. Toe weight is permitted. 5 more weeks in the boot. Still a little edema. But feel great on the crutches, etc.

Am I correct that if the Doc could have done a rod, the rod could have eventually been removed ? And am I correct that with the plate, I am likely to develop arthritis in the ankle ? And am I correct that that is the major difference between the two (rod vs plate), assuming equal risk of infection ?

Old 04-01-2008, 10:36 AM

Default Kapkap

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapkap View Post
I slipped on ice on 2/8/07 and broke my tibia. Maybe 6 pieces. The Doc told me that he wanted to do a rod, but that the break was too close to the ankle. So he did a plate. It's my sense that a rod can be removed, but not a plate. Is that the difference ?

In any event, I'm doing well 2 months later. Toe weight is permitted. 5 more weeks in the boot. Still a little edema. But feel great on the crutches, etc.

Am I correct that if the Doc could have done a rod, the rod could have eventually been removed ? And am I correct that with the plate, I am likely to develop arthritis in the ankle ? And am I correct that that is the major difference between the two (rod vs plate), assuming equal risk of infection ?

Welcome! We are here for you, you are not alone.
I have plate/screws on my leg, my doc told me he can remove them
within two years after my surgery, thats if it really bothers me!
From reading and hearing from people who've had injuries, arthritis will eventually set in, maybe some people get lucky!!!
I have no idea if there is a major differnce between rod and plate/screws.. Im sure the os did what was best for your leg.

keep in touch.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:40 AM

Default Cannon81

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNON 81 View Post
Hi Nel- I looked at my Xrays and I couldn't see much gaps. All I can tell is that the hardware has moved down some. I hope he gets it right this time. take care.

Cannon do you think your pain is caused my the plate/screws not being secure?? I sure hope not.. Make sure you keep us posted after your surgery.... I'll be praying for you!! Hope this is it!! No more surgeries after this one... Good luck..

Old 04-01-2008, 11:39 AM

34 posts, read 328,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nel-compound fracture View Post
Cannon do you think your pain is caused my the plate/screws not being secure?? I sure hope not.. Make sure you keep us posted after your surgery.... I'll be praying for you!! Hope this is it!! No more surgeries after this one... Good luck..
Nel, I do think some of my ankle pain is from the screws. That's just my thinking, I'm really not sure what is causing it. I will let you know how my surgery goes. Thanks for the concern.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 6,218 times
Unhappy Me too

I also had a dumb accident 2 years ago on July 4th and broke my tibia and Fibula. I had a rod put in and screws..... It took me forever to get off cruches and out of my boot. I still walk with a limp some days. Now, I am having a lot of pain just walking, and have talked to a differernt surgen who is going to take the rod and screws out.... I am hoping this will make it so I can walk again with out pain.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:16 PM

Default Lady-Lilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady-Lilly View Post
I also had a dumb accident 2 years ago on July 4th and broke my tibia and Fibula. I had a rod put in and screws..... It took me forever to get off cruches and out of my boot. I still walk with a limp some days. Now, I am having a lot of pain just walking, and have talked to a differernt surgen who is going to take the rod and screws out.... I am hoping this will make it so I can walk again with out pain.

Welcome Lady-Lilly!
Wow how long were you on crutches? The pain you are experiencing, is it where your plate and screws are? Thats where my pain comes from. My doc told me he can remove them in two years..
Sad, my fib still hasn't healed though, just found out on Friday..

When you saw a different doc, is he the one who told you that you should remove them?? Or was it your idea?
I have done alot of reading and so far people who have had there plate and screws removed have said it was 50% better than it was before.

Nel

Old 04-02-2008, 07:13 AM

Default Yar

Hi there Yar, very good to hear about your recovery!
Everyday will get even better. Does your job require sitting or standing? Best of luck..

Nel

Old 04-02-2008, 07:17 AM

Default Cannon81

Hi there Cannon,
I am getting excited and nervous for you! yeap I have been counting down the days, wish you all the best Cannon..
Can you walk at all or do you still use crutches?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness