Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2008, 06:43 PM

117 posts, read 699,710 times

Advertisements

[quote=chris_uk;3150563]yeah i have read most of the stories on that site. Some poeple recover in 8-12 weeks and some 8-12 months. i'm just waiting to find out which one i will be ;-) my bed wedge arrived today for my leg while sleeping, that will mean i won't have to worry about balancing my leg on all those pillows. The night I find the worst right now? I'm still hoping that within 12 weeks i'm back to normal and walking on the treadmill?

Nel,
what you said about hot and humid ............... i'm in houston,texas. I hope i don't get the same. I'll be on that plane back to london before I'm off crutches ;-) with regards to the fibula being removed .............. i intend to leave this world with all the parts i had when i arrived ;-) how long since you broke yours?[/quote]

I broke my leg back in Jan.28th 2007, I was skating with my daughter, we were having so much fun, its terrible I had this gut feeling something wasn't right. Blade on my skate got inbeded in the ice in our neighborhood rink (park) some parts of the ice was melting.
Funny, after I saw the x-ray I started limping, and the pain came back soo fast! I think it was all in my head... hehehe

nel

Old 03-15-2008, 08:05 PM

4 posts, read 21,996 times
Default fixation surgery

hi everyone,
i have been reading everyone's stories since i broke my fib tib and ankle on jan 26, (just 3 days before we were leaving for a month down south) had a rod and 3 screws inserted the same day (10pm). i was out walking my dog and thought i would take a short cut. welllll, i slipped on a muddy slope and snap, snap. i have been extremely fortunate since i am retired and my husband has been able to look after me. i have been getting around with a walker and wheelchair. os says i can put weight on my leg on tuesday (7 wks and 3 days after fall).

i was wondering if anyone has any advice on how far i should try to walk the first few days. i don't expect to do a marathon but some walking would be nice. also when did everyone start driving a car (i broke my right leg). i need my independence back, soon.

thanks

Old 03-16-2008, 12:02 AM

6 posts, read 31,899 times
i was wondering if anyone has any advice on how far i should try to walk the first few days. i don't expect to do a marathon but some walking would be nice. also when did everyone start driving a car (i broke my right leg). i need my independence back, soon.

thanks[/quot

I found that you can drive with your left foot, the first couple times you may come close to eating the steering wheel cause your not use to the pressure difference, but now for me 2 months in the right foot doesnt feel normal. I am at 2 months and not aloud to walk at all yet well with only 25% weight so I wouldnt walk yet just crutch it around like everyone else and be patient. patience is a big big big necessity when it comes to this kinda break. It took my a little to figure that out. Ive heard from 2 different OS Dr's now that they are the most unlikely to reunite as one again. I also saw on the discovery channel though that every 7 years your bone is completely replaced with new bone kinda like skin does I guess, good news I thought haha.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:18 AM

4 posts, read 21,996 times
hi JKtank
thanks for the response and the info. i was doing quite well patience wise up until the last week and now i just want to get up and go. will try to be more patient for a while yet.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:00 PM

9 posts, read 60,600 times
i found that once the swelling started to go down i was ok in a car using my left leg. If you have a suv or something like that then you can get far enough back so your right foot does not get in the way.
i was driving after 3 weeks (only short distances), nd it seems to be ok?

Has anyone used one of those bone stimulators?

Old 03-16-2008, 01:05 PM

Default dog walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog walker View Post
hi JKtank
thanks for the response and the info. i was doing quite well patience wise up until the last week and now i just want to get up and go. will try to be more patient for a while yet.

Hi there dog walker, welcome!
Patience, patience and more patience, you are not alone.. Thats something I had to get use to when I got hurt, somedays were worst than others, oh my thank goodness for husbands....
You'll know when to stop walking, like everyone says don't over do it..

Nel

Old 03-18-2008, 06:22 AM

4 posts, read 21,805 times
ok so i broke my tib fib while playing basket-ball and i was llucky enough that it was a clean break and that i wouldnt need surgry but unfortunatley i devloped some plantar fasiciatis ( i cant spell it) and its extreamly painful i was wondrein is thier anything that can be done to minimize the pain while i still have the cast on and how long do you think it would take on avrage to start playing sports like basketball competitivley agian

Old 03-18-2008, 06:52 AM

1 posts, read 5,437 times
Hi,

I'm new to this forum...

I found this thread after many searches for people with similar experience to me... well somewhat similar.. I didn't require the blasted surgery thankfully. But I do have three fractures across multiple bones in the ankle. The Doc deemed the ankle stable enough so as to only warrant a fibre glass cast for 6 weeks. 2 of which are down thus far.

I was due to go skiing in France this week so I'm absolutely gutted. My friends still wanted me to travel, but I love skiing so much and not been able to would mean I would only have been a misery for them, dragging everyone down. So here I am feeling sorry for myself...

Funny thing was, I thought it was a sprain and went in so as to get a prescription for a decent anti-inflammatory... (the A&E as it was a Saturday and my GP was out). I was flummoxed when the doc at the A&E told me of the fractures. I truly wasn't expecting it. I had sprained my ankle playing football (soccer) before without much damage. Didn't think a whole lot of the situation. Suppose my lives ran out...

One thing this short two weeks has taught me is how much I take the gift of good health for granted. Not being able to do the simple things in life that I took so much for granted has really woken me up to a life that for some is a permanent reality.

Reading some of the stories on here reminds me how fortunate I was that my injuries were not so much more extensive.

I can't wait to get back walking/golfing/kayaking etc and when I do I hope I don't forget the way I feel right now.

I go back in on Thursday morn for an update. I hope it's good news.

--Dave

Old 03-18-2008, 07:12 PM

Default Yung_jock

Quote:
Originally Posted by yung_jock View Post
ok so i broke my tib fib while playing basket-ball and i was llucky enough that it was a clean break and that i wouldnt need surgry but unfortunatley i devloped some plantar fasiciatis ( i cant spell it) and its extreamly painful i was wondrein is thier anything that can be done to minimize the pain while i still have the cast on and how long do you think it would take on avrage to start playing sports like basketball competitivley agian

Hey yung_jock,
I just read your story, very sorry to hear, its sounds painful!
I just checked it out under Plantar Fasciitis on the website..

Nel

Old 03-18-2008, 07:39 PM

Default Dave

[quote=lawred2;3174219]Hi,

I'm new to this forum...

I found this thread after many searches for people with similar experience to me... well somewhat similar.. I didn't require the blasted surgery thankfully. But I do have three fractures across multiple bones in the ankle. The Doc deemed the ankle stable enough so as to only warrant a fibre glass cast for 6 weeks. 2 of which are down thus far.

I was due to go skiing in France this week so I'm absolutely gutted. My friends still wanted me to travel, but I love skiing so much and not been able to would mean I would only have been a misery for them, dragging everyone down. So here I am feeling sorry for myself...

Funny thing was, I thought it was a sprain and went in so as to get a prescription for a decent anti-inflammatory... (the A&E as it was a Saturday and my GP was out). I was flummoxed when the doc at the A&E told me of the fractures. I truly wasn't expecting it. I had sprained my ankle playing football (soccer) before without much damage. Didn't think a whole lot of the situation. Suppose my lives ran out...

One thing this short two weeks has taught me is how much I take the gift of good health for granted. Not being able to do the simple things in life that I took so much for granted has really woken me up to a life that for some is a permanent reality.

Reading some of the stories on here reminds me how fortunate I was that my injuries were not so much more extensive.

I can't wait to get back walking/golfing/kayaking etc and when I do I hope I don't forget the way I feel right now.

I go back in on Thursday morn for an update. I hope it's good news.

--Dave[/quote]

Hi there Dave, welcome! You are not alone..
I know it sucks! Poor me days will soon be over..
Like you said, good thing you decided to stay home,
I think you would've felt miserable.. Not being able to
do the simple things is right.. I know what the feels like, yuk!!

take care
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.