Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2008, 07:09 AM

117 posts, read 699,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_legs View Post
They put 15 screws into both my fiba and tiba and i have two plates in my leg!, it still rubs a lil wen i walk and exercise and i am looking to have them removed sometime in the future

Thank you!
Please keep us posted, let us know how the leg is from time to time.

Nel

Old 04-09-2008, 07:10 AM

Default Cannon81

Cannon how are you?
Happy healing, hope the surgery was successful!

Old 04-09-2008, 10:59 AM

34 posts, read 328,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nel-compound fracture View Post
Cannon how are you?
Happy healing, hope the surgery was successful!
Hi Nel- The surgery went well. I'm wearing a cast now for the first time. Most of my pain is in the hip where he took the doner bone. But every day the pain is less and less. Thank you Nel for all of your support. Take care.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:25 PM

Default Cannon81

Wow good to hear from you!
Thank goodness the anxiety is over.
You mean this is your first cast ever?
If so, when you set your leg down, it'll swell and it'll feel like
your leg will explode under neath that cast. When the itchyness
comes be careful when you scratch it, i can't really explain the
pain, but anyways you still can scratch it with maybe a coat hanger.
Once after my surgery I had to get my cast changed, it felt way
to tight..
Does your foot go really red when you set your leg down? That is
normal, ouch!! Well at least mine did.
Good to hear from you Cannon, keep us posted..

Old 04-11-2008, 12:21 PM

4 posts, read 22,003 times
hi brooke
i started walking on mar 18, 7 1/2 wks after break. it has now been 3 1/2 wks and i still have swelling around my ankle if i stand for too long. i still limp a bit first thing in the morning or if i have been sitting for a while but i can walk without a cane, but i still carry it just in case. i have only been walking around in the big box stores since i live in a very hilly area. i am going to wait until after my next dr. appt before i try driving. i think i can feel the screw in my ankle and if it continues to bother me, i will ask about having it removed. good luck, dog walker

Old 04-12-2008, 11:59 AM

2 posts, read 6,961 times
Hi there, 3 weeks ago I slipped on ice and broke the tibia and fibula in my right foot , crawled out of the woods on my hands and knees for two hours, then laid in the hospital for 3 days waiting for surgery, the operated and installed (?) 10 screws and a plate, I'm bored and lonely too but I have not been back to work because when I sit with my foot down, it swells and hurts like heck. but the reason I am writing ..... I have delivered 4 babies.....3 of them without pain relief and I gotta tell ya.....breaking my ankle was way way way more painful than delivering babies. If you can get yourself through the pain of this, you should sail through childbirth!!

Old 04-12-2008, 03:25 PM

Default maryfowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryfowler View Post
Hi there, 3 weeks ago I slipped on ice and broke the tibia and fibula in my right foot , crawled out of the woods on my hands and knees for two hours, then laid in the hospital for 3 days waiting for surgery, the operated and installed (?) 10 screws and a plate, I'm bored and lonely too but I have not been back to work because when I sit with my foot down, it swells and hurts like heck. but the reason I am writing ..... I have delivered 4 babies.....3 of them without pain relief and I gotta tell ya.....breaking my ankle was way way way more painful than delivering babies. If you can get yourself through the pain of this, you should sail through childbirth!!

Welcome, sorry to hear about your accident..
Not a good way to meet, I've been there Mary, 15 month ago..
Two hours in the woods crawling, its amazing how much will power and strength we have when life throws us unexpected things that seem impossible to deal with at the time..
You will get through it, make sure you accept all the help that is afford to you!! It won't be easy but it'll get easier as each day goes by.. With the swelling, ouch that is normal..
just be prepared you'll get frustrated and feel helpless, find and office chair with wheels it'll make life easier for now...
take care.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:23 PM

3 posts, read 15,106 times
Hi everyone, I agree with you maryfowler it is just unbelievable how painful that first few weeks are, I really had pain for about 7-8 weeks where I needed regular strong analgesic. Everyone is different but I certainly think, not just my experience as a nurse, but having gone through it, to take meds as needed otherwise your nerves get really fragile and emotionally it is harder to cope.
Hang in there, it is a long road but any improvement is positive and try to think of it that way. Had my plaster off last week after 10 weeks, now have a walking boot and trying to get my ankle moving but most difficulty with the bearing weight to that leg. The ortho said don't worry about the pain just do it, have not seen any improvement there yet, just so painful to take weight. Does anyone have any thoughts on weight bearing and what is considered normal.
Hi Nel, hope you are ok, what is the plan for you from here, thinking of you.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matildaz View Post
Hi everyone, I agree with you maryfowler it is just unbelievable how painful that first few weeks are, I really had pain for about 7-8 weeks where I needed regular strong analgesic. Everyone is different but I certainly think, not just my experience as a nurse, but having gone through it, to take meds as needed otherwise your nerves get really fragile and emotionally it is harder to cope.
Hang in there, it is a long road but any improvement is positive and try to think of it that way. Had my plaster off last week after 10 weeks, now have a walking boot and trying to get my ankle moving but most difficulty with the bearing weight to that leg. The ortho said don't worry about the pain just do it, have not seen any improvement there yet, just so painful to take weight. Does anyone have any thoughts on weight bearing and what is considered normal.
Hi Nel, hope you are ok, what is the plan for you from here, thinking of you.

My emotions almost got the best of me!
Had my x-ray not too long ago, this time the bones looked closer together, even the x-ray technician noticed it, started using the tensor bandage where the brake is, Im hoping that'll help fuse the bone together.. Do you think thats a good idea??
As for weight bearing, listen to your OS, it helps with the bones fusing together and faster. The pain will become more tolerable as weeks go by, I know it is very painful, have no other choice, you can do it!!!

keep in touch

Old 04-12-2008, 10:08 PM

3 posts, read 15,106 times
Hi. The tensor bandage is a good idea, it generally works by helping reduce the swelling which then expediates the healing. You are certainly heading in the right direction and if the tech noticed the improvement on xray that it a great sign as they don,t like to say too much if you know what I mean. Your right no choice, everyday just seems like one long painful physio session. !! No more whinging today. Take care
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness