Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2008, 10:15 AM

117 posts, read 699,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matildaz View Post
Hi. The tensor bandage is a good idea, it generally works by helping reduce the swelling which then expediates the healing. You are certainly heading in the right direction and if the tech noticed the improvement on xray that it a great sign as they don,t like to say too much if you know what I mean. Your right no choice, everyday just seems like one long painful physio session. !! No more whinging today. Take care

With the bandage, abit of discomfort where the brake is but if it'll help with the bone healing I'll keep wearing it..
With your x-ray did you see any bone healing?
Oh I can relate to the pain you are going through with the weight bearing, ouch!!
Nothing better than taking the boot off when ever you feel like it, I found it hard at first in the shower putting all my weight on my good leg.
When you take your boot off make sure you are rotating that anckle, also on a flat surface, as if your walking, always remember heel to toe exercise, lift that heel up.. I know its not easy, the pain will want to make you stop, just remember its part of healing. Soon it'll just be a memory...
How are your kids coping? Its not easy for them to see mommy in pain.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:18 PM

17 posts, read 88,624 times
Angry Tibia And Fibula Fracture

4/14/08

On 1-15-08 I fell in my kitchen and broke my tibia and fibula in my lower leg which is part of the ankle. I have been finally walking some and my scars are horific. I had to have six screws in my ankle. I had a cast for two months and am walking some but not full weight bearing yet. I also sleep with a pillow and keep my ankle elevated. I wear shoes with alot of ankle support. It was terrible. I go to the doctor in four weeks and possibility of getting my screws out especially along my right ankle. It has been a very traumatic experience. Has anyone have any ideas to speed up the process?
Sandy, Las Vegas, Nevada

Old 04-14-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiannv View Post
4/14/08

On 1-15-08 I fell in my kitchen and broke my tibia and fibula in my lower leg which is part of the ankle. I have been finally walking some and my scars are horific. I had to have six screws in my ankle. I had a cast for two months and am walking some but not full weight bearing yet. I also sleep with a pillow and keep my ankle elevated. I wear shoes with alot of ankle support. It was terrible. I go to the doctor in four weeks and possibility of getting my screws out especially along my right ankle. It has been a very traumatic experience. Has anyone have any ideas to speed up the process?
Sandy, Las Vegas, Nevada

Sounds like you did a number on your anckle, sorry to hear, wow 6 screws, that's gotta hurt when you try and walk or even move it.. Can't believe just 2 month in a cast! Do you have a walking boot?
As long as your OS told you to start putting weight on it than it's okay, it'll hurt but its got to be done. Bone healing takes time, depending on your age, my tib took 6 month to heal, it sounds like your doing well being able to put alittle bit of weight on your anckle..
I have read about some people who have had there screws removed from there anckle and felt better, so in about 4 weeks when you see your OS, if the pain is still the same, no improvement than you'll know weither to remove them or not.... Good luck! chin up, positive healing thoughts...

Old 04-16-2008, 10:34 AM

6 posts, read 31,232 times
Default walking with a stick

Hi Nel,
Its been a while since my last thread. The last time I ask was about walking with one crutch as directed by my physio. Since then I have been doing that and it felt really good. I cant believed the joy it brought upon me and the confidence that I can do it. With regards to pain It was not too bad. It did get better as you get on with it. Last monday I went to physio and she took my other crutch and gave me a stick. I have been using the stick inside the house. Wow! what a relief but I get really tired after a while. I guess I just have to stick to it until I get better. Just wonder if this is ok? Its been 9 weeks post injury and I think its so soon to be doing this. But my pt told me its fine and partial weight bearing is over or only for 6 weeks then weight bearing as tolerated. my os appt next week so hopefully everyhting will be ok.

Thanks
sgreaves

Old 04-16-2008, 12:55 PM

Default sgreaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgreaves View Post
Hi Nel,
Its been a while since my last thread. The last time I ask was about walking with one crutch as directed by my physio. Since then I have been doing that and it felt really good. I cant believed the joy it brought upon me and the confidence that I can do it. With regards to pain It was not too bad. It did get better as you get on with it. Last monday I went to physio and she took my other crutch and gave me a stick. I have been using the stick inside the house. Wow! what a relief but I get really tired after a while. I guess I just have to stick to it until I get better. Just wonder if this is ok? Its been 9 weeks post injury and I think its so soon to be doing this. But my pt told me its fine and partial weight bearing is over or only for 6 weeks then weight bearing as tolerated. my os appt next week so hopefully everyhting will be ok.

Thanks
sgreaves

Nice to hear from you!!
I started wondering if everybody left... LOL
It sounds like your recovery is going will, thats nice to hear.
Now do you have a walking boot?? Can't remember if I asked you that already..
If the stick works with your balance stick with it!!
Wow PT at two month, you are on your way to recovery!
I know how tiring it can be with PWB, its not easy. Just remember its part of bone healing...
Sooner the better, it may sound to early for PWB but its not, if I had listen to my OS when he told me to start PWB I think I would've healed sooner, but I was very scared. I just couldn't take the pain..

Chin up, keep in touch...

Old 04-16-2008, 08:27 PM

17 posts, read 88,624 times
Default hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5gabpaul View Post
I have a broken tibia with 6 fractures and a broken fibula. I had open reduction internal fixation. I have a steel plate with 9 screws into the tibia bone. I fell down my stair case holding by 2 yr old daugher. She was fine. I am six wks post my surgery and have swelling in the ankle and tibia area. The tibia and fibula bones are very sore. I had my cast removed 4 wks post surgery and I am now in an aircast for an additional 4 wks. I was wondering if any one had a similar break and how they are now doing. I am hoping to walk without a limp and to eventually wear shoes again.
4/16/08

I recently broke my tibia and fibula also. I fell in my kitchen. I am 4 months post op surgery. I had a rod and six screws in my ankle. I have two scars on each side of my ankle and some discoloration around my ankle. My screws are bothering me on my right ankle as they stick out. The doctor says it is too soon to remove them and that means another operation. I am walking very slow but I am ambulating. I wear tennis shoes with alot of support. New balance. I go back to the doctor's in four weeks. I am also used a jacuzzi on my ankle. It helps alot.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:55 AM

9 posts, read 60,615 times
Hi Nel,
Well it's been 8 weesk now since my break. All pain has pretty much gone. The swelling is still really bad and still not weight bearing. I have an appointment next friday to find out when i can start re hab. hopefully they tell me i can put weight on it. These crutches have become part of my life now. It will be very strange when they go?

Old 04-19-2008, 01:23 PM

Default chris_uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_uk View Post
Hi Nel,
Well it's been 8 weesk now since my break. All pain has pretty much gone. The swelling is still really bad and still not weight bearing. I have an appointment next friday to find out when i can start re hab. hopefully they tell me i can put weight on it. These crutches have become part of my life now. It will be very strange when they go?

Hi there Chris nice to hear from you!
Sorry it took awhile for me to reply back, business has really picked for me....
With the swelling it'll stay with your for awhile, its crazy my leg still swells in my shin area where the hardware is, thank goodness it doesn't really bother me..
Don't be afraid when you start putting some weight on that leg, it'll hurt but its part of you bone healing... Hopefully soon the crutches will be history...
Are your bones healing at all??

Old 04-19-2008, 01:26 PM

Default matildaz

Just checking up on you!
How are you making out with the leg?

Old 04-19-2008, 01:30 PM

Default sgreaves

How are you making out with PWB?
You be full weight bearing soon, just in time for the summer,, Yes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness