Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2008, 04:16 PM

117 posts, read 699,846 times

Advertisements

Hey Brook, how is your leg?
Sounds like you'll be walking normally real soon!!
You are young and very positive, keep on sending us your
thoughts!

nel

Old 04-04-2008, 04:19 PM

Default gemy2312

How is your recovery going?
Haven't heard from you in awhile, is everything alright??
Happy thoughts..

Nel

Old 04-04-2008, 04:40 PM

713 posts, read 1,958,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Hi!

Has anybody here ever had this type of a fracture to the leg? - Fractured Tibia and Fibula (Broken Lower Leg Bones) with Fixation Surgery.

I broke my leg back on July 3rd, had the surgery on July 13th, and was wondering if anybody else had this and how long did it take to fully recover? I'm still in pain one month after the break.

Thank you
I was 12 years old and broke both bones. 1 rod, 4 screws

It took about 3 months to walk without crutches.

By age 14 I was playing sports on school teams (basketball, track, and volleyball).

By age 16 I was dunking a basketball.

I played boy's high school volleyball for 5 years in IL.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:47 PM

Default SouperStar34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperStar34 View Post
I was 12 years old and broke both bones. 1 rod, 4 screws

It took about 3 months to walk without crutches.

By age 14 I was playing sports on school teams (basketball, track, and volleyball).

By age 16 I was dunking a basketball.

I played boy's high school volleyball for 5 years in IL.

Have you ever had your hardware removed??

Old 04-04-2008, 06:49 PM

3 posts, read 15,106 times
Hi, this is my first post although have been reading for some time. Firstly, nel, you are a such a lovely person, the support you show to everyone is truly comendable, and I,m sure it makes all the difference.
My story from down under, is I broke my leg 10 weeks ago, falling down an embankment and sustaining a spiral fracture to tib and fib, I can so relate to those first excruciating few weeks when it all seems a little surreal. Being a single mum to 3 kids it has been more than somewhat challenging trying to do those everyday tasks, but somehow I have managed. Our health care system seems somewhat conservative to most of you as my doctor advised no hardware just will heal but take longer, gave me the option but said the outcome the same, I am now wondering if that was the right decision. We have free healthcare in Australia so basically everyone gets the same treatment including physio, hydro, medication costs which we have to be grateful for. My biggest issue has been the emotional turmoil surrounding the immobility and just not being able to do normal routine, its sort of hard relying on people, I certainly took my independence for granted, anyway seeing my ortho this week and hope he will agree, depending on Xray result, to a walking boot, so I can start to get my ankle moving, from what I hear very painful and can take some time!
Good luck to everyone out there, hang in there, thinking of you all

Old 04-04-2008, 11:51 PM

713 posts, read 1,958,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nel-compound fracture View Post

Have you ever had your hardware removed??
Yes, a 6 months later when I was 13.

I was on crutches for another month.

This happened about 10 years ago.

Old 04-05-2008, 05:28 AM

1 posts, read 4,513 times
Smile Even for a 44 year old male with broken Tibia and Fibula..there is hope!

Firstly, many thanks to all who have posted to this site, as a new browser (and poster) it really does help hearing about other people's experiences and lessons (even the not good ones) learnt.

My own story is that broke my right Tibia and Fibula, and left Fibula (my left leg fracture was only picked upon when I arrived back in the UK) whilst skiing abroad on 12-2-08.

Contrary to the popular image of being given pain relief on site and then airlifted to a local hospital, the local rescue team (which could in hindsight be a euphemism for 'gifted amateurs') had no pain relief, took 3 hours to ferry me to a local hospital and then a further 3 hours passed before any pain relief was administered.

When I was finally operated on, the hospital inserted a metal plate into both my left Tibia and Fibula. Given the damage to my knee and calf muscle, I also had 3 shunts inserted into my leg. I stayed in that hospital for 7 days before being flown home and spending another 7 days in hospital. Interestingly in the UK, I was put in an open 1/2 caste for 1 week until the stitches were removed before being put in a full length plaster caste for the next 6 weeks. I am now in a hinge bracket for the next 4 weeks.

What have I learnt so far?

That ultimately despite the kindness and skills of many professionals, including my GP, ultimately I feel as though you are on your own when it comes to rehabilitation, and therefore the support of my wife, family and friends has been crucial.

That it takes a whole lot longer that I ever thought it would. Only now am I weight bearing on my right leg and I suspect it will be a good few months until I am fully weight bearing on my left leg.

That medical know how is limited and divided about how best to proceed; some say we will remove the plates, others say we will leave them alone and only consider removing them if they cause a problem.

That such is the compartmentalisation of the NHS, that even if you have a designated consultant, the reality is you may only see them once and so there is a feeling of always having to go over the story again and again, leaving a large window for inconsistent treatment plans.

That despite the catastrophic impact on your life (I am self employed...therefore no work no money), and the great work being done by many dedicated professionals, broken bones don't appear to be much of a priority when it comes to the NHS. Despite the importance of physio for recovery my first proper physio appointment is not for another 2 1/2 weeks.

Apart from one junior doctor who in his enthusiasm for demonstrating his knowledge of orthopaedics told me that in 5-10 years I might now need a knee replacement due to the damage to my knee, most of the other medics have been very guarded in their prognosis. Maybe this is deliberate. Certainly if in the first few weeks when I suspect I was in some shock, I had been told about the length of time recovery would take, I may not have been able to cope with that..I don't know.

That for most of us sooner or later we recovery and in the process readjust to our new life. The only way I can deal with my accident is by making sure that this event is the start of a new and different phase of my life, one where eventually (if only by necessity) I will become fitter, where I will become slimmer, where I will appreciate more those I love, what I have, and how it could have been worse much worse.

This doesnt mean that there aren't times when it doesn't hurt, or that I don't get frustrated, upset, and think that life is unfair, but it does remind me and I hope you if you feel the same, know that these times will and do pass...and that a big part of your recovery is ultimately down to you and how you think about your accident and your unique break.

Good luck and best wishes to you....and thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlock43 View Post
My partner (aged 45) broke his leg when a heap of windows fell on him in mid September 2007, he had nine screws and a plate put in and a graft taken from his hip. It has been 9 weeks since the accident, and he gets worried that he will never be able to walk normally again (which is understandable because the doctors keep telling him it was such a bad brake).
After leaving the hospital 4 days after surgery, his leg was swollen to twice its size, the doctors never explained that this was normal. After about six weeks he no longer needed the painkillers. The physio gave him exercises to do, but he still wasn't able to put any wait on, after 8 weeks he can put 30% weight on the leg, the exercises hurt him, but he says it's not as bad as when he first started them. The Phsyio said he is going well and she is surprised he can do as much as he can. I tell him this is a good sign. The swelling is still there but not as bad - the doctors tell me this may be there for 6 months or more or even for life. My partner says sometimes when he does his exercises he can feel the bone grinding together, this is why he feels its not right. Has anyone else felt this and is it normal in recovery?

Old 04-05-2008, 11:03 AM

Default SouperStar34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperStar34 View Post
Yes, a 6 months later when I was 13.

I was on crutches for another month.

This happened about 10 years ago.

Thank you for replying back!
Did your leg feel any different?
Does your leg ever bother you?
I live in Ontario where the weather is humid all the time
it starts to bother my leg where the hardware is, my os
told me he can remove them in two years.
Crazy my fib has never fused together, its been 14 month,
had my x-ray a week ago, there was a big gap between the
bones, this time it look closer thank goodness...
I have alot of questions to ask, hope you don't mind..

Nel

Old 04-05-2008, 11:31 AM

Default sinedie1

Welcome, yes there is hope!
Getting frustrated and feeling helpless will stay with you
for awhile, like you said it could have been worst.
Just have to share, don't get discourage when you see your
x-rays within the first few month, bone healing takes time.

chin up!!

Old 04-05-2008, 11:46 AM

Default Thank you matildaz!

Wow thank you!
You just made my day, I'll be smiling all day now!!
And also for the person who started this thread thank you!!!!
Are you still around Positive??

Sorry we had to meet this way, we are not alone.
A year after my accident I felt soo alone, I never even
thought of the computer until my sister (a nurse ) asked
me if I have gone on the website under compound fracture,
to my surprise, I wasn't alone!!!

Trying times, both my kids have seen me go through good
and bad. I would always explain to them why I was feeling
frustrated and helpless... That put there mind at ease..
Before I forget find an office chair with wheels that'll make
life easier for now... Good luck and keep in touch.

Nel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness