Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2009, 07:36 AM

51 posts, read 159,803 times

Advertisements

theqbaby,well that dont sound too bad. it ill be 2 mos for me next week.and expect to take off brace in a few days. did u have pain ith fwb? sounds like you are doin great..when did u go fwb? yeah i dont think i am goin to have anything removed either unless it starts giving me problems..thanks agian,mike

Old 04-25-2009, 07:39 AM

simms,damn i hope i dont have to get a second surgery. nothing hurts right now though. maybe in a couple mos my foot will stop turning red..

Old 04-25-2009, 07:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,718 times
Default Broken Fibula

I've been surfing the net trying to find out what other people have experienced with a broken fibula. I broke my fibula and the inside of my ankle bone on the 18th of March when I fell down my steps going to work. i was running late and in a hurry. I had surgery on the 24th of march. i have two screws on the left and nine screws and plate on the right. Two of the screws hold both bones together and should come out after four months. I went back to the doctor a couple days ago and was supposed to get the cast off and get the boot. still no weight bearing. But, when the xray was taken, the back side where the plate is not holding everything together, there was a slight offset so he put me in a cast for two more weeks. My doctor said it should go ahead and fuse together. I am a little bit scared that it will have to be rebroken and I have to start this process all over. has anyone been through this? I am sooooo tired of not being mobile. the injury is on my right side, so I can't drive. I feel very helpless....
thank you!
Sonya

Old 04-25-2009, 07:45 AM

greeneyes,WOW hope u never break another bone,you have had more than your share!!,wb in 2 mos the second time and you had more breaks and damage..thats awesome..your body must be a quick healer..i am balancing on my foot now just not much weight. cant wait to go to a cane soon..you must eat right and are healthy too!!

Old 04-25-2009, 08:50 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,159,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike perry ia View Post
theqbaby,well that dont sound too bad. it ill be 2 mos for me next week.and expect to take off brace in a few days. did u have pain ith fwb? sounds like you are doin great..when did u go fwb? yeah i dont think i am goin to have anything removed either unless it starts giving me problems..thanks agian,mike
My recovery has gone differently than most on here.
I had surgery and was given a velcro type brace. Wore it for 2 weeks. I was allowed to start bending my knee after brace came off. Stayed in wheel chair almost 3 months. 2nd Dr. visit was told to work on straightening knee. Saw Dr. again after another 2 months and was told to start partial wb 3/01. Well once I started pwb and wasn't experiencing much pain, I began fwb on my own, inside the house, always having something to lean on. By the time I saw my Dr. the last time he was very impressed with my range of motion, told me to ditch the crutches.
He never mentioned pt to me. Today, if I pay attention, I can almost walk without a limp.
I do still have pain every now and then. It is a different pain. I have the occasional tendons popping when I walk. That feels weird but I wouldn't call it pain.
I was told it would be 8 months before I was fwb. I feel pretty fortunate that I healed as well as I did. Believe me when I say it takes A LOT of patience.
I am not having my hardware removed unless it is extremely bothersome. I do not want to go back to the wheel chair. Yes my knees are different sizes and you can clearly tell I have hardware, but if I can walk, I am not going to sweat the small stuff.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:39 AM

theqbaby, wow you really do have a different type but awesome recovery!! was your injury a tibia plateau fracture? thats what mine is and the os sad it was a bad one. i am balancing on my leg only and the only thing i have is discomfort not pain with the redness and swelling of the foot when upright very long..i am 62 and in great shape 6ft 176 and was told that my weight and health will help. you say it will be 8 mos b4 fwb?

Old 04-25-2009, 01:22 PM

20 posts, read 50,538 times
well its been four months and today i put my old air boot on to try to get my foot moving my ankle is so tight so i started pushing down a little boy it hurt any other suggestions on how i can get my heal down and is all the pain and pulling jumpy feelings normal and thank you all for being so supportive and hope you are all doing well

Old 04-25-2009, 04:43 PM

21 posts, read 119,783 times
Anyone through their own experience have any idea why i may not be able to run again ever after a plate has been fitted, even though i can do it to a certain degree now?

Post from a couple pages back: //www.city-data.com/forum/8500177-post1410.html

Would really appreciate any help that could be given as i'm toying with the idea of agreeing to surgery/or not.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:13 PM

189 posts, read 795,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkydonkey View Post
Anyone through their own experience have any idea why i may not be able to run again ever after a plate has been fitted, even though i can do it to a certain degree now?

Post from a couple pages back: //www.city-data.com/forum/8500177-post1410.html

Would really appreciate any help that could be given as i'm toying with the idea of agreeing to surgery/or not.

stinkydonkey,
The only advice I can offer you would be to get a second opinion. If your OS doesn't have time to explain things to you and you can't seem to get the answers you need, it might not be a bad idea to check with another OS for a second opinion, especially if you are seriously considering surgery. Goodluck and I sincerely hope you get some answers and continue to improve.
Nanny

Old 04-25-2009, 07:35 PM

189 posts, read 795,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by painfulblueeyez View Post
well its been four months and today i put my old air boot on to try to get my foot moving my ankle is so tight so i started pushing down a little boy it hurt any other suggestions on how i can get my heal down and is all the pain and pulling jumpy feelings normal and thank you all for being so supportive and hope you are all doing well

Blueeyez,
When I first got my air boot , it took me 3 days of stretching to get my foot to touch down on the bottom of the boot. You recently got your cast off and your muscles are still very stiff, you just have to keep working on it throughout the day. It will be a little painful and it should feel like it is stretching, I had some of the jumpy feelings too, but they are gone now.

If you have been to PT, they should have given you some exercises and stretches to do at home. Make sure you are moving your foot around as much as possible and doing your stretches as much as you can every day at least 3 to 4 times a day.

When you are sitting and resting with your foot up, wiggle your toes and do toe curls as much as possible. Practice moving your toes up toward your body and then pointing your toes down toward the floor. Also, try spelling out the alphabet with your big toe several times a day while you are sitting, it sounds silly, but it gets your foot moving.

A good exercise my pt gave me is to sit in a chair with your bare feet on the floor and pull your toes up of the floor and put them back down 5-15 times, then pull your heel up off the floor and put it back down 5-15 times, do these several times a day, it will help stretch your muscles in your foot and leg.

Start slow and only do what you can, but you need to do a little more each day and you need to push yourself a little without overdoing it. But you have to do it and keep working at it, you are young and have alot to look forward to, find the motivation and just do it.

I hope this is helpful for you, let us know how you are doing, we are all pulling for you!

Nanny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness