Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2022, 12:32 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Yeah, I am not buying that propaganda.
Me either! We evolved eating meat.

I would have died from a vegan diet in my 20s. All that indigestible fiber blocked the stomach-emptying valve and without modern medical intervention, I would have blown up and died.

There is such a thing as too much fiber. We're actually on a fiber-restricted diet right now due to DH's stomach issues.

We're not herbivores, who need gigantic and/or multi-stomachs to digest all that fiber. We just cannot. Nor can we chew cud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2022, 12:35 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,174,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yes, every time someone pressures us to go vegan, I think of the Inuits traditional diet. No veggies for them, lol.
And the Masai in Africa. Meat, milk and blood.

Both very healthy and fit.
Are Americans who eat a lot of fat healthy and fit? Nope.

Do you know the lifespan of Inuits and Masai? 60+ (depends on tribe) and 42.

The only reason obese Americans with poor eating habits live longer is that we have antibiotics and an array of medical interventions to keep fixing the results of our diabetes and heart disease.

Old 07-15-2022, 12:36 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,870,460 times
Quote:
Me either! We evolved eating meat.

I would have died from a vegan diet in my 20s. All that indigestible fiber blocked the stomach-emptying valve and without modern medical intervention, I would have blown up and died.

There is such a thing as too much fiber. We're actually on a fiber-restricted diet right now due to DH's stomach issues.

We're not herbivores, who need gigantic and/or multi-stomachs to digest all that fiber. We just cannot. Nor can we chew cud.
I have been eating a mostly plant based diet for about 5 years now, and I have to say thee are some days that I definitely feel that I am eating way too much fiber. I honestly jus don't know what to eat at this point since ethically I cannot go back to eating meat.

Old 07-15-2022, 01:15 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Yes, every time someone pressures us to go vegan, I think of the Inuits traditional diet. No veggies for them, lol.
And the Masai in Africa. Meat, milk and blood.

Both very healthy and fit.
Pressured you to go vegan?

Does that happen to you often? Are you approached by people who put a gun to your head or twist your arm behind your back?

I'm curious: Who are these "someones" who pressure you to go vegan and what are their methods?

Old 07-15-2022, 01:22 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Are Americans who eat a lot of fat healthy and fit? Nope.
Vegans, especially ethical vegans, aren't necessarily healthy and fit either.

I'd classify myself as a junk-food vegan: A lot of veggie burgers & french fries or potato chips, pizza, pasta, as well as nachos with vegan cheese.

To me, veganism is a philosophy, not a diet.

Old 07-15-2022, 01:25 PM

1,366 posts, read 994,885 times
The problem isn't the beef, and all of the things the op laid out.

The problem is the amount of beef vs other foods

Beef (esp cow meat) is high in saturated fat, acidic forming (that doesn't mean it's bad), does not have any fiber, and does not have other nutrients your body needs.

The op's art says it well:

Many people, in their effort to “get enough†protein, tend to eat large amounts of animal foods, which displaces plant foods that have these important nutrients.

The remedy here is actually pretty easy: don't allow the beef to displace plant foods. Eat smaller amounts of beef, and larger amounts of vegetables. Instead of a 16oz ribeye, with mashed potatoes on the side (improper food combining - this makes the "beef issue" worse than it needs to be) and a small plate of iceberg lettuce and tomato, eat a 6oz piece of beef, with a large portion of broccoli, or asparagus. Or a large salad with spinach, red leaf lettuce, kale, dand. greens, red cabbage and sprouts. Now you have: 1) all the protein you need in one sitting (and for the average person, almost all the protein you need in one day), 2) a smaller amount of saturated fat, 3) proper food combining, and 4) proper balance between acid and alkaline.

People are in fact under the impression that you need to take in large quantities of beef on a daily basis - this is wrong. A small piece, 3-4 times per week, with eggs, salmon and cod as alternate proteins, is plenty.

Cheers.

Old 07-15-2022, 01:27 PM

708 posts, read 1,296,500 times
Quote:
Dang those canine teeth! If only we weren't born with canine teeth. We are natural omnivores after all, so what the heck are we doing with canine teeth?
I guess if our canine teeth were more like a tiger I may believe what you've said. I've been a vegetarian for 49 years and the older I get the more the idea of eating animals or anything with a face seems repulsive, when I'm so much better off by following my own way of consuming food.

Old 07-15-2022, 01:32 PM

708 posts, read 1,296,500 times
Quote:
Yeah, I am not buying that propaganda.
so now facts are now propaganda. Haha. I bet I can guess who you voted for

Old 07-15-2022, 02:14 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We are a species that is VERY adaptable to eating all different types of foods is what we are.

Look at our brothers and sisters up in the Arctic Circle. Eat mostly birds and seals and fish, all protein and fat. Never had to stare down a piece of broccoli in their lives.
Maybe not broccoli but they certainly consumed many other plants! Fireweed and other summer greens, seeds, berries, tubers, roots, lichens, moss, fungi. I have a "traditional" cookbook compilation of Inuit and Athabascan recipes. Half of the book covers plant foods. Let me tell you about freshly gathered fireweed greens mixed with seal oil, sewn into a seal stomach. The vegetation retains much of its nutritional value for months. What about consuming the stomach contents of large herbivorous mammals? They did that too.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-15-2022 at 02:25 PM..

Old 07-15-2022, 02:28 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
There are so many complex factors that go into the bodily-processing of any food.

In general, to paint a certain food as bad, because there is one component that has a negative attached to it, really oversimplifies the whole picture and is not good science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness