Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 05:50 AM

1,057 posts, read 541,921 times

Advertisements

Just curious, who else to listen to on Youtube besides Dr. Berg? I listened to some Jason Fung and also Thomas DeLauer but looking for anything else good.

I'm interested in low carb (not keto but don't mind hearing about it) and also IF but nothing extreme like the OMAD stuff. Mainly right now doing low carb, a very low-key IF (like 14:10) but not snacking between meals, and eating no added sugar. All this I just started 1-2 weeks ago.

Also looking for good podcasts.

Old 07-28-2022, 06:07 AM

3,426 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
Think about it. If everyone drastically cut their carb intake and became much healthier, how does that help the bottom line with these corporations that provide medical treatment, medicine, and processed foods?

The answer is that it doesn’t. Their stock prices would fall, and heads would roll.
If everyone drastically stopped taking totally unnecessary supplements, snake oil, alt-meds, electric pulsating doo-dads, and overprocessed oversalted "meat analogues" like tofurkey, "Impossible" and "Beyond Meat" - all those alt industries would go out of business.

So it's in their best interest to blame health issues on mainstream medicine and meat-eating.

They're like siblings who just constantly fight. But secretly, they actually love each other. Because each keeps the other in business.

Old 07-28-2022, 08:36 AM

761 posts, read 445,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Jason Fung and Eric Berg are considered the big intermittent fasting/keto diet experts -- who, by the way, see those two approaches as inextricable -- but I instinctively preferred Gin Stephens' ("Fast. Feast. Repeat.") more moderate approach.
So Jason Fung approves of the "intermittent fasting/keto diet?" I have his book, "The Cancer Code" and my one big disappointment was when he stated that a high fat diet doesn't cause cancer. Now I understand why he was so eager to defend high-fat consumption of various ancient tribes.

He seemed so very good at science until he got to the high-fat issue and then he went off the rails.

With the following article, scroll down to where it says, in dark print, Liver problems etc...

https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...-the-keto-diet

Liver problems: [Many over-weight people already suffer from fatty liver disease]

Kidney problems:

Constipation:

Fuzzy thinking and mood swings:

Other long term risks include cancer, heart disease and Alzheimer's. https://www.verywellhealth.com/keto-...-risks-5197991

Last edited by LongevitySeeker; 07-28-2022 at 08:51 AM..

Old 07-28-2022, 09:21 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,642 times
I like Dr. Berg. I don't follow his diet advice but look at other aspects of his practice. He has a low carb pizza recipe that looks good. With either Mozzarella or cauliflower crust (can't remember which but it caught my eye at the time).

Interesting Fact: He is a Christian Scientist.

Old 07-28-2022, 09:25 AM

Quote:
I actually think keto is too restrictive, and it’s just not sustainable for most people. 20 carbs is hardly anything.

I also think a 24 hour or longer fast is just too much as well. Most people, myself included, don’t want to fight the hunger (ghrelin) in order to get past it and then just fast without feeling hungry.

But I am a firm believer in a moderate approach using these two techniques.

It’s very easy for me to do a 16:8 fast each and every single day.
It’s also very easy for me to meet my goal of no more than 50-75 carbs each and every single day too.

This is sustainable for me, and I believe it to be sustainable for everyone, too.

But once you have your IF and carb goals met, you can then start drilling down and making your macros the very best they can be. Fermented foods, omega 3- omega 6 balance, grass fed and organic only. Absolutely no sugar, grab for organic monk fruit or organic stevia instead.

I drink a lot of green tea, cardamom tea, rooibos tea.

Dr. Berg has so many videos that really give you ideas on how to improve your nutrition.

I had just turned 50 and I was in poor health. I wasn’t overweight, but I had digestion problems, stomach aches, headaches, high blood pressure, you name it, all because I was eating a horrific diet of pizza, burgers, donuts, bacon, soft drinks, cookies, cake, candy. My sugar intake could rival anyone on the planet!

But I knew I had to make a change, I was killing myself. Anyway, I started exercising and for the first time in my life, I started eating right after I found Dr. Berg and others on YouTube.

Now, it’s 3 years later and I am in the absolute best health of my life. I feel amazing!

When I eat, no stomach aches or digestion problems. No random headaches anymore. I had to get a physical for the type of job that I do, and for the first time in decades, I had a normal blood pressure.

I went from 5’10 180 to 5’10 155. Sure, I don’t doubt that I look a little on the slim side, but this was never about looking good, it was only about feeling good and being able to continue my demanding career, which I want to try and go until I am 70 at least.

Anyway, I have Dr. Berg to thank for giving me the ideas to turn my life around. If I would’ve continued with my “worst diet on the planet” it’s possible I could’ve already had a heart attack or stroke by now.
Glad to hear you're doing so much better, but from what you have just said, going from the "worst diet on the planet", it's likely you could have made a big improvement with almost any other diet because no diet could have been worse than the junk-food diet you were on. You just happened to find Berg first.

It has been said that keto hasn't passed the long-term test yet, and with old age just around the corner, you will have many more degenerative diseases to think about. Then you might wonder, "what is the best diet to fight against the onslaught of all those degenerative diseases?" And I highly doubt the answer will be Keto.

Old 07-28-2022, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
I like Dr. Berg. I don't follow his diet advice but look at other aspects of his practice. He has a low carb pizza recipe that looks good. With either Mozzarella or cauliflower crust (can't remember which but it caught my eye at the time).

Interesting Fact: He is a Christian Scientist.
He may be a very likable guy, but low carb Mozzarella pizza? Of course it will look good and taste good I'm sure, but I wouldn't call that healthy. It may seem healthy but only by comparison to other pizzas that that are less healthy.

That's like people who buy oatmeal cookies because they think the oatmeal makes it healthy. But when you read the ingredients, the cookies contain more sugar than anything else. But that's a trick that food processors often engage in to sell more of their products.

That pizza to me would represent an open-face cheese sandwich that is high in saturated fat and salt.

Old 07-28-2022, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
It was founded as a counterpoint to Conservapedia. Another online encyclopedia, but that also has nothing to do with wikipedia.

If your searches are THIS flawed - no wonder you constantly post things that so many people disagree with.
You should know better than that. First of all, I seldom do that type of search. And, second, most of the information turned out to be correct. Most importantly, he's a Kook because he recommends a high-fat, low-carb, risky, kook-diet that has no long term safety record.

It's a fad diet, like the Atkins diet. And what was gained by all the many copycat diets that followed? Nothing was gained. The only thing that was gained over the many years since Atkins, is more overweight people. We gained about twice as many overweight and obese people in our population. You need to look at the long term results of such diets.

Old 07-28-2022, 11:53 AM

6,091 posts, read 3,330,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
Glad to hear you're doing so much better, but from what you have just said, going from the "worst diet on the planet", it's likely you could have made a big improvement with almost any other diet because no diet could have been worse than the junk-food diet you were on. You just happened to find Berg first.

It has been said that keto hasn't passed the long-term test yet, and with old age just around the corner, you will have many more degenerative diseases to think about. Then you might wonder, "what is the best diet to fight against the onslaught of all those degenerative diseases?" And I highly doubt the answer will be Keto.
I’ve stated this again and again, but I want to make it clear, I am not a proponent of true keto. Limiting carbs is different than eliminating them altogether.

However, there is obviously a difference between healthy carbs and processed/sugar carbs.

100% of all my carbs are healthy carbs.

There is no question in my mind that I am on the right track with my eating habits.

If somebody wants to follow the USDA guidance and eat 300+ carbs a day, go for it. If someone wants to graze all day and keep their insulin spiked the whole day, go for it. If someone want to be a vegan, go for it.

All I’m saying is that I don’t believe in doing any of that. So far, it’s worked well for me. Eating less carbs, having a short eating window each day, and mixing in organic animal protein with plant protein.

Old 07-28-2022, 12:09 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
He may be a very likable guy, but low carb Mozzarella pizza? Of course it will look good and taste good I'm sure, but I wouldn't call that healthy. It may seem healthy but only by comparison to other pizzas that that are less healthy.
It is not only healthy, but it is (drum roll) the healthiest Pizza in the world. Now how can you not like that. He even uses organic. You could substitute the mozzarella cheese for tofu maybe and replace the eggs with baking powder and this would work for you.

https://www.drberg.com/blog/the-heal...a-in-the-world

2 cups finely grated cauliflower
2 cups shaved mozzarella cheese, plus extra for topping (I use a pre-shaved organic brand.)
2 large eggs
Tomato sauce
Pizza toppings of your choice (I like mushrooms, fresh tomato slices, and fresh basil.)

I personally think this looks like good stuff!

Old 07-28-2022, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I’ve stated this again and again, but I want to make it clear, I am not a proponent of true keto. Limiting carbs is different than eliminating them altogether.

However, there is obviously a difference between healthy carbs and processed/sugar carbs.

100% of all my carbs are healthy carbs.

There is no question in my mind that I am on the right track with my eating habits.

If somebody wants to follow the USDA guidance and eat 300+ carbs a day, go for it. If someone wants to graze all day and keep their insulin spiked the whole day, go for it. If someone want to be a vegan, go for it.

All I’m saying is that I don’t believe in doing any of that. So far, it’s worked well for me. Eating less carbs, having a short eating window each day, and mixing in organic animal protein with plant protein.
I'm a vegan so my whole diet consists of healthy carbs. My BMI has always been somewhere between 18 and 19.5 and I never count calories, although I certainly know which foods are higher in calories. I don't eat organic animal protein because I have learned that, in certain respects, it doesn't make any difference. And that's because of information I learned from the book, "The China Study" by T. Colin Campbell. That book came out in 2005 and now there's a second edition with the same title.

The author, mostly known for being a research scientist, tends not to give any specifics but recommends a "whole foods plant based" diet", a diet that's not high in fat.

It's certainly not for everyone because it seems to be too difficult for most people. Although I found it easy to change over to his diet/regimen 17 years ago and I'm very happy with the results. I was in good health and nowhere near overweight but simply wanted a plan to maintain good health. The main purpose of the diet is to prevent degenerative diseases for as long as possible. And so far I don't feel my age at at 81.

What he discovered about animal protein is not new but was never widely known and was never extensively researched until he came along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.