Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2023, 12:44 PM

43,076 posts, read 18,246,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
There is an old saying that what doesn't kill you, makes your stronger.

You need to be around GERMS so your natural immune system is given a chance to FUNCTION as it was meant to. I am 74.
I also believe that but there's the other side of the coin where some go to great lengths to prevent themselves from getting sick ever.

I don't try to debate it with anyone though. To each his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2023, 06:05 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Quote:
I know more people who have had Covid than haven't, including multiple times. Their age and vaccination status doesn't matter. One woman in her 50's (Nurse) vaccinated and boosters who had it 3 times. ALL variants over the span of three years. Went around the VFW. Husband and buddies had it in 2020 before vaccinations. Most had no symptoms at all but tested positive. Commander was 86. Not hospitalized. Not all of we spouses caught it from them. Tested Negative.

My two daughters have had covid despite being vaccinated. Exception being my oldest unvaccinated grandson now 8. He did not catch it when his younger Brother, Mom, and Cousin had it. Span of 2 years Tested Negative all 3 times. Just lucky or maybe luck from the gene pool. lol
I have never had it, and oddly (luckily) nobody at least in my immediate family has had it. But I would say almost 90% of people I know (work colleagues, friends) have had it at least once.

Old 01-28-2023, 09:57 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,522,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Wow; where do you live?

I have yet to meet one person IRL for whom COVID-19 was "just a cold." But there are so many of them on the Internet.
I got cv 7/7 2020. 57 yr old smoker. Tired 1 day. Only reason I knew I got it was because my Dh ( 64 yr old, 2 heart stents and high blood pressure)tested pos 3 days before, and he was really tired for about a wk. We just took vitamins.
DH got vaxed 10/21. I enrolled in antibody study getting antibody tests every 3 mo. In dec 2021 my antibodies were 130. Dh got cv again in jan 2022, resulting in cv pneumonia. We slept together, no masks, no isolating, but I didn't get it. My antibodies in mar were 2500+. Meaning I was exposed, but my T and B memory cells recognized virus and boosted my antibodies so I didn't get it.
He got cv again (3rd time) june 2022, and was like a bad cold for a week. My antibody level in june were 2039. So still working.

Anecdotally my experiences with my husband and friends are vaxed repeatedly get cv. I personally believe it knocks out your t and b cells reducing immunity to everything. My unvaxed friends and brother had cv once, like a cold, and haven't gotten it again, and aren't getting all the resp crud going around.

Old 01-28-2023, 10:21 PM

15,526 posts, read 10,496,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Delta wave hit the unvaccinated really hard and was definitely not milder than original recipe was. It just fortunately came along at a point where a lot of people, thought either vaccines or previous illness, had developed significant antibodies that allowed their bodies to fight it off better.
My two friends that died from Covid, had Delta. I heard of people getting Alpha, but it was Delta that really seemed to take it's toll (around me anyway).

Old 01-28-2023, 10:23 PM

2,298 posts, read 1,516,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I have never had it, and oddly (luckily) nobody at least in my immediate family has had it. But I would say almost 90% of people I know (work colleagues, friends) have had it at least once.
The latest figures I remember being quoted here are that 70% of adults and 90% of children have had it. In my family, only my husband has not knowingly had it, despite numerous exposures. Daughter has had it twice, and the second time worse (but still fairly minor) Two of the four grandkids have had it twice but with almost no symptoms the second time.

One daughter and family returned yesterday from a holiday in Japan. Had to wear masks almost everywhere, including the kids.

Old 01-29-2023, 01:55 AM

19,423 posts, read 15,236,300 times
Quote:
There is an old saying that what doesn't kill you, makes your stronger. Homeless in LA today? Damn., you didn't need to be homeless living in NYC back in the 50's. We kids played in the streets among animal poop while turning on hydrants, garbage on sideways with strays and RATS breaking into it, human vomit on sidewalks, etc., etc. I am not talking about just SLUMS either. Even Middle Class neighborhoods. I remember kids in my school saying my family was RICH because we had a toilet inside our apartment. Their toilet was in their hallway shared by other tenants. Been to those myself with other family members. Want to know what THOSE looked like?

Yet today with COVID, not only people getting multiple COVID vaccinations, wearing N-95 masks in public, and disinfecting everything from grocery carts, food boxes, and door handles?

You need to be around GERMS so your natural immune system is given a chance to FUNCTION as it was meant to. I am 74.
I'm always surprised by this. I mean, I can see if you have serious health problems, but I never understand how going about wearing a mask and disinfecting everything doesn't make you, and your immune system, weaker. Your upbringing sounds a little rougher than mine, lol, but we were still of a generation that was out there playing in the dirt (with all that that entails), running barefoot through the neighborhood lawns (with all that that entails), etc., and just germs, germs everywhere.

It seems like I mostly got the flu when I was still a kid. Later I would mostly get colds, but usually just once a year, around winter. Now my SO and I basically never get sick. Sometimes we feel something coming on, but apparently our systems fight it off and it goes away. I'm 59.

We like to cook and use a wide variety of fresh ingredients, which happen to include tons of garlic, antioxidants, etc., and I think that might have a lot to do with it. Or at least I'm hoping. We also get out in the sun a lot.

Old 01-29-2023, 04:13 AM

10,230 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I'm always surprised by this. I mean, I can see if you have serious health problems, but I never understand how going about wearing a mask and disinfecting everything doesn't make you, and your immune system, weaker. Your upbringing sounds a little rougher than mine, lol, but we were still of a generation that was out there playing in the dirt (with all that that entails), running barefoot through the neighborhood lawns (with all that that entails), etc., and just germs, germs everywhere.

It seems like I mostly got the flu when I was still a kid. Later I would mostly get colds, but usually just once a year, around winter. Now my SO and I basically never get sick. Sometimes we feel something coming on, but apparently our systems fight it off and it goes away. I'm 59.

We like to cook and use a wide variety of fresh ingredients, which happen to include tons of garlic, antioxidants, etc., and I think that might have a lot to do with it. Or at least I'm hoping. We also get out in the sun a lot.
To the home cooking and especially to the garlic. My Uncle used to eat raw garlic. He said it keeps the vampires away and also mosquitoes. They never bit him!

Old 01-29-2023, 07:18 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
To the home cooking and especially to the garlic. My Uncle used to eat raw garlic. He said it keeps the vampires away and also mosquitoes. They never bit him!
They love to bite me, and I've spent a few summers in rural Ontario, where there are more mosquitoes than I ever encountered even in mosquito-infested NJ. Maybe I should chew garlic.

JK, Ugh, I was caught on trains and in elevators with those people for too many years. People who apparently thought it was a great thing to chew garlic for breakfast. I think they didn't get sick because other humans avoided them!

Old 01-29-2023, 08:23 AM

10,552 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Quote:
Maybe so. Some people apparently "smell" more attractive to mosquitoes than others, for whatever reason.

However, I suspect it's some chemical factor we're not aware of rather than something so obvious to us. My wife eats plenty garlic and is a mosquito magnet.

My immune system has served me quite well over the years, but I would not choose to risk exposure to Delta Covid without being vaxxed at my age. (64). A former coworker of mine, same age, had a protracted struggle before dying 2 yrs ago from the original strain of this nasty virus.

Old 01-29-2023, 01:13 PM

19,423 posts, read 15,236,300 times
Quote:
Lol, I mince up raw garlic and put it in homemade salad dressings, but any acids I'm using seems to "cook" the garlic so it's palatable. I guess it's technically still raw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness