Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2023, 01:20 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,182,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Are you such an authority because of your medical background? C'mon share it with us. If you have any.

Frankly, a heck of a lot of us are tired of people who really know next to nothing about science or medicine coming on here and claiming there is something phony about vaccination.

Thanks, I take my advice from experts and you obviously are not one.
There is nothing phony about vaccination. I just don't personally believe that the Covid shot or flu shot are vaccines. I got the MMR vaccine when I was a child; I'm 48 and to my knowledge, I've never had measles, mumps, or rubella.

Do people have to get the MMR vaccine every year? How about the smallpox vaccine (when it was given in this country)? How about the shingles vaccine? Or the HPV vaccine?

Vaccines are typically one (sometimes two) and done. Annual shots to address the prior year's strain of something are not vaccines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2023, 01:27 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
There is nothing phony about vaccination. I just don't personally believe that the Covid shot or flu shot are vaccines. I got the MMR vaccine when I was a child; I'm 48 and to my knowledge, I've never had measles, mumps, or rubella.

Do people have to get the MMR vaccine every year? How about the smallpox vaccine (when it was given in this country)? How about the shingles vaccine? Or the HPV vaccine?

Vaccines are typically one (sometimes two) and done. Annual shots to address the prior year's strain of something are not vaccines.
Yes, some do need to be updated if you are at risk for being exposed, like small pox. I think when DH was in the military, they received updates on a bunch of those you listed.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-01-2023, 01:42 PM

393 posts, read 409,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I don't believe losing 1,000,000 people is a minor event. Its a greater number than all of the people this country lost in World War I, World War II, the Korean War, and Vietnam combined. If you want to call concern over that as being "hysterical" than please go ahead.

The reality is that if some of us hadn't been "hysterical" and went along with mask wearing restrictions, social distancing, temporary business closures, and vaccination that the death toll from Covid 19 in this country would have been much higher. Our health care system would have been literally overwhelmed and we would have seen tens of thousands of other deaths from things like heart disease and cancer as well as these problems would have gone undiagnosed and untreated.

Covid 19 hit people with preexisting health issues the hardest, but this was not entirely correct. Very healthy individuals did die from Covid 19 in select situations. More importantly, talking about "high risk" people shows a certain disdain for others. Large percentages of this country are overweight, have heart problems, have asthma, are being treated for cancer, etc. I have concluded that some people think these groups are "expendable" just so long as they continue living life the way they always have. Public health is exactly that: Public health. Its not about treating disease after it occurred in one individual. Its about disease prevention within entire communities. Its a concept I learned to my amazement that a large part of America refuse to acknowledge or understand. There used to be a course in high school called "Health" that covered these issues. I wonder if it is no longer taught?

Covid 19 is a smaller threat than it used to be not only because the virus has mutated, but because of vaccination and medications like Paxlovid that are effective in treating it. All these were things that our system was forced to do under enormous pressure. Now that they have been done I see a lot of people who want to pretend there was never a problem in the first place or somehow see the problem as "Gubamint" instead of the disease that caused all this carnage.

I admit to a great amount of disappointment in a large percentage of Americans. The Covid 19 Crisis was a learning experience for me and part of what I learned was much of this country can't be counted on even when a real crisis exists. Unfortunately, I have to include some people in my own office in this calculation. This is the group that refused to vaccinate, never admitted a real problem existed, and today spends all its time either blaming government or trying to lay the blame on China for intentionally causing this problem. Its a nasty reality, but that is the truth.
The Covid death number have always been exaggerated. (watch me get banned for life for this). People that died of comorbidity, but just happened to have covid, died of covid. Hospitals received funding for diagnosis of covid and testing went through the roof. A funny is you don't know you have covid until you've been tested for covid.

The more the gubamint pushed the narrative the more suspect it became. I don't think it was tested fully, I don't think it should have been a mandate, (ask my wife who lost her job for refusing), I think a lot of money was thrown around and not accounted for, (typical). I've lost all respect for the media, I certainly distrust the government more now than ever, and the abuse I've encountered because of my scepticism is almost unforgivable.

Old 02-01-2023, 03:57 PM

9,853 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
We still grocery shop wearing a mask (ages 60 & 70something) and in my usual store I always see several our age wearing masks and a few workers doing that too.

But yesterday at LIDL (it's like ALDI but way better) I was accosted by a 40something who acted like I was crazy for doing that. At first I thought she was a religious fanatic but as she continued to get closer and louder clearly she is a Covid-denier. "It never happened, we've been lied to, I've never gotten it and never worn a mask"......on and on she went for minutes.

I kept quiet and held my arm out with open palm so she wouldn't get any closer because she kept getting closer and speaking with enough force to spit.
It's OK for her to have her own opinion but why attack me while I'm quietly shopping?
Knowing that she and others have never been vaccinated is why I wear a mask.

I got Covid 6 months ago, it was very disabling and my cough and mucus lasted for months. Husband got it from me.
I NEVER want to get another version of Covid again and pass it to my husband who is older than I.
That is just crazy behavior and I do mean mental illness. I wouldn't have listened to her for minutes - I would've walked quickly to the front of the store or to the nearest employee for assistance.

Old 02-01-2023, 07:18 PM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krug View Post
The Covid death number have always been exaggerated... People that died of comorbidity, but just happened to have covid, died of covid.unforgivable.
From the Association of American Medical Colleges: How are COVID-19 deaths counted? https://www.aamc.org/news-insights/h...-s-complicated

Old 02-01-2023, 11:01 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,955,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
I got Covid 6 months ago, it was very disabling and my cough and mucus lasted for months. Husband got it from me.
I NEVER want to get another version of Covid again and pass it to my husband who is older than I.
I hope you're doing better now.

I understand what you mean. My erstwhile spouse is older but probably in better health. Still, I wouldn't want to give him Covid.

I connected this week with a long-time friend who told me he doesn't wear masks and has never gotten Covid. He gets all the vaccines, including the latest and greatest, and for some reason this has made him invulnerable.

Old 02-02-2023, 07:14 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
From the Association of American Medical Colleges: How are COVID-19 deaths counted? https://www.aamc.org/news-insights/h...-s-complicated
This is a section of the article you link too:

Quote:
Nevertheless, the official numbers don’t capture all COVID-19 deaths, for several reasons.

When tests for COVID-19 were scarce while the pandemic raced across the country in the spring of 2020, many infected people died without being tested. That includes those who showed mild symptoms or symptoms that were attributed to other causes.

“If anything, we’re missing patients who had COVID,” Raja says.
In short, there is every reason to believe that Covid 19 deaths have been undercounted, not overcounted.

Last edited by markg91359; 02-02-2023 at 07:23 AM..

Old 02-02-2023, 07:33 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post

I get the influenza vaccine every year. Immunity tends to wane over time for many vaccines. Its why when you were a child in school, you would frequently get a booster vaccine. I remember getting boosters for TDaP in elementary school. The small pox vaccine is not given any more because there is no more small pox. Vaccination eliminated small pox as a disease. Not all vaccines produce the same degree of immunity for the same period of time and that is why boosters are necessary for some.

I've also included a link to the Merriam Webster Dictionary which defines vaccines. Covid 19 vaccines are specifically covered.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vaccine

Old 02-02-2023, 07:48 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,031,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I hope you're doing better now.

I understand what you mean. My erstwhile spouse is older but probably in better health. Still, I wouldn't want to give him Covid.

I connected this week with a long-time friend who told me he doesn't wear masks and has never gotten Covid. He gets all the vaccines, including the latest and greatest, and for some reason this has made him invulnerable.
I know how I got Covid because Costco called me a week after my hearing aid checkup to tell me my test guy had it. Test is done close quarters inside a closed booth and it was after mask mandate was lifted. I had symptoms 2 days after that appointment but didn't know that was what it was until getting tested at CVS drive-through, didn't have home tests then, we have them now.

I have no co-morbidities and am generally healthy, so is my husband.
I know people in my family that have had Covid 2 times, not something I want to repeat since it took a long time to feel better. Wearing a mask around strangers is not much effort for me.

Old 02-02-2023, 08:52 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yes, some do need to be updated if you are at risk for being exposed, like small pox...
Right. And viruses such as measles do not mutate in the same manner that the coronavirus does.

SARS-CoV-2, similarly to seasonal flu, can mutate from season to season. The mutations acquired over the course of several months can result in structural changes to its glycoproteins, making it unrecognizable to the antibodies produced in response to a previous vaccine.

The measles virus does not mutate in the same way as SARS-CoV-2. “Mutations [in the virus’ genetic material] may impair the glycoproteins on the measles virus’ surface, which it needs for entry into your cells,” says Bone. While the measles virus mutates as readily as any other similar virus, mutations in the antibody-binding glycoproteins are unfavorable to its infectivity.

https://www.technologynetworks.com/b...es-shot-356949

https://discoverysedge.mayo.edu/2021...cape-immunity/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness