Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2023, 02:37 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
The virus has morphed much less lethal or severe over the past 3 years..2020, 2021 and 2022
Delta wave hit the unvaccinated really hard and was definitely not milder than original recipe was. It just fortunately came along at a point where a lot of people, thought either vaccines or previous illness, had developed significant antibodies that allowed their bodies to fight it off better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2023, 03:23 PM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
How many IRL people did you know who got COVID-19? 10? 25? 50? 75? 100?
Well over a 100. In fact, I know very few people who haven't had COVID-19 yet.

Quote:
However COVID did almost nothing to the homeless. Nothing. News and articles were few and far between for a group who hardly ever followed the safety protocols recommended because it never devastated them.
Unfortunately, that wasn't the case in Los Angeles.

http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/med...melessness.pdf

California homeless crisis grew steadily over pandemic:
https://calmatters.org/housing/2022/...risis-latinos/

Homeless Deaths in Los Angeles Soared During the Pandemic:
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/25/u...-new-york.html

Old 01-27-2023, 04:13 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,972,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Wow; where do you live?

I have yet to meet one person IRL for whom COVID-19 was "just a cold." But there are so many of them on the Internet.
Out of "well over 100?" Not a single one? You are brazenly lying.

Old 01-27-2023, 05:10 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Out of "well over 100?" Not a single one? You are brazenly lying.
Who among the vaxxed and unvaxxed HAVE had (repeated) Covid would make an interesting poll question.

Old 01-27-2023, 11:18 PM

631 posts, read 288,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Who among the vaxxed and unvaxxed HAVE had (repeated) Covid would make an interesting poll question.
I agree, it would be.

I had COVID at least once before the vax ( I suspect I also had it at the very beginning of the pandemic, based on hindsight symptom look-back, which would make it twice), then I had the vax, then I got COVID again a year ago. My worst bout was the one after the vax. I had weeklong GI symptoms that weren’t there in the previous instances. All bouts left me profoundly fatigued for at least a month, and the last bout (post vax) left me wiped out for three months. It was the kind of fatigue that made me take work calls in bed. Getting up to make breakfast was a daunting task.

The post infection fatigue was the worst part. Otherwise, my symptoms were mild, compared to what others described going through. Slight intermittent fever, swollen lymph nodes (my cardinal sign), loss of taste, which wasn’t exactly a loss as much as everything tasted disgusting after a few bites, and night sweats. So not exactly like a typical cold - I didn’t even have a cough! - but not anywhere near as bad as my typical case of the flu. Flu was infinitely worse for me - but I realize that COVID is oddly heterogenous in how it manifests in people, so I’m not going to generalize for others. All my co-workers had COVID, and for some, it was worse than their typical case of the flu. No one died, and no one was hospitalized.

Old 01-28-2023, 03:36 AM

53 posts, read 42,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaea View Post

I had COVID at least once before the vax ( I suspect I also had it at the very beginning of the pandemic, based on hindsight symptom look-back, which would make it twice), then I had the vax, then I got COVID again a year ago. My worst bout was the one after the vax. I had weeklong GI symptoms that weren’t there in the previous instances. All bouts left me profoundly fatigued for at least a month, and the last bout (post vax) left me wiped out for three months. It was the kind of fatigue that made me take work calls in bed. Getting up to make breakfast was a daunting task.

The post infection fatigue was the worst part. Otherwise, my symptoms were mild, compared to what others described going through. Slight intermittent fever, swollen lymph nodes (my cardinal sign), loss of taste, which wasn’t exactly a loss as much as everything tasted disgusting after a few bites, and night sweats. So not exactly like a typical cold - I didn’t even have a cough! - but not anywhere near as bad as my typical case of the flu. Flu was infinitely worse for me - but I realize that COVID is oddly heterogenous in how it manifests in people, so I’m not going to generalize for others. All my co-workers had COVID, and for some, it was worse than their typical case of the flu. No one died, and no one was hospitalized.
My 2nd case of covid was in June. Looking back, it felt quite similar to what I had in Feb. 2020, mainly an annoying cough, fever and feeling tired. For the second case, soon after I tested positive from an at home test, I went to the doctor and got prescribed Paxlovid for it. I felt better as soon as the next day later and was over it a few days later. The first bout lasted about twice as long. Both cases made the coughing muscles in my chest sore. I had two doses of Pfizer in March & April '21, but chose not to go with any boosters. The covid vaccines had become too controversial to me to continue.

Interesting how different covid cases can be. My friend said for her it was mainly the headaches.

Old 01-28-2023, 08:14 AM

10,552 posts, read 7,750,499 times
I got Covid in late October of 2022, two weeks after receiving Bivalent booster. The only reason I home tested was my throat became just a bit sore and my radar was up because my wife had been mildly ill a few days earlier. We had recently returned from a trip through Vegas to Zion NP.

Practically imperceptible symptoms for three days, but took two full weeks for me to return a negative test result.

Old 01-28-2023, 10:07 AM

10,231 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Quote:
How many IRL people did you know who got COVID-19? 10? 25? 50? 75? 100?

Probably more than half of the people I worked with got it, and that's from a company of 600+. I don't know everyone individually but longest case it took for them to recover was 6 weeks before the shots came out. No one died, no one became disabled, some said it was like a case of a bad flu, some said it was a nothing burger, some knew people who died from it, some still to this day wear masks with all the shots and I respect everyone's choice to wear them.

My deepest sympathies for the elderly who passed away from COVID. The case has already been made about how most already have other ailments due to age and COVID was another thing their bodies couldn't handle. It must have been so frightening in the beginning at nursing homes before the shots. Condolences to everyone who lost an elderly loved one from this.

However COVID did almost nothing to the homeless. Nothing. News and articles were few and far between for a group who hardly ever followed the safety protocols recommended because it never devastated them. I don't need to see any articles because the death rate is pretty much non-existent when it came to the homeless. No wipes, no masks, so crowded, germs everywhere, few shots taken, COVID backed down when it came across this group.
There is an old saying that what doesn't kill you, makes your stronger. Homeless in LA today? Damn., you didn't need to be homeless living in NYC back in the 50's. We kids played in the streets among animal poop while turning on hydrants, garbage on sideways with strays and RATS breaking into it, human vomit on sidewalks, etc., etc. I am not talking about just SLUMS either. Even Middle Class neighborhoods. I remember kids in my school saying my family was RICH because we had a toilet inside our apartment. Their toilet was in their hallway shared by other tenants. Been to those myself with other family members. Want to know what THOSE looked like?

Yet today with COVID, not only people getting multiple COVID vaccinations, wearing N-95 masks in public, and disinfecting everything from grocery carts, food boxes, and door handles?

You need to be around GERMS so your natural immune system is given a chance to FUNCTION as it was meant to. I am 74.

Old 01-28-2023, 10:37 AM

10,231 posts, read 6,315,362 times
I know more people who have had Covid than haven't, including multiple times. Their age and vaccination status doesn't matter. One woman in her 50's (Nurse) vaccinated and boosters who had it 3 times. ALL variants over the span of three years. Went around the VFW. Husband and buddies had it in 2020 before vaccinations. Most had no symptoms at all but tested positive. Commander was 86. Not hospitalized. Not all of we spouses caught it from them. Tested Negative.

My two daughters have had covid despite being vaccinated. Exception being my oldest unvaccinated grandson now 8. He did not catch it when his younger Brother, Mom, and Cousin had it. Span of 2 years Tested Negative all 3 times. Just lucky or maybe luck from the gene pool. lol

Old 01-28-2023, 12:19 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
You need to be around GERMS so your natural immune system is given a chance to FUNCTION as it was meant to. I am 74.
Immunity -- your body's defense system -- tends to get weaker with age. “Just as you probably can't run as fast as you used to in your 20s, your immune system doesn't work as well as it used to,” says Aaron E. Glatt, MD, chairman of the department of medicine at South Nassau Communities Hospitals.

And I would have put a coin slot on that community toilet and charged people a quarter per crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness