Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2023, 01:28 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I'm always surprised by this. I mean, I can see if you have serious health problems, but I never understand how going about wearing a mask and disinfecting everything doesn't make you, and your immune system, weaker.
By the time you get to be my age, the immune system is already quite weak. I'm 69.

The effects of aging on the immune system are manifest at multiple levels that include reduced production of B and T cells in bone marrow and thymus and diminished function of mature lymphocytes in secondary lymphoid tissues. As a result, elderly individuals do not respond to immune challenge as robustly as the young.

I don't disinfect much of anything, but the mask keeps me safe in public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2023, 01:35 PM

19,423 posts, read 15,236,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
They love to bite me, and I've spent a few summers in rural Ontario, where there are more mosquitoes than I ever encountered even in mosquito-infested NJ. Maybe I should chew garlic.

JK, Ugh, I was caught on trains and in elevators with those people for too many years. People who apparently thought it was a great thing to chew garlic for breakfast. I think they didn't get sick because other humans avoided them!
We had a friend whose dad was Italian. He (the dad) knew all the good Italian delis. Anyway, one time we met up with her and she had spent the night before drinking wine and eating good Italian salami with her dad. She almost bowled us over. lol

Old 01-29-2023, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Maybe so. Some people apparently "smell" more attractive to mosquitoes than others, for whatever reason.

However, I suspect it's some chemical factor we're not aware of rather than something so obvious to us. My wife eats plenty garlic and is a mosquito magnet.

My immune system has served me quite well over the years, but I would not choose to risk exposure to Delta Covid without being vaxxed at my age. (64). A former coworker of mine, same age, had a protracted struggle before dying 2 yrs ago from the original strain of this nasty virus.
Same here. I will literally eat garlic as a snack (not raw, though).

I'm sorry to hear about your coworker. That's awful.

Old 01-29-2023, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
By the time you get to be my age, the immune system is already quite weak. I'm 69.

The effects of aging on the immune system are manifest at multiple levels that include reduced production of B and T cells in bone marrow and thymus and diminished function of mature lymphocytes in secondary lymphoid tissues. As a result, elderly individuals do not respond to immune challenge as robustly as the young.

I don't disinfect much of anything, but the mask keeps me safe in public.
I can see having more concerns the older we get. That makes sense.

I had COVID in 2021. I've never gotten the vaccine and I've never had a flu shot. I rarely use medications, including pain relievers. I just prefer not to, and I'm very lucky and grateful that I haven't needed to.

Old 01-29-2023, 04:31 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,074,759 times
I’m a firm believer of staying in shape, consuming a proper diet, vitamins, cardio/flex/stretch and using common sense on things like not sharing confined area or being in tight crowds to fight off getting ill.
A constant degree of germs seems to help as well.
A spike not so much.

It is really hard to believe that at one time (just a little while ago) people were fine with law enforcement chasing down people on vacant beaches (some were even in the surf) to give them tickets or that it was ok to keep the kids out of school for a few years or having a large portion of our small businesses shut down due to strict regulations that wrecked our economy.
We were not even allowed to fish on our own private property without receiving a violation for poaching and were publicly shamed for complaining.

Hopefully we have learned from these absurd tactics and NEVER have to be subjected to them again.
I just don’t think that’ll fly any more, anytime soon.

Old 01-30-2023, 12:11 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy;64802782[B
]I’m a firm believer of staying in shape, consuming a proper diet, vitamins, cardio/flex/stretch and using common sense on things like not sharing confined area or being in tight crowds to fight off getting ill.[/b]
A constant degree of germs seems to help as well.
A spike not so much.

It is really hard to believe that at one time (just a little while ago) people were fine with law enforcement chasing down people on vacant beaches (some were even in the surf) to give them tickets or that it was ok to keep the kids out of school for a few years or having a large portion of our small businesses shut down due to strict regulations that wrecked our economy.
We were not even allowed to fish on our own private property without receiving a violation for poaching and were publicly shamed for complaining.

Hopefully we have learned from these absurd tactics and NEVER have to be subjected to them again.
I just don’t think that’ll fly any more, anytime soon.
The reason so many people get the flu is that what you have described doesn't stop you from being infected with a contagious disease. Eating all the health food in the world and exercising will not prevent a contagious disease from ravaging a population.

I just shake my head at all the people who reject science and conventional medicine because of a desire to believe in unproven natural remedies.

I've posted links in two other posts that demonstrate that vaccination and other measures likely saved 3,000,000 lives in the USA during the Covid 19 epidemic. As it was, we lost over a 1,000,000 people. Yeah, there were valid reasons for the concern shown about Covid 19 which included business and school closures. What you don't seem to grasp is that the disease epidemic would have shut these businesses down on its own if government hadn't closed them. You can claim these tactics were absurd to kingdom come. They were not.

Anyway, I'm going to post my link one more time. Hopefully, you will read it.

https://www.commonwealthfund.org/blo...spitalizations

Old 01-30-2023, 12:51 PM

43,076 posts, read 18,252,401 times
WHO met today and said we're still in a pandemic but we are near/at a transition point.

https://www.who.int/news/item/30-01-...d-19)-pandemic

Old 01-30-2023, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The reason so many people get the flu is that what you have described doesn't stop you from being infected with a contagious disease. Eating all the health food in the world and exercising will not prevent a contagious disease from ravaging a population.

I just shake my head at all the people who reject science and conventional medicine because of a desire to believe in unproven natural remedies.

I've posted links in two other posts that demonstrate that vaccination and other measures likely saved 3,000,000 lives in the USA during the Covid 19 epidemic. As it was, we lost over a 1,000,000 people. Yeah, there were valid reasons for the concern shown about Covid 19 which included business and school closures. What you don't seem to grasp is that the disease epidemic would have shut these businesses down on its own if government hadn't closed them. You can claim these tactics were absurd to kingdom come. They were not.

Anyway, I'm going to post my link one more time. Hopefully, you will read it.

https://www.commonwealthfund.org/blo...spitalizations
FYI, debating the vaccine is prohibited in this particular thread, as opposed to the other COVID threads in P&OC.

Old 01-30-2023, 01:27 PM

4,180 posts, read 5,060,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I’m a firm believer of staying in shape, consuming a proper diet, vitamins, cardio/flex/stretch and using common sense on things like not sharing confined area or being in tight crowds to fight off getting ill...

What I've seen in older individuals is that the less they stress over things, the longer they live

Old 01-30-2023, 01:41 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
FYI, debating the vaccine is prohibited in this particular thread, as opposed to the other COVID threads in P&OC.
We can discuss from a scientific point of view. The article I'm referencing is about a scientific study that concluded that 3,000,000 lives were saved due to vaccination and other measures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness