Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 06:37 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,969,541 times

Advertisements

My normal, healthy, very athletic daughter had the vaccine ( just the first out of three shots) and had a reaction. She developed inflamation and fluid around her heart, as well as dizziness, shortness of breath, stomach pains, sensitivity to light, loss of appetite, fatigue, leg tremors and weakness in her hands and arms, etc etc. This is a girl that before the shot was running five to ten miles DAILY and now has problems walking across the room to go to the bathroom. Two of her three cardiologists, as well as her pediatricians and two ER docs, ALL felt like this was a direct result of the vaccine. My niece had the full series and didn't have a reaction, as well as many thousands of other girls, however that doesn't mean that there aren't some people that do react. And just because it doesn't happen instantly doesn't mean it doesn't happen. There are advancements and new medical discoveries made every day, but think about the other things that have been learned along the way such as the dangers of phen fen, vioxx as well as numerous others that had to be taken off the market. Again, I realize that most medicines that are available are for the betterment of the general population. But that does not mean what's good for you is good for me. Penicillian is a widely used drug, but look at the amount of people that can't take it because they react negatively.

I guess my point is this: everyone should be able to make their own INFORMED decisions and just because you have given thousands of injections and haven't seen an instant reaction, doesn't mean they don't happen.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:42 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,982,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemommee View Post
My normal, healthy, very athletic daughter had the vaccine ( just the first out of three shots) and had a reaction. She developed inflamation and fluid around her heart, as well as dizziness, shortness of breath, stomach pains, sensitivity to light, loss of appetite, fatigue, leg tremors and weakness in her hands and arms, etc etc. This is a girl that before the shot was running five to ten miles DAILY and now has problems walking across the room to go to the bathroom. Two of her three cardiologists, as well as her pediatricians and two ER docs, ALL felt like this was a direct result of the vaccine. My niece had the full series and didn't have a reaction, as well as many thousands of other girls, however that doesn't mean that there aren't some people that do react. And just because it doesn't happen instantly doesn't mean it doesn't happen. There are advancements and new medical discoveries made every day, but think about the other things that have been learned along the way such as the dangers of phen fen, vioxx as well as numerous others that had to be taken off the market. Again, I realize that most medicines that are available are for the betterment of the general population. But that does not mean what's good for you is good for me. Penicillian is a widely used drug, but look at the amount of people that can't take it because they react negatively.

I guess my point is this: everyone should be able to make their own INFORMED decisions and just because you have given thousands of injections and haven't seen an instant reaction, doesn't mean they don't happen.

I am so sorry that this happened to your daughter. I hope that she is able to make a full recovery.

Informed consent is key. A doctor or nurse saying "oh, it's fine, it's safe! The worse thing that could happen is that her arm could hurt for a few days." is NOT informed consent!

Old 06-08-2008, 11:11 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,742,442 times
My daughter had the full series, no complications at all and our PPO, Blue Cross of Idaho paid.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:33 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,969,541 times
Thank you beanandpumpkin, I appreciate it! She seems to be doing a little better today actually. She's complaining of being bored,lol. I'll take that as a good sign!

Old 08-11-2008, 08:11 AM

859 posts, read 2,148,525 times
Anyone watch CNN this morning?
21 deaths in 2 years, over 9000 got sick and not just a pain in the Arm either. They are really looking into things now .

Sorry, but I still say this was not tested enough.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:16 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
No, I missed it. Will have to look it up online in the am. I've told my daughter I don't want her to get anymore of the shots. Aside from not having the money for it, I'd rather see a more long-term history. She is an adult; she will do what she thinks is right.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:42 AM

756 posts, read 2,574,684 times
hpv is a std....so dont have unprotected sex...

better yet teach our daughters to abstain....untill marriage

no problem

Old 08-12-2008, 01:28 AM

536 posts, read 2,154,113 times
I got the shots less than a year ago and didn't notice any side effects. My insurance covered it, but I had to dispute it because my final shot was after my 26th birthday so they weren't going to cover it but ended up paying for it. I really was hesitant about it, but I have a friend who was recently diagnosed with HPV, which she got from her boyfriend of 2 years. He didn't know he had it, actually men don't actually have it, they just carry it. Anyway, unprotected sex or not.... you might end up marrying a carrier.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:58 PM

859 posts, read 2,148,525 times
Oh trust me I am teaching my Daughter and Boys BOTH about SAVE Sex !

Old 08-12-2008, 02:38 PM

348 posts, read 1,222,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
Call me old school and I'm sure I'll get a lot of feedback on this but my daughter and I discussed - no, let me correct that, she came to me and told me that she didn't want it, she researched it and decided against it. She felt that all she read was not convincing enough to chance any possible long term or short term side effects. You know we as a rule in society today are so quick to take a drug, take an injection - the "quick fix" for so many things and the pharmaceutical companies are eating it up as they pocket the billions of dollars they make off of doctors readily handing out scripts. It concerns me that all of these new drugs come out,we stick our kids on them for everything from ADD to asthma and just take an ad's word that it's good for them. Years later, people die, the drugs are pulled off (and this is everyone not just kids) and then we wonder why the pharma companies could put such unsafe drugs on the market. I for one will not take something that hasn't been thoroughly researched, been out on the market long enough to work out all the bugs. I'm almost 40 and other than yearly labs and physicals every 2-3 years, I never see a doctor. My kids are grown and they are the same - we have no reason to go, we get sick in the winter, we drink lots of fluids and get sleep. It frustrates me that we in general just put so much trust into doctors and pharmaceutical companies. I feel fairly confident that in few years, maybe several, people who got this Gardisil injection are going to have very adverse reactions. You can't just put something in your body that potent without some kind of effect happening - not now maybe later and for some maybe never but why risk it? Just my honest opinion, I'm already aware that this will create all sorts of comments / responses and to be honest I don't care. This is just my honest opinion and not meant to have all sorts of drama associated nor is it meant to draw the types who will scold me about not getting my poor daughter vaccinated with Gardisil. Save it.. LOL
I agree with you on your point of view on Gardisil but you cannot generalize the medical community and assume they are all out to hurt patients. There are bad apples out there, but don't over-generalize.

I used to work for Merck and know quite a bit about what is going on and the bottom line is this, take it for what it's worth:

There is "NO PROOF" that Gardasil causes the listed AEs and there is "NO PROOF" that Gardasil PREVENTS cervical cancer. But our job is (was) to sell this vaccine based on the fact that there is NO PROOF it works and NO PROOF that it harms people!!!

I do not have children, but I have advised my nieces and those I know NOT to take this vaccine. Your best ally is early prevention and detection, that is key. Not everyone will agree with me, so make your own choice.

I will stress my former statement that you cannot make broad generalizations that all doctors, pharmaceutical comapanies, medications and vaccines, etc are bad. I now work for an specilized, ethical company that actually brings quality to patients lives.

It is wise to be informed and educate yourselves and ask questions. In fact, you should never blindly trust a doctor, instead, ask them questions and try to understand why they are prescribing x, y or z. Get involved in the process because if you are seeing a dr that is unethical, by doing this, you will weed them out which in turn may save you money and most importantly, your LIFE.

Always be a skeptic but show you want to work with your healthcare team and be proactive. Your more likely to get better care that way.

Sorry to get off topic, just so many issues wrapped up in this. Hope this information helps.

Last edited by GoTexan; 08-12-2008 at 02:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness