Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What contraceptive methods are you confortable with?
I am a man and not a big fan of condoms 8 30.77%
I am a woman and not a big fan of barrier method e.g condoms, diaphragms and cervical caps. 5 19.23%
I am a man condoms is best way possible unless otherwise 4 15.38%
I am a woman barrier methods are the safest way possible 5 19.23%
I am a man hormonal contraceptive aren't safe for her unless otherwise 1 3.85%
I am a woman hormonal contraceptive methods are not safe, unless otherwise 3 11.54%
I am a man hormonal methods could ruin our sex lives 0 0%
I am a woman hormonal methods could ruin our sex lives 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 08:39 AM

275 posts, read 687,069 times

Advertisements

Me and my girlfriend have been in a relationship for three months our motives for our relationship is long term nothing random, but we have had some major issues such us unplanned pregnancy, i will be graduating soon from university and she will be just getting into it and we do not want to ruin our lives.

so we suggested hormonal contraceptive methods since i am not a big fan of condoms, my reason for not using a condom is the less sensitivity it has for me and sex wouldn't mean anything to me but just getting off.

I am well aware of the hormonal contraceptive side effects and the worse of all would be lower sex drive for her and i know that wouldn't be pretty for the both of us, as it is not only about just her or me but our relationship . I love her and i care about her and i wouldn't want the worse to happen to both of us.

I am thinking of using a condom for our own good, until the time is right and also I would like to know your best way possible of managing birth control over all these years or months of sustained romance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 08:51 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
My husband got a vasectomy, but that's permanent (or should be regarded as such--don't get one and plan to reverse it someday).

For long-term but reversible birth control, oral contraceptives are better than condoms. Your girlfriend, if she is amenable, might have to try a few different types/doses before she finds one that works for her. Most women can use one or another.

HOWEVER:

1. If she is not 100% good about taking a pill, don't use the pill. She has to take it every single day without fail.
2. You should probably "double up" anyway. NO contraceptive is 100% effective.
3. Be prepared to get pregnant anyway.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:52 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,678,559 times
I use to use the pullout method until she got pregnant

Old 03-15-2010, 08:53 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times
Use more than one method combined. These barrier methods have a failure rate.
Nothing is 100%.
I would personally never subject my body to the pill for years.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:54 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,415 times
So you are asking about what is the best long-term birth control?

The best type is the method that you will use most consistently.

Example: The pill has a better than 95% success rate. I would guess that the 5% failure rate is because it was not being used either consistently or correctly. Did you know that taking antibiotics can cause the pill to be less effective? That you have to take it each and every day?

So lets see: condom suck for guys, the rhythm method and pulling out is a gamble at best, and that leaves hormonal birth control or IUDs. Depending on how careful your girlfriend you make your pick. If she can be trusted to remember taking the pill everyday, that is the least invasive. If not, maybe the IUD is the best bet (set it and forget it).

Old 03-15-2010, 08:54 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Give me a break...do you still think someday we'll go to the moon as well?
Don't be ignorant! Read a few books on birth control, OP...

I have to laugh.. you men just want 'the women' to deal with 'the pill' because you won't use condoms.
Don't do your lover without a cover, dude.
HIV? Herpes...

Ever hear of these? Even if the lady says no condom, you can catch LOTS of things...

Old 03-15-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
lol ouch that's what i was considering

Old 03-15-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Give me a break...do you still think someday we'll go to the moon as well?
Don't be ignorant! Read a few books on birth control, OP...

I have to laugh.. you men just want 'the women' to deal with 'the pill' because you won't use condoms.
Don't do your lover without a cover, dude.
HIV? Herpes...

Ever hear of these? Even if the lady says no condom, you can catch LOTS of things...
Both of us are tested and we 110% negative in all STI's . I make sure i don't rush into it until we both good

Old 03-15-2010, 09:07 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
If she can be trusted to remember taking the pill everyday, that is the least invasive.
Screwing around with her hormones is pretty invasive (unless you mean invasive for the guy, in which case, sure.) I can't take the pill because it makes me feel sick. I tried all different kinds with no success.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Screwing around with her hormones is pretty invasive (unless you mean invasive for the guy, in which case, sure.) I can't take the pill because it makes me feel sick. I tried all different kinds with no success.
So how do you apply your contraceptive methods other than hormonal imbalance contraception?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness