Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 04:23 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,599,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Yes disposable, it was the reason USAAF bomber crews had a mission limit. It was like social security was set up to start paying out when most people died.

With so much fire from AAA and fighters going their way some were not coming home to fly another mission and General Arnold had to have replacements heading towards Europe and Japan

Well, if you insist... a few foreign country natives hypothetically killed during railroad/bridge diversion would have been much more written off books, than several flight crews, costing budget pensions down the road. You don't really think, they just sent pilots out into the sky and they vanished? Families draw pensions still.
Also, a few people raid onto strategic transport points would have been much more successful, than covert supply of camp inmates with magic shields to protect them from falling bombs...
I'd rather safely presume that allies didn't really give about what was going on there. World knew very well about camps. red Cross had their commissions inspect them and had its representatives there. World simply didn't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2020, 05:37 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Well, if you insist... a few foreign country natives hypothetically killed during railroad/bridge diversion would have been much more written off books, than several flight crews, costing budget pensions down the road. You don't really think, they just sent pilots out into the sky and they vanished? Families draw pensions still.
Also, a few people raid onto strategic transport points would have been much more successful, than covert supply of camp inmates with magic shields to protect them from falling bombs...
I'd rather safely presume that allies didn't really give about what was going on there. World knew very well about camps. red Cross had their commissions inspect them and had its representatives there. World simply didn't care.
I think that James Bond wrote his own reports, in English, and that foriegn leaders didn't commit troops because a radio team said to do it.

Old 01-21-2020, 06:38 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
We should have bombed the tracks. Done well, meaning over a long distance with many bombs hitting it, it would have taken a long time to fix. For one thing, grading many sections of track would have made repairs a lengthy endeavor. Plus, it would not have been hard to hit many such tracks to many camps during the course of hitting nearby targets.
Experience shows otherwise. Transportation systems were a high-value target, yet strategic bombing failed to put railroads out of commission for long. When your CEP is measured in thousands of feet, a railroad line is a seriously difficult target. Rail yards, on the other hand, were bombed extensively - but again, failed to be put out of commission for long.

As is always the case, there were more requests for missions han crews and bombers to carry them out. It's arguable that some missions turned out to be pointless - there were numerous missions flown to stop ball-bearing production, and that plan flat out didn't work - but the decision was not a malicious one.

Old 01-21-2020, 07:18 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "open borders", as that has nothing to do with immigration or refugee policy. No one back then, or now, is advocating for "open borders". Obviously the Jewish refugees couldn't just enter the country absent paperwork.

And yes, if we didn't have a hardcore nativist element in the 1930's, we could have easily avoided the Holocaust.
Maybe a poor choice of words but my point is the same - even if the US had taken in every refugee that knocked at her doors, the Holocaust would still have happened, though perhaps with somewhat diminished numbers. Not everyone who wound up in the camps would have had the means to get themselves to America. I'm not seeing how the Holocaust could have been easily avoided based on any action America took.

Old 01-21-2020, 09:03 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,223,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Six million Jews died in the Holocaust. Five million others perished under the Nazi regime. When facing such an abhorrent figure historians have long argued– could we have done more? Should we have done more?

https://www.historynet.com/should-th...al-history.htm
I was able to find all but one of the death camps named. They were all in southern or eastern Poland. I think that the first problem was range. The second is bombing from altitude. Do you hit the people that you are trying to save. The third but not least is that you would need to fly over all of Germany to reach your targets. Based on distance alone, I would say that the death camps were an impractical target.

We had our hands full with the Germans. They could still mount an offensive in December of 1944. We were also lucky that the German high command was afraid to wake up Hitler on D-Day to move the Panzers from Calais to Normandy.

Destroying the German war machine was the most effective way to defeat our most formidable enemy.

Old 01-21-2020, 09:57 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
The Holocaust was a disaster waiting to happen. Jews have been persecuted since Roman times. Throughout Europe, there has always been a Jewish phobia. Hitler may have taken it to the nest level, but the writing was on the wall a long time ago. Tzarist Russia was quite harsh towards Jews. The Protocols of The Elders of Zion was first published there, and was even used to blame them for Russia’s 1905 revolution along with its defeat in the Russo-Japanese war. That’s just one example, there are plenty of others.

The US itself had some staunch anti-semites like Henry Ford, who openly published those texts in the newspaper that he owned.

You are probably right.
When you watch the whole ordeal, a disaster that was unfolding step by step in a "slow mo," - it looks like it was something ominous and unavoidable.

November 2nd to November 29, Twenty-eight stepping stones to partition

But that's what ultimately led to creation ( or rather the revival) of the Jewish state.
Precisely according to the Bible's prophesy.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:55 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Maybe a poor choice of words but my point is the same - even if the US had taken in every refugee that knocked at her doors, the Holocaust would still have happened, though perhaps with somewhat diminished numbers. Not everyone who wound up in the camps would have had the means to get themselves to America. I'm not seeing how the Holocaust could have been easily avoided based on any action America took.
The majority of the victims weren't German or Austrian, in the first place. Would have been hard for a Polish Jew to predict that the Wehrmacht would steamroll their country a few years in the future.

Old 01-22-2020, 01:14 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post

The US itself had some staunch anti-semites like Henry Ford, who openly published those texts in the newspaper that he owned.
I read a biography of Henry Ford, published in 1922, that had a preface with wording that specifically mentioned Jews. No other ethnic groups were mentioned. Jews must have been on the minds of many back then.

Old 01-23-2020, 01:34 PM

I know many of you understand Russian or, can find someone to translate.
Here's Yakov Kedmi. He was head of Israeli intelligence, I believe.
Go to min 8 in the vid, if you were curious about why camp was not bombed. Or, even better, listen to entire speech.

Eye opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XskLOGx4clc

Old 01-23-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I think that James Bond wrote his own reports, in English, and that foriegn leaders didn't commit troops because a radio team said to do it.

You are correct. HQ then were not communicating via radio. They sent doves and ravens with messages.

You do understand that, if AK was hand handled by Brits, then it had supplies, finances and, future security/government positions/feeding grounds, ensured by them? You then should understand that, in case British HQ commands a native troop in Poland to do a diversion, and they do not obey, all that windfall suddenly stops and Wermacht/Gestapo/Shutzpolizei suddenly get a word saying where exactly that troop is located?

Except that AK mission, unlike Armia Liudova, was to fight against Soviet troops, not to protect Jews. Or, even fight against Germans, what they, AK, never really did.

Spare me please fictional characters remarks. That's irrelevant and shows you do not have anything to bring to argument and only argue to post count and sound knowledgeable. Just like ISIS was US creation, so was Armia Krajova - British creation. They did what Brits told them to. Period, end of sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History