Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2022, 12:16 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Well, I'm seventy-five and I knew that many Jews had died from gunshots. We're getting farther away from WWII. But there is a plethora of material for those who have an interest.

I too, have wondered about the suppression of the Japanese atrocities. I never understood my mother's fear and resentment of Japanese people until I read more complete histories of WWII Pacific Theater. We lost family there.

And I'm even more disturbed by the extensive genocidal violence practiced by another major religion all around the world at present. We read isolated incidents of what appears more like a mission.

The slaughter of the Boers? Crickets.

I'm also keenly aware that the USA's record in this area is more than questionable through acts of our CIA and some troops.

How does that happen? Who has the power to prevent people from speaking their truths and why? And to discourage others from taking an avid interest in finding them?
All one would have to do is read Elie Weisel's Night, which I think should be required reading for everyone, but that's just my opinion. There is so much in that short little book, but the stories of the Nazi soldiers throwing Jewish babies in the air and shooting them will stay with you for sure, unless you are not human.

Old 09-23-2022, 12:19 PM

45,425 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Back to the OP.

The Holocaust is, in fact, taught in both US History and World History as well as AP European History.

The root of your question goes to how much detail can be included in the first two as they are basically survey courses, especially now that the College Board has decreed that no more than 20% of content is based in Europe for AP World. That curriculum filters down from AP to regular ed World History.

The last US History book I used before I retired in 2015 covered the Japanese incarceration by the US more than the rest of WW II combined, about 1/2 to 2/3 of the unit.

You can blame university academics for that since they're the ones who formulate the recommendations to textbook companies as to what should be included.

To answer a question about the WW II Japanese occupation of China, it is covered in World to a small extent. Some schools will offer a Modern Asia History elective that covers it in more detail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2022, 02:10 PM

16,093 posts, read 10,757,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Thanks. Are the Kashubians related to the Sorbs? Good for them for retaining their language! It's not easy to do. I'll look them up.
Kashubians are West Slavs and considered a sub-group of the Wends (Wends are another term for Sorbs).

Old 09-23-2022, 04:44 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,314,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Nazis. Not all of them were Germans, and many Germans were ignorant of what was going on. While the rest of Europe was learning about the horrors of the camps, here in Germany the people were being fed propaganda.

You may think I am making excuses here, but my Grandfather made the same mistake. His immediate family and the commune they lived in were murdered by a SS patrol. Until his early 20s, he blamed the Germans, and took some revenge when the Germans went to Greece for their holiday. And then he met 2 German Jehovah Witnesses, who explained they had been sent to Switzerland as children, but their parents could not leave Germany, and were finally sent to a concentration camp. Fortunately both parents survived.

This was a Nazi thing, not a German thing, as there were Nazis in other countries as well, including the US. And they still exist today. We have more right wing extremists on our police records than we do religious ones. And we need to remember this to make sure this horror does not happen again.
A large percentage of immigrants to this country are German.

Old 09-23-2022, 05:10 PM

6,811 posts, read 4,250,471 times
I think the details of the Einsatzgruppen actions are kind of seen as a 'minor detail' in a lot of broader overviews of the era because they're not that different from the kind of massacres of other ethnic or religious groups that have occurred all over the world all through history.

I think the gas chambers cause more fascination and lasting interest because of the quite mechanical and industrial setup of the whole process. It serves as an example of how modern science, modern technology and modern management approaches can all be used for whatever purpose you want to use them. They're in themselves value-free.

Old 09-23-2022, 05:31 PM

24,590 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Why is it not taught in schools that among the murdered 6 million Jews, 2 million were rounded up and shot in daylight?

It was awful enough with just the number of 6 million. The individual stories or events are too horrific for some to comprehend. As was said at the time -- too unbelievable -- but it all happened and was the end of collective naivety left over from the Edwardian and Victorian eras.

At what age should we teach the most horrific details? We are seeing some of it now in Ukraine.
It was part of required curriculum at grade 7 including movies in Religious Ed which was required for passing to 8th grade.

Old 09-23-2022, 08:06 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,255,902 times
In Europe it is more common to "spread the blame" for the Holocaust beyond the Germans, because people there know their own countries were complicit.

I think it is mostly a North American and less so Anglophone thing to blame only Germans for the Holocaust. We tend to have more simplistic pictures of the world and other people.

Old 09-23-2022, 08:11 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,255,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, I've always been puzzled about that. WHY were they hated, and why was the hate so widespread?

Then I remembered it had something to do with the Bible, Christianity, Jesus. They were blamed for Jesus' death, even though it was the Romans who were out to get charismatic leaders like him, whom they viewed as a challenge to their authority.

So strange. And the Church fed the hatred, from what I understand.

It's horrible what humans have done in the name of religion. All most religion seems to do, is divide humanity further, and serve as an excuse for hatred.
I think the blood libel as an explanation for medieval antisemitism is much more powerful than it is as an explanation for modern antisemitism. It was the case that the blood libel crystalized antisemitism early on in European cultures, and then it took on a life of its own. However by the time of the 20th century the claims of deicide had very little purchase. Did the Nazis even mention them?

Religion is definitely an excuse for hatred, but I don't think it's the prime motivation in the Holocaust.

Old 09-23-2022, 08:13 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,289,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Well, I'm seventy-five and I knew that many Jews had died from gunshots. We're getting farther away from WWII. But there is a plethora of material for those who have an interest.

I too, have wondered about the suppression of the Japanese atrocities. I never understood my mother's fear and resentment of Japanese people until I read more complete histories of WWII Pacific Theater. We lost family there.

And I'm even more disturbed by the extensive genocidal violence practiced by another major religion all around the world at present. We read isolated incidents of what appears more like a mission.

The slaughter of the Boers? Crickets.

I'm also keenly aware that the USA's record in this area is more than questionable through acts of our CIA and some troops.

How does that happen? Who has the power to prevent people from speaking their truths and why? And to discourage others from taking an avid interest in finding them?
We did not seriously pursue war crimes trials against the Japanese because the US government decided that Japan needed to be rebuilt quickly and used as an ally against the Russian sphere of influence in the East. German rocket scientists were brought to the US, and Japanese war crimes were, for the most part, ignored or not pursued.

Old 09-23-2022, 08:16 PM

16,093 posts, read 10,757,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
It was part of required curriculum at grade 7 including movies in Religious Ed which was required for passing to 8th grade.
I think that is about right but I'm a little foggy about when I first encountered it in class. I think younger kids knew about it in the 1950s when I was in grade school because it wasn't very far in the past. I hit it in later survey classes. My later history focus was in a different direction, different genocides, and other religious abuses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History