Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2022, 10:34 AM

408 posts, read 290,809 times

Advertisements

The average person thinks oh there was a gas chamber and they gassed in what was a shower and it was bad Hitler was evil totalitarian he was psycho That’s all true but they narrowly wrap that up as Holocaust and it stops there.

A lot of ignored chapters and misinformation …

First off …, the shootings of Jews in Ukraine and Lithuania were done by local nationalists who used propaganda that all Jews were responsible for Soviet policies. Babi Yar and Riga massacres and Vilnius ones preceded Pearl Harbor and the Wannsee conference and the reason they Nazis even searched for gas methods of genocide was to keep the events of murder more contained so more could die faster without disruption from collaborators chickening out over the smell and intimacy of dead people because unlike Babi Yar, not every city and town has a forest with a ravine to throw 33,000 corpses at a time

The killing squads in Ukraine and Latvia and Lithuania were all from volunteers of local willing participants with or without Hitler

The Romania Antonescu willingly murdered Jews and hanged them like meat packs in a market …. Hundreds of thousands of them

Polish locals rounded up all the Jews in their town and burned them
Alive in a barn

A Jewish shop keeper in L’vov my grandma knew, kind man, was forced head down in a toilet and the toilet was flushed in his face with feces in it till he drowned

Switzerland angrily reached out to Hitler on own that they are frustrated that Jews are refugee status trying to get into Switzerland can they like stamp J on their visas so they know who not to take?

In Poland AFTER Hitler was dead, the Kielce Pogrom involved 40 Jews shot dead in a building , tortured even by the police who were called for help and they were relieved when after a delayed showing up, security came to help … but they came to kill more of the Jews not to help

Jews were hated beyond Hitler, hated for existing, hated blindly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2022, 10:00 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Yes, I worked with a guy who was a child in Poland when the Nazis came to town early one morning, rounded up the town's Jews, marched them to the end of his road, and shot them all. He was a kid who was curious from the noise he heard in the street and went outside to see what was going on. Most of the victims were in their nightgowns and pajamas. He said after they were shot, one dying woman raised her arm and was waving it back and forth until finally it dropped. He said he could never forget that for some reason, that woman waving her arm back and forth as she lay dying.

Old 09-22-2022, 11:31 AM

8,480 posts, read 6,882,429 times
The prejudice against Jews in Europe goes back hundreds of years before Hitler and the Nazis. There were random spontaneous murders throughout history. What the Germans did was use modern media propaganda to stir up hatred among various group who were not necessarily card carrying Nazis.

And the Germans turned the slaughter of innocent Jews into a 20th century killing machine on an industrial scale. Carefully timed railroad transportation to the death camps and assembly lines to the gas chambers. Even today today there are monsters out there who would willingly kill thousands simply because they are different.

Old 09-22-2022, 11:36 AM

16,075 posts, read 10,735,467 times
Why is it not taught in schools that among the murdered 6 million Jews, 2 million were rounded up and shot in daylight?

It was awful enough with just the number of 6 million. The individual stories or events are too horrific for some to comprehend. As was said at the time -- too unbelievable -- but it all happened and was the end of collective naivety left over from the Edwardian and Victorian eras.

At what age should we teach the most horrific details? We are seeing some of it now in Ukraine.

Old 09-22-2022, 12:13 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesponge View Post
T
OP, I've always been puzzled about that. WHY were they hated, and why was the hate so widespread?

Then I remembered it had something to do with the Bible, Christianity, Jesus. They were blamed for Jesus' death, even though it was the Romans who were out to get charismatic leaders like him, whom they viewed as a challenge to their authority.

So strange. And the Church fed the hatred, from what I understand.

It's horrible what humans have done in the name of religion. All most religion seems to do, is divide humanity further, and serve as an excuse for hatred.

Old 09-22-2022, 12:26 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,446,284 times
Still to this day.. I'm learning facts of countries that collectively aided in the inhumanity delved out to faith groups.
In 11th grade when our teacher did a deep dive into Germany ..we barely touched the surface of different regions that were annihilated and it's citizens captured/ killed.
Thank you Thread starter . You opened another avenue to which awareness and learning still need to be researched.

I read a book that dealt with one family in Paris during WW2. . It was written by the granddaughter of a camp survivor. ( Clearly a grandparent that survived) . Just reading that was wrought with desparate manueveres. Imagine the millions of families that didn't get to tell the tale.
Bones don't lie...

Old 09-22-2022, 12:32 PM

17,613 posts, read 17,642,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Still to this day.. I'm learning facts of countries that collectively aided in the inhumanity delved out to faith groups.
In 11th grade when our teacher did a deep dive into Germany ..we barely touched the surface of different regions that were annihilated and it's citizens captured/ killed.
Thank you Thread starter . You opened another avenue to which awareness and learning still need to be researched.

I read a book that dealt with one family in Paris during WW2. . It was written by the granddaughter of a camp survivor. ( Clearly a grandparent that survived) . Just reading that was wrought with desparate manueveres. Imagine the millions of families that didn't get to tell the tale.
Bones don't lie...
What surprises me is what we ARE NOT taught about what Japan did during this time. Some of what they did is just as bad, if not worse, than what the Nazis did. Medical experimentation on Chinese and POWs, mass rape and murder, some Japanese troops using POWs as livestock for meat, using POWs to practice beheading with their swords, and rounding up women from across Asia/Pacific for forced prostitution for the Japanese troops. Look up the Kanto Earthquake which was followed by the Kanto Massacre of anyone they believed were Koreans.

Old 09-22-2022, 01:03 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
The territory called "Eastern Prussia" was originally inhabited by a group of Baltic tribes.The Balts and Estonians were the last pagan hold-outs in Europe. After numerous failed attempts to convert the (Balt-) Prussians, "indigenous" Prussians as some refer to them today, the Pope had finally had enough, and called for an invasion and forced Christianization. The Teutonic Knights rode in, and the result was horrific. Those who could flee ran to Poland en masse, or east to their Baltic cousins, or even as far as Russia. They just kept going until they could get as far away as possible.

Those who couldn't get away were enslaved, and/or starved, and died of starvation-related diseases: TB, smallpox. (Does dismissing genocide as the result of vulnerability to disease sound familiar?) A few survived by assimilating to German, Germanizing their names, and collaborating with the invaders. They were rewarded, and prospered. The language was outlawed, and in Poland as well. The last speakers of the language, a more ancient form of the Baltic languages than Latvian and Lithuanian, died out in the 18th Century or early 19th.

The Lithuanian king was so horrified, watching was was transpiring next door, that he faked Christianity to save his people. It worked. Then about 40 years later, when Lithuania gained strength and became a regional empire, they ran the Teutonic Knights out. The Knights had set up forts all along the Baltic coast, to "supervise" the Christianization of the area. After running them out, Lithuania reverted back to their own spiritual traditions.

This was a hidden history until after the USSR crashed, and researchers in Poland and Lithuania dug it up, and eventually put the information on the internet. I can't help wonder how many other peoples in Europe befell a somewhat similar fate. I'm glad you brought up the issue of regions and peoples that were annihilated. If you know of any others specifically, I'd be interested. Undoubtedly there are descendants of those peoples, who don't even know they're not German originally, or not French, or whatever.

Old 09-22-2022, 01:55 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,408,910 times
Well, I'm seventy-five and I knew that many Jews had died from gunshots. We're getting farther away from WWII. But there is a plethora of material for those who have an interest.

I too, have wondered about the suppression of the Japanese atrocities. I never understood my mother's fear and resentment of Japanese people until I read more complete histories of WWII Pacific Theater. We lost family there.

And I'm even more disturbed by the extensive genocidal violence practiced by another major religion all around the world at present. We read isolated incidents of what appears more like a mission.

The slaughter of the Boers? Crickets.

I'm also keenly aware that the USA's record in this area is more than questionable through acts of our CIA and some troops.

How does that happen? Who has the power to prevent people from speaking their truths and why? And to discourage others from taking an avid interest in finding them?

Old 09-22-2022, 02:53 PM

629 posts, read 408,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesponge View Post
The average person thinks oh there was a gas chamber and they gassed in what was a shower and it was bad Hitler was evil totalitarian he was psycho That’s all true but they narrowly wrap that up as Holocaust and it stops there.

I believe the most honest answer to your question is that the person telling the story, controls the narrative. And to the official sources, (the ones publishing the text books) the story of "death engineered by mass production" is more sensational, so that is the story that gets told.

One could further rationalize that for general curriculum, the story told is sufficient for general information purposes, and leave the more detailed accounts up to specialization... for "history majors" and the like.

As an abstract parallel, basic science classes might teach principles of flight in terms of the Bernoulli principal and aerofoil basics, but leave heat treating of jet engine turbine rotors for advanced classes, to be taken by dedicated majors.

Based upon the tone of your post, I suspect that explanation isn't what you were hoping to hear. But personally I believe it to be an apt explanation. Priorities vary between people, and text books necessarily must take account of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History