Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2016, 11:50 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,400 times

Advertisements

My Home Sprucing projects for 2016:

- Replace half bath floor: Done
- Kitchen cabinet refacing: Work starts on Feb 2nd.
- Half bath cabinet refacing: Feb 2nd w/ kitchen work
- Kitchen quartz counters: Slab selected, install scheduled for 02/17
- Half-bath quartz counters: Slab selected, install scheduled for 02/17
- New sinks & faucets both kitchen & half bath (ordered)
- New mirror for the half bath (ordered)
- Built-in microwave above stove (cabinet resizing is part of my kitchen cabinet project)
- Kitchen and hallway flooring to match the flooring in my half bath and entranceway: I have the quote and will schedule the work after the rest of the kitchen work is done.

And that is IT for 2016! After all that I'll need to recover financially and emotionally for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 12:06 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Just bought a house, so my project list is pretty big. But right now, the main focus is to remove the painted over wallpaper and give the house some modern painting touches.

Also, all the of the trim and door/window casings are pine, along with hollow-core pine dorrs from the 70's. Replacing all that with nice white trim and casings and white 6-panel doors.

Finally, my master half bath was painted seafoam green with river rocks as the floor. Needless to say I'm in the middle of redoing that.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:14 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Today we finalized our 10 day river boat cruise for 2017. Now we have to plan the three weeks we are spending in Ireland right after.

We decided to combine them because of money. Viking airfares are low ($400 each from Vegas to Amsterdam), and we will fly from there to Dublin after the cruise, then back to Amsterdam to fly home. Even with the 3 week gap Viking will fly us home for $400. We also combined our 2016 and 2017 vacation monies. No vacation this year.

We are amazed that we are doing this. It's one thing to spend years saying we will do it, and another to actually travel it.

It's over a year away and we are already excited about it. She might get Irish citizenship automatically because of having a grandparent from there. She has to check the genealogy to be certain, but that would be cool if it's true. Not sure if there's an advantage from it, but we'll find out.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
My Home Sprucing projects for 2016:

- Replace half bath floor: Done
- Kitchen cabinet refacing: Work starts on Feb 2nd.
- Half bath cabinet refacing: Feb 2nd w/ kitchen work
- Kitchen quartz counters: Slab selected, install scheduled for 02/17
- Half-bath quartz counters: Slab selected, install scheduled for 02/17
- New sinks & faucets both kitchen & half bath (ordered)
- New mirror for the half bath (ordered)
- Built-in microwave above stove (cabinet resizing is part of my kitchen cabinet project)
- Kitchen and hallway flooring to match the flooring in my half bath and entranceway: I have the quote and will schedule the work after the rest of the kitchen work is done.

And that is IT for 2016! After all that I'll need to recover financially and emotionally for a while.
Patience is key. We did a huge remodel last year. Went well, but mine was a little thin by the time it was finished.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Just bought a house, so my project list is pretty big. But right now, the main focus is to remove the painted over wallpaper and give the house some modern painting touches.

Also, all the of the trim and door/window casings are pine, along with hollow-core pine dorrs from the 70's. Replacing all that with nice white trim and casings and white 6-panel doors.

Finally, my master half bath was painted seafoam green with river rocks as the floor. Needless to say I'm in the middle of redoing that.
Sounds like what we did. Replaced all trim (really short) with 3 1/2" and all doors with 6 panel. Really makes a difference.

Old 01-28-2016, 02:56 AM

2 posts, read 2,127 times
Room furnishing process is hot, looking for the best solution on how to fit everything I need in 12m2 so it looks both smart and stylish. Not sure if it's better to have a wardrobe and mirror in one or get them seperately!

Old 02-14-2016, 10:59 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Just finished this - need a narrow, relatively shallow book shelf here that wouldn't interfere with the front door opening swing very much. Made out of 1/2" iron pipe and old fence boards from a section of the circa-1960 fence in our back yard. Were I doing this again, I'd try harder to scrounge the plumbing fittings, because that is $108 off-the-shelf from Lowe's. The piping was spray-painted with Rustoleum Hammered Black rust inhibitor/primer/paint.

What are you working on now?-bookcase.jpg

Old 02-14-2016, 07:54 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,800,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Just finished this - need a narrow, relatively shallow book shelf here that wouldn't interfere with the front door opening swing very much. Made out of 1/2" iron pipe and old fence boards from a section of the circa-1960 fence in our back yard. Were I doing this again, I'd try harder to scrounge the plumbing fittings, because that is $108 off-the-shelf from Lowe's. The piping was spray-painted with Rustoleum Hammered Black rust inhibitor/primer/paint.

Attachment 165758
That looks pretty nifty. Nice way to make something new out of something old.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:36 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,430,247 times
Our new project home, it needs new flooring throughout and lots and lots of paint. Bathroom is a complete rip out so is the kitchen. We need to get it finished by June as its in a good vacation rental area and it needs to start paying for itself.

Budget is $5K, I'm sure we will go over by a bit but its definitely doable.
Attached Thumbnails
What are you working on now?-kitchen.jpg   What are you working on now?-bathroomandbed1.jpg   What are you working on now?-bedroom2and3.jpg   What are you working on now?-living.jpg  

Old 02-15-2016, 10:01 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,959,181 times
You gotta love crazy colors. When we moved into our current home, the den was painted a bright Kool-Aid red.

This week, I installed a new outlet in the laundry room, installed 3 light fixtures at a relative's house, and built a coffee table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating