Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2017, 05:38 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,700,099 times

Advertisements

The cabinet is finished. Left side for the printer, right side for files
Attached Thumbnails
What are you working on now?-cabinet-1.jpg   What are you working on now?-cabinet-3.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 05:47 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post

Sweet~

Old 02-06-2017, 07:16 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
Quote:
Looks good!

Old 02-06-2017, 07:20 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Jealous

Old 02-06-2017, 10:30 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Those cabinets are gorgeous. They look a heckuva lot better than my old tired built ins in my home office. Now you make me want to rip them out and build new ones.

STOP THE MADNESS.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:40 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Those cabinets are gorgeous. They look a heckuva lot better than my old tired built ins in my home office. Now you make me want to rip them out and build new ones.

STOP THE MADNESS.
LOL, you'll need something new to point yourself at after the bathroom is finished.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:01 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Those are great. Did you build the cabinets yourself?

Old 02-07-2017, 05:17 PM

No, I wish I was that skilled. I found this great local guy and his wife who have done a lot of work for me. Added crown molding and window molding to the bedrooms, and master bath. Painted all the rooms, hung new chandeliers, installed mirrors in my gym, mounted my TVs and lowered the kitchen counter to all one level. They are meticulous, licensed and reliable. An absolute treasure. I've recommended them to others and have created quite a demand for their services. I'm very happy with their work and they are happy with the additional customers. I only hope that they will find time in their schedule for me next winter. I want to add some bookcases to my bedroom.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:08 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
No, I wish I was that skilled. I found this great local guy and his wife who have done a lot of work for me. Added crown molding and window molding to the bedrooms, and master bath. Painted all the rooms, hung new chandeliers, installed mirrors in my gym, mounted my TVs and lowered the kitchen counter to all one level. They are meticulous, licensed and reliable. An absolute treasure. I've recommended them to others and have created quite a demand for their services. I'm very happy with their work and they are happy with the additional customers. I only hope that they will find time in their schedule for me next winter. I want to add some bookcases to my bedroom.
A good contractor/crew is gold!

We've had the same contractor do the following in our house, which we bought at about $80k below market value due to it needing to be updated:

All new flooring everywhere
Some painting in various rooms (some rooms had been recently painted in a neutral color just prior to us buying the house)
Total kitchen remodel
Various electrical projects done inside and out
Outdoor living space and hot tub/fire pit/pergola added

Now they are remodeling the kitchen.

Not only is it the same contractor, it's the same project manager and same couple of crews with the same guys EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Licensed and bonded - that's the only way to go.

I'm so spoiled now! Get this - the project manager/supervisor or the contractor calls me every single evening during a project to discuss what they did that day and what is going to happen the next day. They have finished ON THE DOT every single time. None of this "almost done...now you get to wait three more weeks" stuff. They are ON it.

Do we pay more? Yes. But some of that is because this contractor really doesn't want to use cheapo stuff from Lowes or Home Depot - she prefers, for instance, to install only fixtures that have no plastic parts - so of course we will pay more for those. In our bathroom for instance, we bought Delta fixtures - but they are a higher quality than the Delta stuff you can buy at Lowes.

Then she gets a ten percent discount which she passes on to the customers.

I think her labor costs are reasonable.

She then charges a ten percent contractor's fee on the total project.

But they have all the equipment and they work quickly, so it beats the heck out of trying to learn to lay tile or install counter tops ourselves. And even painting cabinets - wow, that's not an easy project either!

We are in our fifties and we've done our time when it comes to DIY projects! We will still do some things ourselves - for instance, we are slowly updating our fence, which is very long, so we do about 16 feet a month - LOL. I do things like paint accent walls, make curtains, reupholster small chairs, that sort of thing. But big construction type projects? NO MORE.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:17 AM

Kathryn - I absolutely agree. A good contractor can reduce the stress of a remodel by 10,000 percent. I'm willing to pay more if it means quality work and materials. I recommended John and Diane to a neighbor for a paint job and he decided they were too expensive. The guy he hired took over a week to paint one room. He showed up late, left the worksite in a mess, spent most of his time talking on the phone and didn't even do a decent job. He is really regretting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating