Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2017, 03:55 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
The crown molding is up and looks pretty good. I need to do one more coat of paint, but other than that, I'm happy with how this came out. Not too bad for 50 bucks worth of materials.
That looks great! Nice job

Quote:
I've thought about that as well. I do plan on getting rid of the fluorescent light fixture and going with canned lighting. I'll probably add some color changing LEDs back there just to see how it looks. I can then change the color to reflect the season.
Awesome idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 04:11 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
I've thought about that as well. I do plan on getting rid of the fluorescent light fixture and going with canned lighting. I'll probably add some color changing LEDs back there just to see how it looks. I can then change the color to reflect the season.
We have ambient lighting above the cabinets and I love it. Nice, soft glow. You'll love it too I bet!

Old 09-20-2017, 07:06 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
What am I working on now? A kitchen remodel.

When our house was built in 1992 the owners had an L shaped (yes, you read that right) sink in the corner. Half of it stuck out into the peninsula and the other half underneath a cabinet. It was difficult to use and when moving the faucet neck from one side to the other it dumped water onto the countertop and floor subsequently rotting the base cabinet and part of the floor (hardwood and subfloor).

We wanted to move the sink to the peninsula, but the dishwasher was in the way. We couldn't move the dishwasher to the left side of the sink between the sink and cooktop because the trash compactor was in the way. So we decided on a remodel.

To achieve our goal I had to remove all of the lowers from the gas cooktop to the peninsula. Then I had to remove a really odd pony wall. Once the hardwood was up and the cabinets out, I began fixing the floor. Then I relocated the plumbing from the wall to the floor where the new peninsula/bar would go. We bought cabinets to extend the countertop down another 6 feet and my dad is in the process of building a few new doors to match the current raised panel cathedral doors already on the other cabinets. To install the longer cabinets meant that I had to move a doorway down 4 feet, frame in the old door, move the outlets that were displaced from the door move, and install and finish new drywall.

The wife wanted butcherblock countertops, so we bought the raw slabs and I cut and fit them. Then I finished them this weekend with a stain that she chose and three coats of Spar polyurethane. I installed the new deep well oversized single sink and the cooktop on Monday.

She decided on tile flooring, and since you can't install tile over plywood subfloor, that meant installing a hardi backer material. (I am half way through that as of last night) Hopefully I can install tile this weekend.

After that is the backsplash all the way around the kitchen. White/glass subway tiles.

Then comes the paint. She wants to repaint the lower cabinets from the weird (and poorly done) white that the homeowner had it painted to a light gray. Then we will paint all of the walls. Lastly, she wants wide baseboards and new door trim so all of that will get painted and installed last.

I started this project about two months ago. I hope to finish it in the next 2-3 weeks. I was hoping for a break, but now she has ideas to remodel our master bath to remove the small shower and large Jacuzzi tub. She wants the shower to be a closet and the tub to become a two person walk-in shower. Needless to say that I am exhausted and really wish I had never told her that I knew how to do this type of work.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:23 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Interior & exterior painting right now.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:43 PM

125 posts, read 81,200 times
We moved in to this house 3 weeks ago. So far, we have redone a shower, taken down out-dated window treatments, installed a ceiling fan, replaced the light fixture in the entry way and re-keyed the locks. Next up, install new shower doors, build a closet in the office (so it can be used as a bedroom), demo all the tile, tile the bathrooms, remove the carpeting in the living/dining areas, paint the entire interior and install laminate in the majority of the house.

Old 09-21-2017, 04:30 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
Tomorrow and Saturday is my yard sale. All the work I have done for the past month or so. I hope it pays off. I have advertised, the signs are up. I just need to bring all this crap...er...stuff out onto the lawn in the wee hours of the morning tomorrow.

Cat

Old 09-21-2017, 04:59 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
^ ok, good luck !!! and I hope you make a ton of money for sure!!

Old 09-22-2017, 04:27 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Yardsale money is always fun!

Old 09-22-2017, 05:24 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
Exhausting day. What was really interesting was a woman came up to me and asked if I was owner. Of course I told her I was. She told me that she used to live in the house (her family was the one that foreclosed on it). She asked about some of the work that we did. I offered to show her inside. The first thing she remarked about was the fireplace. When we got to the kitchen, she gasped and then asked, "Can I hug you?" Her son was with her and told him to take a pic to show her husband. I also showed her the bathroom that was just done. She wanted to go upstairs but I told her that I wasn't comfortable with that. Her son said to her, "We have intruded too much already." She told us that we did a great job on the house. What I wanted to say to her, "I know"

Cat

Old 09-22-2017, 08:17 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
^, I think you did a nice thing. Everyone would love to see what the home they used to live in looks like, and I agree with your decision to not let her go upstairs.
Kitchen, Living, Dining (public) rooms are enough, no one needs to see your (private) rooms, bedrooms, when you don't know them....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating