Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2015, 07:31 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,589,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
That is looking great, Tek!

Here's what I've been doing - being the lamp fanatic that I am. Here is the before shot and then the after shot. Lamps make a huge difference in my opinion.

Agree~~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 08:54 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
True. And that room proves it. Very nice.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:14 PM

1,192 posts, read 2,482,524 times
I finished my window seat cushion and hung my Plain Jane Valance. I don't think you can tell from the picture, but there is a pleat in the middle. I think I'm going to add some gimp trim to the bottom of the valance if I can find something I like. I had to use a little redneck ingenuity to hang the valance .

I had enough fabric and decided to do a little treatment for the powder room too (it may get some bead trim~bling):

I like the lamps, KA. If you're a lamp fanatic, I guess I'm a window treatment fanatic . I only have three more windows left though.

It's looking great, Tek! That was a good call to add the trim piece to bridge the two piers. It just looks more complete.

Old 07-11-2015, 03:56 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
That is looking great, Tek!

Here's what I've been doing - being the lamp fanatic that I am. Here is the before shot and then the after shot. Lamps make a huge difference in my opinion.
I LOVE orange and blue together. Looks good.

Old 07-11-2015, 03:59 PM

18,383 posts, read 19,015,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I LOVE orange and blue together. Looks good.
KA I thought the lamps really brought something to the room too

gentle I am about to do my whole new living room in blue and orange, never used it before but I love it on paper. we will see.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Wow, Tek, it's coming together pretty quickly. Have you thought about a mirror and some glass shelves between the piers? Just a thought.........whuddoeyeknow.....
Found a picture of the mirrors. Both sides of the doorway where you see the previous owner, above that door all the way across and to the ceiling, and to the right is a mirrored set of shelves. Even the shelves were mirrors.

No thanks.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:29 PM

More pictures in the blog

Teaser

Old 07-11-2015, 06:32 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,759,139 times
O sheet, I forgot about that, sorry Tek! Gah that place looks so much better with you there now. The house must be loving you so much.

KinA the shades so make a difference! I love it!

Penny I am so jealous! I am not that crafty. I looooove roman shades.

You all are going to have to help me decorate. And, yes, Tek, I have a solid wall of mirrors in the damned dining room. And mom thinks they are cool. (hurling sound) Help me.......

ETA Wow Tek, you could have a lot of 'fun' in that shower with those grab bars. (envisions Mrs. Tek running away)

Old 07-11-2015, 07:13 PM

I am glad, very glad that I was not drinking anything when I read your post. I hate having milk or pop coming out my nose.

Oh, she would not run away...

Old 07-13-2015, 03:42 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,354,335 times
Long Post.

Yesterday my father came by because he is handy and strong, sadly traits I have not inherited, to tear out the first set of cabinets on the right hand side of the kitchen. My new refrigerator may or may not be coming this week so I needed those at least out of the way.

So.

1. My dad said the cabinets were probably some of the cheapest he has seen. Ha! I had no idea what the previous owners did or who installed those cabinets (they were old---could have been installed before the building even turned coop) so I didn't know if they would be easy to take out. It wasn't bad. It was more work to load them one by one into a shopping cart (my building has one to borrow downstairs) and bring them into the elevator, downstairs, back up again, etc. Many of the cabinets were not in great shape so it was nice to see them go.

2. What a horror show. If you live in a big building in the city, doesn't matter how nice your building is, you have bugs. What makes it even easier to have bugs is the fact that there are a lot of openings behind everything so they are in the walls of the building and now can crawl into your home. I wanted to puke when I saw all of the dead roaches. Since we've moved in, we've never had a problem with bugs. We've had an occasional bug here or there but otherwise, the cats do a good job of keeping them away. These were dead for I don't know how long and have probably been back there for years. All I have to say is THANKFULLY they were dead when we ripped off the cabinets and not running around. SO MANY THOUGH.

3. Yikes. I don't know what to do with the floor. There are A LOT of layers. I think all the way at the very bottom there seems to be some not-so-hot-looking wood at the base. But then there are a number of layers of linoleum or vinyl. Where the cabinets were, there is only a layer underneath, which makes sense because if they put down a new floor they are not taking the cabinets down every time. I am thinking might have to do the same. The last layer seems like a VERY thick peel and stick vinyl tile. I am impressed with the quality and most people, at first look, think it's real and then have to actually look at it. Any advice? I am thinking of replacing it with something similar but that will go with the new stuff. Keep in mind I am updating the kitchen but this is a starter apartment for me and anyone else after me so we're not talking big bucks here.

Otherwise, I think I might go back to choosing white cabinets. I was thinking of making the floor/backsplash a white/gray thing. Originally, I thought I might to white cabinets/black quartz but now I'm not sure if it will clash so I am thinking maybe white cabinets/gray or gray & white quartz. But then I think it might be too much gray? Can you see I am not good at making decisions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating