Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2015, 07:28 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Orange and blue is my favorite combination.
Same here! Here's what's on my coffee table in my living room. I LOVE IT.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 02-07-2020 at 07:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 11:12 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Orange and blue is my favorite combination.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Same here! Here's what's on my coffee table in my living room. I LOVE IT.
gentle, in my 60's and it is a very first for me. I am really liking it. I had to sort of go with it because I didn't want to do just blue and white. lots of compromise here for all the normal reasons you find on the mainland. but in Hawaii, we have most of what you want...it just is not exactly the right size or color but it is what you wanted......only different!

Kathryn that looks great especially by what you have done on your couch. I took a door front off a skinny, skinny closet and made it into a book shelf/curio place. it should be fun looking for goodies to put in it. would never of thought about a book. it's so very narrow I might be able to do one but will try to find one for sure.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
gentle, in my 60's and it is a very first for me. I am really liking it. I had to sort of go with it because I didn't want to do just blue and white. lots of compromise here for all the normal reasons you find on the mainland. but in Hawaii, we have most of what you want...it just is not exactly the right size or color but it is what you wanted......only different!

Kathryn that looks great especially by what you have done on your couch. I took a door front off a skinny, skinny closet and made it into a book shelf/curio place. it should be fun looking for goodies to put in it. would never of thought about a book. it's so very narrow I might be able to do one but will try to find one for sure.
Thank you!

You will really have to post pictures as you develop this color scheme. It's my favorite. It's such a rich, happy color scheme! I like to throw in rich, bright green into the mix too - I love blue and green together. The orange adds the punch!

Old 08-09-2015, 01:09 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
I am creating a knob hat-rack to follow my stairwell.

Bald guys have lots of hats... and I rotate mine between new, in use[wearing -> washing -> repeat], stored.

I also have a collection of "Big Johnson" Tee shirts (I think they are funny - sue me). But because I don't think they are appropriate for wearing out in public, I am also building tee shirt picture frames for hanging them in my office.
Attached Thumbnails
What are you working on now?-hatrack.jpg  

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 08-09-2015 at 01:19 PM..

Old 08-09-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Thank you!

You will really have to post pictures as you develop this color scheme. It's my favorite. It's such a rich, happy color scheme! I like to throw in rich, bright green into the mix too - I love blue and green together. The orange adds the punch!
we are of a like mind. I had the painter, paint my kitchen backsplash and above the cupboards a nice apple green. I had bought some green pillows to add to my sectional but already having the blue and orange it was too crowded. I do have a ceramic garden stool in green on order I will use as a side table. I was gonna look for an orange throw but now that you mention it, I think I need to make it green. thanks for the reminder.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I am creating a knob hat-rack to follow my stairwell.

Bald guys have lots of hats... and I rotate mine between new, in use[wearing -> washing -> repeat], stored.

I also have a collection of "Big Johnson" Tee shirts (I think they are funny - sue me). But because I don't think they are appropriate for wearing out in public, I am also building tee shirt picture frames for hanging them in my office.
great idea, men have so many hats! I saw a tee shirt display that I thought would work great in a house. the shirts were hung on a pole, the ends of both sides of the pole had chains, then they added the next t shirt on a pole, added more chain and so on. they would tuck the part of the tshirt that didn't have a saying on it behind the one next down the line.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:34 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
Quote:
great idea, men have so many hats! I saw a tee shirt display that I thought would work great in a house. the shirts were hung on a pole, the ends of both sides of the pole had chains, then they added the next t shirt on a pole, added more chain and so on. they would tuck the part of the tshirt that didn't have a saying on it behind the one next down the line.
I think I understand the pole you are describing... But I think it would have limited space.

Instead, I am making glassed - picture frame "display boxes" that are about 15" x 15". The print on the shirt is framed within matting - just like a picture would be matted. In fact, the only difference between my display boxes and a normal picture frame is the slightly deeper depth used to store the unseen section of the shirts. With these kinds of displays, I can use up the ample wall space of my office.

Old 08-09-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I think I understand the pole you are describing... But I think it would have limited space.

Instead, I am making glassed - picture frame "display boxes" that are about 15" x 15". The print on the shirt is framed within matting - just like a picture would be matted. In fact, the only difference between my display boxes and a normal picture frame is the slightly deeper depth used to store the unseen section of the shirts. With these kinds of displays, I can use up the ample wall space of my office.
even better.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
we are of a like mind. I had the painter, paint my kitchen backsplash and above the cupboards a nice apple green. I had bought some green pillows to add to my sectional but already having the blue and orange it was too crowded. I do have a ceramic garden stool in green on order I will use as a side table. I was gonna look for an orange throw but now that you mention it, I think I need to make it green. thanks for the reminder.
You definitely need to post pictures!

Look at these awesome lamps (I have two of them, one on either side of the sofa) - I got the bases from my mother in law - they were some sort of 1980s ginger jar lamps. I found these fabulous orange shades - WOW WOW WOW WOW! THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!!!!

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 02-07-2020 at 07:16 AM..

Old 08-09-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
You definitely need to post pictures!

Look at these awesome lamps (I have two of them, one on either side of the sofa) - I got the bases from my mother in law - they were some sort of 1980s ginger jar lamps. I found these fabulous orange shades - WOW WOW WOW WOW! THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!!!!
I would say wow as well. I love ginger jars always have. my wall art pics should be here I hope in a few more days, once I hang them I will post some pics. would like it to be a bit more together first.

I am waiting on my order from pier one. we don't have big choice at all here on maui. I was so desperate I almost for a few minutes considered getting my sectional from them because I could get it in just a few weeks. but being as I sold furniture here and my old store really is the best quality and price on island I went with them. the sectional was on the way in and came just as we moved in. it wasn't the color I wanted but then now I have this great color scheme so all in all I am very happy with it.

however pier one was the only one with things small enough to fit the rest of what I needed. so I hope in the next week or so my headboard will be here, the cabinet for the tv to sit on and my ceramic garden stools. have another small cute painted cabinet on back order. then the fellas have to move over a tall cabinet I have and I will be just about done. oh and put some hardware on the kitchen cabs. I was gonna replace them but this place really isn't all that grand I figured before I do try painting them first.

I have always loved the Hawaiian quilts and thought this house I will get one for sure. the "real" ones for a king size would be probably 4 grand and up. a decent "sorta" hand made one around 800 to 1400. then I found one on etsy out of the PI for around 400 that I was going to go for. it really was well done, then while walking through our local wallmart I found a machine quilted one for 200 bucks. since I have a hairy black dog I thought this is the best choice. it is the color I wanted a forest deep green but not the pattern. I have to take it to the cleaners to wash, to get the starch out of it.

after I get the headboard in, which is a woven blocked rattan type thing I will hang the tapa cloth I bought behind it. tapa is a bark wood material people pound out to paper thin then paint local designs on it. I will hang it from a curtain rod with clip holders. my tapa my prove to be a bit too small, it is also 20th century so not all that awesome. but with the quilt I will get the look I was going for. I will end up with one long wall and nothing to put on it in the bedroom so maybe another better one later.

the nicer quilts I didn't get
https://www.etsy.com/shop/PalamaImpo...der-item-count

Tapa cloth from images.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...loth&FORM=IGRE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating