Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2015, 07:38 AM

560 posts, read 599,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Unbelievable this is your first DIY........looks so good!!!!!!
I won't lie saying that YouTube and Google have been a tremendous help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 07:42 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,767,554 times
Dude, seriously, quit your day job, you have talent here.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:08 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,996,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitano_ View Post
Cool thread!

I have been working on my kitchen for the past few weeks.

We live in a single family house ranch style and the kitchen was very outdated in my opinion. It has the country style and we are more modern style.

Anyhow, never had any experience with DIY so decided to dive in anyways.

Here are a couple pics.

We are almost done with the kitchen now, just a few minor details and one bigger detail - backsplash.

new doors up:

Still missing and to be done this weekend...

Total cost of the project so far including the dishwasher and new hood? 935 dollars... in the end the whole kitchen should end up being around 2200 USD including appliances... and also new flooring. Without flooring the whole project should be around 1400-1600 dollars which excluding appliances would put it at 600 dollars more or less total

Concrete countertops. Replace the sink faucet. New backsplash. Eventually down the road also replace floor.

For afirst time diy i am damn proud of this project!
Your 'new' kitchen looks great!! Where did you order the new doors from? Good job on the DIY work.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:29 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,601,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitano_ View Post
Cool thread!

I have been working on my kitchen for the past few weeks.

We live in a single family house ranch style and the kitchen was very outdated in my opinion. It has the country style and we are more modern style.

Anyhow, never had any experience with DIY so decided to dive in anyways.

Here are a couple pics.

We are almost done with the kitchen now, just a few minor details and one bigger detail - backsplash.

new doors up:

Still missing and to be done this weekend...

Total cost of the project so far including the dishwasher and new hood? 935 dollars... in the end the whole kitchen should end up being around 2200 USD including appliances... and also new flooring. Without flooring the whole project should be around 1400-1600 dollars which excluding appliances would put it at 600 dollars more or less total

Concrete countertops. Replace the sink faucet. New backsplash. Eventually down the road also replace floor.

For afirst time diy i am damn proud of this project!
Wow! So impressive. Thanks for all those pictures. What a transformation.

I am a fan of a country kitchen. Just not your old one. Smart idea to just add new doors to your existing cabinet boxes. I love shaker doors. I have them on my bathroom cabinetry. Painting the soffit white, along with the white crown molding, makes your cabinet doors look taller. Smart idea when re-using old cabinets.

I like your floors.

Would you consider trying this on your stove top? It says it will brown a little over time around your burners. But maybe, it will last long enough until your buy a new stove.

Is the fifth picture, aunt Suzie's fruitcake that you found when you cleaned out your cupboards? LOL

Old 04-30-2015, 11:16 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,711,118 times
Looking at that DIY makes me wish I could still do that. Well, I could, but the Mrs. Won't wait a year with the house torn up.

Fantastic job.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
Wow! So impressive. Thanks for all those pictures. What a transformation.

I am a fan of a country kitchen. Just not your old one. Smart idea to just add new doors to your existing cabinet boxes. I love shaker doors. I have them on my bathroom cabinetry. Painting the soffit white, along with the white crown molding, makes your cabinet doors look taller. Smart idea when re-using old cabinets.

I like your floors.

Would you consider trying this on your stove top? It says it will brown a little over time around your burners. But maybe, it will last long enough until your buy a new stove.

Is the fifth picture, aunt Suzie's fruitcake that you found when you cleaned out your cupboards? LOL
Ahahah thanks. It's just a sanding paper that served as a focus point for the camera! Lot of sanding to make that thing smooth!

We added new doors and I also had the idea on the left cabinet boxes, instead of the old 2 door panels which made them huge whenever you opened them they took a radius half the kitchen ... We did a total of extra 4 doors instead. The doors are skinnier and more elegant and as you said it makes them look taller! Along with the crown moulding and the paint color it makes the ceilings look taller - our ceilings are not tall at all around 7'5-7'7.

Also lots of light! The sunlight just enters the window and gets reflected everywhere and fills up the kitchen with light!

I also changed the light bulbs from a soft warm to a white bright. The old ones had a horrible yellow cast to it.

WOWOWOWOWWW!!

What's that product you linked? Yes we want stainless steel! We tried with spray paint on the old range hood just to try it out and it looked bad. We would love to have the range SS too but too much price for just a whim of wanting it SS when this one works impeccably. Have you actually tried the product? Does it work?

As for the floors I hate them! They make the house look cheap. It's vinyl by the way not real tile!

My wife is an Art teacher and she was worried with losing color in the kitchen with all the white.

I told her not to worry that you could make contrast with other stuff such as accessories etc.

We painted the side door in a black magic color which looks neat! I am painting the doors molding also in glossy white.

Now all that is needed is the countertop in concrete and backsplash which will be skinny subway tile with dark grout (again for contrast)

Then on the all to the left which is not seen in these pictures but Ill post them later I am going to do some accent wall either with bricks or old pallets wood slabs with distressed white!

As for the windows I didnt like the country style curtains either... just without those the light difference is huge! We are waiting to go to an IKEA or so to get a japanese style roller or something.

HeadingtoDenver I got the new doors from the Amish. JUust unfinished shaker style doors which I then painted.

I think what took the most time in this kitchen is actually something that is not seen! The inside of the cabinets! I didnt just paint them white. I wanted a smooth almost factory finish! It was a PITA to sand over and over in those places and inbetween each coat of primer and paint. The awkward positions and very tight spots made it very difficult. I think it was worth it though since everything is so smooth that it just looks it came straight out of a factory.

On the main shelves i did coat it with polyurethane for added strength and more smoothness

Old 04-30-2015, 11:29 AM

Wow! You do things right!!

One note of caution about pallets. Be very careful when buying them. They are quite often full of toxic chemicals. You can Google the subject and should get good info.

Here you go. Pallets.

Edit: In this picture there is a band of color still across the top. I like the look, not the color. Have you considered tying in a color that coordinates with a color elsewhere on that area?

Old 04-30-2015, 11:48 AM

hmmm band of color across the top?

I posted the pics chronologically so if you are referring to the sofit above the cabinets in a yellow/tan color then no they are not there anymore.

They were painted the same color as the walls which is a whitish color with tints of light grey but very unnoticeable.

Yes I am aware of the pallet thing regarding chemicals I didnt mean pallets per se, I might just go to lowes and buy some wood and do the look thats what i meant. Just to reach the distressed type of look.

What i am trying to accomplish is either of these looks:

or this one but in a distressed white:

Also spring is here and summer is coming and we'll take the tools outside.

We're going to try to build a fence and a deck.

We want to have a fence like this:

This will definitely be the biggest project ever. Our backyard is about 3000-3500 sq feet.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:32 PM

That fence is beautiful. But. There's always a but.

Do you live in a windy region of the country? I had a slat fence at our previous house and came home from work a number of times to find sections laying on the ground. Iowa has wicked winds during storms. The posts would snap off at the base. That solid wall of wood is going to catch a lot of wind with no relief.

Not wanting to discourage you from building that because it is a gorgeous fence. Just want to pass on something I didn't realize when I had ours put in.

And, yes I was talking about that band of yellow.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 04-30-2015 at 01:32 PM..

Old 04-30-2015, 12:42 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
Nicely done, Lusitano, looks great!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating