Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 10:37 AM

577 posts, read 494,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post
I appreciate it. Since it is a one bathroom home, we are still keeping the tub. We are not shower people, but I couldn't justify removing a tub and only putting a shower in. So I went with as clean-lined and modern of a tub as possible.

I am definitely adding another receptacle to the bathroom. Probably one on each side of the vanity. Currently it had one outlet in a very inconvenient location.
I agree. People taking the only bath tub out of a home are narrowing their field of prospective buyers for their homes future sale. I hope the OP is putting a shower head in also, with new tub.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 02:27 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,831,065 times
I love the way you handled the front entrance with the house numbers. I would be interested in seeing the kitchen. Thanks for sharing!

Old 05-24-2019, 07:32 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
I live in New England and fantasize about heated bathroom floors. Maybe someday.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:51 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
Very sweet house. Love the entry fenestration and horizontal fiber cement panels! Your idea for a simpler porch support is spot on and I’m not mourning the loss of the bathroom finishes, they were nice but not amazing.

The other window(s?) appears to be not original (by the muntins), and of a traditional double hung style with vertically oriented gridding that seems incongruous to the distinctly modern horizontal orientation of the entry windows, door and cladding, similarly as to the vertical cladding on the gable, it’s not bad at all, just not quite right to my eye. I would love to see more pictures, the designer in me sees a handsome house that with a few tweaks could shine even more. Even as I know we all live within our available resources when it comes to renovation, it’s nice to consider a complete long term design

Congratulations on a fine little house.

Old 05-27-2019, 08:08 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,909,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
When we renovated our master bath a few years ago, we debated a heated floor and/or towel warmer as well. We live near Dallas as well, and we decided against both because like you say, there's just not a lot of need for them. We put in a heater like the one you are describing and we love it. And wow, it gets toasty warm in there in just a few minutes. We've only had to turn it on a few times over the past two years - I mean like maybe 3 or 4 times. So I am really glad we decided on that route. And our bathroom is on the north side of the house. I expected to have to use it more often than we actually do.
Glad you have liked the heater for when you need it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
What a great house! I was thinking I didn't really care for that porch pillar and you beat me to it - the one you have the picture of is going to look great! I'm surprised that the prior owner didn't do something more interesting with it when they replaced the entrance.

RE: the bathroom, I can see the arguments about keeping it vintage, but I think it's also ok to update to make it more consistent with the rest of the house.

I hope you'll keep posting more photos as you go through this process!!
Thank you! I am surprised they didn't either, but they did a lot of other stuff. I'm sure it was a case of prioritizing projects vs time and money. I'll definitely post more pictures as we start furnishing the home and finishing the bathroom and the pillar etc. I have a fair amount of vintage modern furniture that ive had for some years now that should fit this home really nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greglovesoldtrucks View Post
I agree. People taking the only bath tub out of a home are narrowing their field of prospective buyers for their homes future sale. I hope the OP is putting a shower head in also, with new tub.
agreed! and i meant to say we aren't *bath people. We pretty much only shower, but we are keeping the tub for resale (though hopefully this is a long term home!), neices & nephews we watch, and a dog in the futre And yes, I am putting in a Brizo shower & tub fixture set to go with our brizo lav faucet:

https://www.build.com/brizo-t60475/s828990?uid=3677592

https://www.build.com/brizo-65035lf/...978638#q-and-a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
I love the way you handled the front entrance with the house numbers. I would be interested in seeing the kitchen. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks! I will post some pictures of the kitchen at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Very sweet house. Love the entry fenestration and horizontal fiber cement panels! Your idea for a simpler porch support is spot on and I’m not mourning the loss of the bathroom finishes, they were nice but not amazing.

The other window(s?) appears to be not original (by the muntins), and of a traditional double hung style with vertically oriented gridding that seems incongruous to the distinctly modern horizontal orientation of the entry windows, door and cladding, similarly as to the vertical cladding on the gable, it’s not bad at all, just not quite right to my eye. I would love to see more pictures, the designer in me sees a handsome house that with a few tweaks could shine even more. Even as I know we all live within our available resources when it comes to renovation, it’s nice to consider a complete long term design

Congratulations on a fine little house.
Thank you. And I completely agree on your points. The operable windows on the front are not my first choice but they are newer and in fine condition so I can't justify replacing them now. I am also big on thinking about the long term design and the siding is something I would love to change from the vertical aluminum there now to something horizontal and more in line with the house.

I also plan to change out the garage door. Right now it's just a standard steel door with no windows or anything. I am planning on changing it out to be an aluminum door window frosted panes The horizontal pattern of that door should mirror the front entry nicely and continue that motif. That's the plan anyway.

But the bathroom, the front entry, and the HVAC are taking priority over the garage door. Maybe next year

Old 06-01-2019, 03:30 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,504,683 times
It's very hard to find similar Dallas houses that flippers haven't ruined. I hope you at least donated that old tile.

Old 06-01-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
It's very hard to find similar Dallas houses that flippers haven't ruined. I hope you at least donated that old tile.
i do hate that so many flippers just ruin houses here. The worst is that they leave in electrical cables past their useful life (very dangerous), rusted out pipes, etc. and just close them back in the walls even when they take the home to the studs. Flippers are kind of a plague around here. Luckily this isnt the type of house most flippers go for. It only has 1 bathroom and is very small square footage wise. This house isn't worth it to most flippers.

Most other people looking at this house when we were bidding on it were looking to tear it down or use the base house and build an expansion on the house for another couple bedrooms and a second bathroom etc.

Regarding the tile, unfortunately there was nothing to really donate. While a nice idea, the demo would have cost me 3x as much if I would have had them take the time to try and carefully remove all the tile and even then a lot of it would be ruined. It's difficult and time consuming to remove that old tile without breaking them due to the way it was installed back then. I saved a few of the tiles myself that weren't broken, just as a keepsake from the house, but that's about it.

Old 06-02-2019, 05:01 AM

I completely understand why the demo/reno of the bathroom had to be. If one wants to stay as close to the original tiles when they replace them, I am sure if enough research is done they could find "close" to the same tiles to install back on a restore. And the same goes for any room/house restoration. But doing so costs extra money and time for the owner(s).

I went back and viewed the first page pics. It is "just my opinion" here, but if it were my home, I would not go with the proposed new post support.

For my two reasons.

1. The upward "spray" of the metal supports are contrary to the beautiful front entry wall's metal vertical/horizonal lines. The proposed post will actually pull ones eye away from the beauty of the front wall. Ones eye when entering the front of the property should be drawn to the entrance doorway ( the reasoning behind today's trend of colorful entry doors being used)

2. I was once a child a LONG time ago. And I recall how kids play. If a kid jumps off of that porch while hanging on to that proposed 3 pronged post, their arm could slide down in it where it will be trapped at the bottom. Worst case scenario= a bone snapped. Best case = a sore arm.

So I made a goofy sketch to show the OP's plan and my opinion. My sketch shows what I like (as if it really matters here ) which is a 4 inch square metal post. A standard in stock product, found at the local metal store. And to me, the square post just becomes part of the front entry wall façade.

All JMO

Last edited by greglovesoldtrucks; 06-02-2019 at 01:17 PM..

Old 06-03-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greglovesoldtrucks View Post
I completely understand why the demo/reno of the bathroom had to be. If one wants to stay as close to the original tiles when they replace them, I am sure if enough research is done they could find "close" to the same tiles to install back on a restore. And the same goes for any room/house restoration. But doing so costs extra money and time for the owner(s).

I went back and viewed the first page pics. It is "just my opinion" here, but if it were my home, I would not go with the proposed new post support.

For my two reasons.

1. The upward "spray" of the metal supports are contrary to the beautiful front entry wall's metal vertical/horizonal lines. The proposed post will actually pull ones eye away from the beauty of the front wall. Ones eye when entering the front of the property should be drawn to the entrance doorway ( the reasoning behind today's trend of colorful entry doors being used)

2. I was once a child a LONG time ago. And I recall how kids play. If a kid jumps off of that porch while hanging on to that proposed 3 pronged post, their arm could slide down in it where it will be trapped at the bottom. Worst case scenario= a bone snapped. Best case = a sore arm.

So I made a goofy sketch to show the OP's plan and my opinion. My sketch shows what I like (as if it really matters here ) which is a 4 inch square metal post. A standard in stock product, found at the local metal store. And to me, the square post just becomes part of the front entry wall façade.

All JMO
I appreciate the input. My friends and I have already started down the road for fab of this pillar.

I understand your input; however, a single wooden or metal post is what a lot of the flips and other renos in this area have done. I agree that it would not look bad at all, but I wanted to do something different than what the other houses are doing in this area. I'll keep you posted on how it turns out.

PS I had thought about removing the vertical post support completely and reinforcing the porch with some steel framing in a way that gave the look an was almost cantilevered look originally. I think that would have been great because it would leave the windows wide open. But that would have been more invasive and expensive.

Last edited by Sunbather; 06-03-2019 at 07:56 AM..

Old 06-03-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post
I appreciate the input. My friends and I have already started down the road for fab of this pillar.

I understand your input; however, a single wooden or metal post is what a lot of the flips and other renos in this area have done. I agree that it would not look bad at all, but I wanted to do something different than what the other houses are doing in this area. I'll keep you posted on how it turns out.

PS I had thought about removing the vertical post support completely and reinforcing the porch with some steel framing in a way that gave the look an was almost cantilevered look originally. I think that would have been great because it would leave the windows wide open. But that would have been more invasive and expensive.

I think your design of porch support will be fine and look good. But if you will have children playing on that porch, I would want to do something to keep their little arms from "possibly" ever getting wedged in that design "flared" support towards the bottom of it, while they run and play as they do .

Then too again at my age, I worry too much and you just need to ignore me totally.

Last edited by greglovesoldtrucks; 06-05-2019 at 07:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating