Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 09:01 AM

4,227 posts, read 6,905,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greglovesoldtrucks View Post
We had to do the same thing because our side by side top loaders would not fit in our 1960 ranch home's utility room. So we bought Samsung FL washer/dryer units and stacked them. And with my wife and both having bad backs it only took a couple of years of digging around low on the floor to load and unload the FL washer, I saw the need for some utility room renovation.

So today after I did some utility room reno work 4 months ago, we now have the stacks sitting side by side with the FL washer up on a stand. We love it up sitting higher off the floor now. But still, we really miss our top loader agitator washer.

And you may find there is a learning curve to using the FL washer vs. a top loader. Like dealing with the FL washer "smell" and being sure to use the "self clean" mode on the washer. Our FL takes 4 hours to self clesn itself, but its the only thing we have found to do, to get rid of the "smell".

And we have found also, that we have to reduce the load amounts of our bath towels. Just to help minimize FL machine vibration, when it goes in to high spin.

I am also now taking my car cleaning microfiber towels to the laundrymat, just to be sure the grit in them does not ruin our new FL washer. Something that I was not concerned about for the 12 years that we had our top loader washer, and it was still going great when we sold it. The pic is of our FL's 3 years ago. JMO
I hear you. The front loaders will definitely be different. We have yet to use them since we are still living in the apartment until this bathroom is finished. We got Samsung as well - I talked to a lot of friends in this area who have had to utilize stackables for small ranches and the people that had Samsungs were consistently happy, so hopefully our experience will be the same. I definitely expect to break more loads up into smaller loads with this machine than with the old standby top loader.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 09:35 AM

Mocking up floor tile layout for the bathroom.

test fitting the vanity and putting up wall board yesterday. Floors getting prepped for tile this morning. Electrical and plumbing roughed in last week. Tub set.

I can tell you it feels WAY bigger than it used to with the massive linen closet that was in this bathroom previously. Removing that was definitely the right decision.

Not much to show so far still and it is a small room and hard to take pictures of, but progress is being made.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:50 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,315,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post
I can tell you it feels WAY bigger than it used to with the massive linen closet that was in this bathroom previously. Removing that was definitely the right decision.

Not much to show so far still and it is a small room and hard to take pictures of, but progress is being made.
What's going to replace the linen closet - meaning, where are you going to put the towels etc.?

I have a similar house and am slowly gathering ideas for making it more comfortable for two somewhat "accumulative" adults to live in without doing a huge add-on or buying a bigger house (I'm not that far from retirement and I am worried about signing up for permanent and always-increasing property taxes).

Old 06-07-2019, 09:54 AM

577 posts, read 493,824 times
Quote:
Mocking up floor tile layout for the bathroom.

test fitting the vanity and putting up wall board yesterday. Floors getting prepped for tile this morning. Electrical and plumbing roughed in last week. Tub set.

Bathroom and choice of tile looks great. Are you going to have some diverse border design/or accent color tiles installed in it ?

Old 06-07-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
What's going to replace the linen closet - meaning, where are you going to put the towels etc.?

I have a similar house and am slowly gathering ideas for making it more comfortable for two somewhat "accumulative" adults to live in without doing a huge add-on or buying a bigger house (I'm not that far from retirement and I am worried about signing up for permanent and always-increasing property taxes).
Ugh, yeah property taxes here. I feel you...

The linen closet is getting 'replaced' by a few things. The previous sink was a pedestal. We are replacing it with a vanity that has 2 deep drawers. Those IKEA vanities have a lot more storage than they appear to (see below from a different install). This is where 'immediate' bathroom storage will be. Hand towels, 1-2 extra big towels beside what we have out, daily bathroom items like makeup, cotton swabs, contact solution etc.

On top of that, we are putting some floating shelves on the wall where the linen closet was, above the tile. Instead of a floor to ceiling 16" deep linen closet, we will have probably 3 floating shelves that will be around 8" deep. Somewhat for aesthetics/personal items and somewhat for storage of smaller bathroom items if we need. Also a ledge for charging a phone/having a bluetooth speaker.

Lastly, in the utility room, there are floor to ceiling cabinets on both sides of the room. This is going to house extra items for us in the house. In addition to some board/table games and other various items, we plan to put sheets, extra towels, extra toilet paper (besides the couple rolls in the actual bathroom at any given time), extra paper towels, etc. in this room.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Bathroom and choice of tile looks great. Are you going to have some diverse border design/or accent color tiles installed in it ?
Thanks

Not in the tile, no. I've always tended to go with very neutral palettes for permanent installed items and then decorate with color. Case in point, the breakfast nook in our studio apartment that we've been living in prior to purchasing this house:

I tend to utilize artwork (a lot of which we make ourselves), plants, bright colored books, decorative objects etc. to bring color into my spaces.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:31 AM

577 posts, read 493,824 times
Quote:
Thanks

Not in the tile, no. I've always tended to go with very neutral palettes for permanent installed items and then decorate with color. Case in point, the breakfast nook in our studio apartment that we've been living in prior to purchasing this house:

I tend to utilize artwork (a lot of which we make ourselves), plants, color books, decorative objects etc. to bring color into my spaces.
Good job. My wife and I have always been called boring " beige" people because we always painted every wall in our home an off white color. Then as you, we chose to put our colors in things that we that could move, change around, or replace. And not have to re-paint bold colored walls or re-floor colored designs in our floors that we tired of looking at daily. And the four homes that we sold the last 23 years while doing so, we got a contract on each one of them within 9 nine days of listing. As I think people I love neutral colored homes, to they can make them designed to their own taste without re-doing the PO's bold colors. JMO

Old 06-10-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Good job. My wife and I have always been called boring " beige" people because we always painted every wall in our home an off white color. Then as you, we chose to put our colors in things that we that could move, change around, or replace. And not have to re-paint bold colored walls or re-floor colored designs in our floors that we tired of looking at daily. And the four homes that we sold the last 23 years while doing so, we got a contract on each one of them within 9 nine days of listing. As I think people I love neutral colored homes, to they can make them designed to their own taste without re-doing the PO's bold colors. JMO
yep. I love color, but I've never painted a wall a solid color and not been tired of it within a year or two. I think it's just so much of one color that does it for me. I've also always been inspired by what I call the 'Museum approach': Clean lined modern architecture with neutral finishes to let the artwork shine. I take that approach with the places I live and usually want the furniture, art, and objects to provide the shape and color in the space.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:02 AM

Good news and bad news on the bathroom this weekend.

Good news: the tile guys got in there early. They weren't supposed to start until Monday (today), but they had another job get delayed due to backordered tile so they came over on Thursday of last week. I went to the house Saturday afternoon when they left to see that all of the wall and the floor tile was DONE. The floor tile looked great.

Bad news: the wall tile was done incorrectly! And we have the shower alcove done floor to ceiling + 42" around the rest of the room. The tile is a flat 4x12 matte white tile. It was supposed to be installed in an aligned/horizontal stack pattern and they instead installed it in the brick pattern. The tile guy didn't ask the GC about the pattern and instead just assumed we were doing the ubiquitous brick pattern. Tile was done and grouted. Now they've got to demo it, re-do the wallboard, and redo all the tile. Luckily the GC was apologetic and said he would order the new material ASAP and make it right. He has been very professional and a good communicator so far, so hopefully that remains the case.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:26 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,306,731 times
Love the house, it's charming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating