Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 10:08 AM

4,233 posts, read 6,911,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greglovesoldtrucks View Post
I think your design of porch support will be fine and look good. But if you will have children playing on that porch, I would want to do something to keep their little arms from "possibly" ever getting wedged in that design "flared" support towards the bottom of it, while they run and play as they do .

Then too again at my age, I worry too much and you just need to ignore me totally.
No worries, I understand being cautious We do not have kids of our own, nor do we intend to have any. We do have a couple of nieces and nephews who will be over occasionally of course, but play will be limited to the fenced backyard. Definitely no swinging or playing on the pole on the front porch. Luckily they are pretty well-behaved for us.

I've been traveling for work the last week (first time in Montreal) but hopefully I'll have some updates to this thread soon regarding the bathroom. maybe even some updates on the fab of our front porch post.

We did finally get our washer and dryer. A little sad to have to sell my old bare-bones side by side set that has worked for 10 years, but the only way we could make it work in this compact house is going with a stackable. So that's what we did. It fits perfectly in the little utility room. That room also has a pocket door that lets you close it off to the kitchen if you want to which is really nice from a space saving standpoint. Both walls on opposite sides of the room are floor to ceiling cabinets as well which provide a lot of storage.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 10:42 AM

3,206 posts, read 2,487,755 times
I like the original support better.

Old 06-06-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
it's just not my style at all and it seems in juxtaposition to the current facade of the house. We are not completely trashing it though - we are planning to give it to a friend for them to use as a landscaping piece for vines/florals to grown on. So I am glad it will not just be getting thrown out and that we found a home for it.

Old 06-06-2019, 05:38 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
The original support did not suit that style of house at all. The new one is much more in line with the mid-century vibe.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:12 PM

577 posts, read 494,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
The original support did not suit that style of house at all. The new one is much more in line with the mid-century vibe.

I agree. ^^^ The one the OP is getting made is growing on me. Although at first, I had my reservations about it as its angles opposed the front entry wall metal work, with its existing horizonal and vertical lines. But I think the OP's new support post will look nice. I drew something like it in the sketch below to get a idea of how it will look.

Last edited by greglovesoldtrucks; 06-07-2019 at 10:05 PM..

Old 06-06-2019, 06:16 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post
it's just not my style at all and it seems in juxtaposition to the current facade of the house. We are not completely trashing it though - we are planning to give it to a friend for them to use as a landscaping piece for vines/florals to grown on. So I am glad it will not just be getting thrown out and that we found a home for it.
Oh, that's great! I think it's a pretty piece, but I agree 100% it doesn't go with the current facade. I'm so glad it will have a nice life as a landscaping piece!

Old 06-06-2019, 08:25 PM

3,206 posts, read 2,487,755 times
Quote:
Well, then, you are excused. Nifty idea for a vine trellis.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:53 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,332,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post

Thing is, the house is not a modern style, it's a Minimal Traditional (and definitely not a bungalow, sorry OP). You can see the paint lines from where the decorative shutters were removed from the big front window. The addition of the glass at the front was done to push its appearance toward "light modern" and once that was done the wrought iron porch support doesn't match that one section of glass wall. But it matches exactly the original style of the house which is the style of all the rest of it.

People have been modifying MTs to try to look like other styles at least since the 1960s. Most of the time, because the MT is a fairly simple style, it can look reasonably good if done with a light hand, and that's what's been done here.

These are great houses and it's a shame that great swathes of them are falling to the tear-down-McMansion craze.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Thing is, the house is not a modern style, it's a Minimal Traditional (and definitely not a bungalow, sorry OP). You can see the paint lines from where the decorative shutters were removed from the big front window. The addition of the glass at the front was done to push its appearance toward "light modern" and once that was done the wrought iron porch support doesn't match that one section of glass wall. But it matches exactly the original style of the house which is the style of all the rest of it.

People have been modifying MTs to try to look like other styles at least since the 1960s. Most of the time, because the MT is a fairly simple style, it can look reasonably good if done with a light hand, and that's what's been done here.

These are great houses and it's a shame that great swathes of them are falling to the tear-down-McMansion craze.
You are correct that it is not actually a bungalow from a classical/technical architecture standpoint - I was using the term as it's used more colloquially for a one story SFH (especially one with the layout ours has with garage/kitchen/living area on one side and all bedrooms/bathrooms on the other).

But I agree. The wrought iron post matched the original style before the previous architect made modifications and it just doesn't match with the house now. And you are correct that these homes are very commonly modified because they are very simple and rather vanilla styles which lend themselves well to updates without invasive changes. I also completely agree that they are solid houses and I hate to see so many of them torn down. I was very glad that they accepted our bid over others who wanted to tear it down or immediately add a second story etc.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:21 AM

577 posts, read 494,945 times
Quote:

We did finally get our washer and dryer. A little sad to have to sell my old bare-bones side by side set that has worked for 10 years, but the only way we could make it work in this compact house is going with a stackable. So that's what we did. It fits perfectly in the little utility room. That room also has a pocket door that lets you close it off to the kitchen if you want to which is really nice from a space saving standpoint. Both walls on opposite sides of the room are floor to ceiling cabinets as well which provide a lot of storage.
We had to do the same thing because our side by side top loaders would not fit in our 1960 ranch home's utility room. So we bought Samsung FL washer/dryer units and stacked them. And with my wife and both having bad backs it only took a couple of years of digging around low on the floor to load and unload the FL washer, I saw the need for some utility room renovation.

So today after I did some utility room reno work 4 months ago, we now have the stacks sitting side by side with the FL washer up on a stand. We love it up sitting higher off the floor now. But still, we really miss our top loader agitator washer.

And you may find there is a learning curve to using the FL washer vs. a top loader. Like dealing with the FL washer "smell" and being sure to use the "self clean" mode on the washer. Our FL takes 4 hours to self clesn itself, but its the only thing we have found to do, to get rid of the "smell".

And we have found also, that we have to reduce the load amounts of our bath towels. Just to help minimize FL machine vibration, when it goes in to high spin.

I am also now taking my car cleaning microfiber towels to the laundrymat, just to be sure the grit in them does not ruin our new FL washer. Something that I was not concerned about for the 12 years that we had our top loader washer, and it was still going great when we sold it. The pic is of our FL's 3 years ago. JMO

Last edited by greglovesoldtrucks; 06-07-2019 at 10:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating