Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 08:55 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillygirl123 View Post
Like this color I have attached ? I had painted the sideboard from black so I can repaint if needed. I can’t get rid of mirror so would need to try and match that too. Yea I am trying to decorate the top and am completely clueless. Was trying to do 3 on each side and then bridge it with the gold tray. Clearly not working lol.
That gray would look good. It’s soft and would pick up the other various grays in the room. I also like the gray on your coffee table legs. Are you open to changing the color on your end table, it’s nice on its own but doesn’t really go with anything.

Painting your mirror black would make it look a little more formal and it would blend with whatever gray you choose. Try doing a group of three or five on top of the buffet, it’s small and looks cluttered. You’re right, the gold tray doesn’t work.

Ok, took another look at the top, how about leaving the two taller pieces on the ends and getting a wicker, or wood tray to put the smaller pieces on in the center? Your tray idea was good, just not that one, it should be larger.

Last edited by Taz22; 01-17-2021 at 09:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2021, 09:12 AM

670 posts, read 480,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
That gray would look good. It’s soft and would pick up the other various grays in the room. I also like the gray on your coffee table legs. Are you open to changing the color on your end table, it’s nice on its own but doesn’t really go with anything.

Painting your mirror black would make it look a little more formal and it would blend with whatever gray you choose. Try doing a group of three or five on top of the buffet, it’s small and looks cluttered. You’re right, the gold tray doesn’t work.
Yes I’m open to painting end table too. Maybe a dark gray to match table legs and then light gray for sideboard? I just got the mirror though

Old 01-17-2021, 09:19 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,928 times
Quote:
Yes I’m open to painting end table too. Maybe a dark gray to match table legs and then light gray for sideboard? I just got the mirror though
Yes, a variety of grays will work. I like your mirror, and a gray sideboard will help it blend in better than the color you have now.

One thing to remember is when choosing gray, don’t go too light or it won’t look much different than what you have now. Stick to medium to darker shades and do a test first, some grays can end up looking blue.

Last edited by Taz22; 01-17-2021 at 09:49 AM..

Old 01-17-2021, 11:19 AM

3,375 posts, read 1,970,783 times
Quote:
This is a rowhome with minimal storage yes. I do need something at the front because I don’t have any closest on that floor. Can probably eliminate some of the jackets. They seem to just pile on but could move some upstairs.

I will try the rug without jute and see if that helps ! Thanks!

I would do just the opposite - remove the patterned rug and keep the jute The jute, being solid, gives the appearance of more space which is needed in the area. It also brightens up the area.

Also, I completely understand the convenience of having a place to hang up your jackets right by the door. I've been there which young kids and getting in and out of the house is a major accomplishment. Take things one at a time. You'll get there.

Old 01-17-2021, 11:56 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Can a shallow cabinet replace the open coat/shoe rack?

Old 01-17-2021, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Can a shallow cabinet replace the open coat/shoe rack?
One of my friends was actually going to give me this rack that’s like an open closet but I felt it was too big a piece of furniture. Figured the bench would be good to store shoes under and then I have the rack. Currently I also have my giant diaper bag there so I think it’s looking more messy right now.

Old 01-17-2021, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I understand that you what a room with a nice cohesive look and are seeking opinions. That said, was do YOU think. Is it pleasing to YOUR eye as it is? Please, please do yourself a favor. Find peace with what you think looks nice because people coming to visit are not going to visit your home they are coming to visit you.

Years ago, I won't go into the details again, but my DH saw how twisted I was deciding on coordinating fabric for a couch and wing chair and finally said, "Last I checked the interior decorating police are not visiting our neighborhood, if you love it, it is good enough for me, you need to be happy." That was the best advice I ever was given by him.

Here is a simple thing to do. Strip the room of all accessories and take a picture. Then add a few pieces and take another picture. Keep adding and then subtracting til you get the accessories to your liking.

I see a baby chair, so make you house comfortable for like with a little on and as time goes on you can change things out to what YOU love.
I agree ! Funny thing is I was actually happy with the rug and how it turned out but was getting negative feedback on another site so I started getting frustrated. I know I don’t have the eye so I guess don’t want people to come in my place and be like “what was she thinking !” I have put so much money and effort in to redoing that I want to at least look nice for guests. Doesn’t have to be perfect. So yea I was wondering if the interior decorator feedback I was getting was more to their standard or does it look completely out of whack ?

Old 01-17-2021, 02:08 PM

3,375 posts, read 1,970,783 times
You're doing great OP - don't feel bad about not having a knack for this kind of stuff. Some people are just naturally inclined to math; others to music or art. Some have worked in the interior design field (and have book knowledge and experience) while others just naturally have that decorating touch. It sounds like you're making real progress in finding out what is pleasing to you and what actually "works" for you at this time in your life.

I had many clients who didn't know what they wanted - it's not uncommon. With a little one in your life there are very real practical matters (like toy control : ) that you're tackling too. Your colors are soft and pleasing and very well suited for the space. That's a big step right there. You might have mentioned this before but how did you get the big entertainment center removed? Did a non-profit pick it up or did you sell it?

Old 01-17-2021, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
You're doing great OP - don't feel bad about not having a knack for this kind of stuff. Some people are just naturally inclined to math; others to music or art. Some have worked in the interior design field (and have book knowledge and experience) while others just naturally have that decorating touch. It sounds like you're making real progress in finding out what is pleasing to you and what actually "works" for you at this time in your life.

I had many clients who didn't know what they wanted - it's not uncommon. With a little one in your life there are very real practical matters (like toy control : ) that you're tackling too. Your colors are soft and pleasing and very well suited for the space. That's a big step right there. You might have mentioned this before but how did you get the big entertainment center removed? Did a non-profit pick it up or did you sell it?
Thanks for the motivation haha ! Was thinking the same thing. I am a numbers person but have no artistic ability whatsoever.

Ended up lowering it significantly and sold it! Didn’t make much but it was pretty dated. Do miss that fireplace though.

Old 01-17-2021, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Good choice on the neutral colors, cream, brown, gray. You might want to think about the sideboard across from the table. The light color next to a dark woods kitchen and across from a dark table doesn’t really go. The brown mirror doesn’t go with the light color either. It’s more rustic than the sideboard. It’s also too busy on top. Looks like you have a bunch of vases and things, all competing. A darker color for the sideboard and less on top would help it blend with the room.

I took another look at your room, a soft weathered gray would look good for your sideboard and help the minor fit in better too. You could do the same color for the white end table. It’s a small space and there are too many conflicting colors.
Does this look better with less clutter ? Tried rearranging all the objects multiple
Times haa. Was hoping to keep the burlap books but I guess too much.
Attached Thumbnails
Decorating a narrow dark living room-01c99d26-6775-4a30-a541-cbcdcfa2612d.jpeg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating