Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 07:04 AM

670 posts, read 481,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
I went back to look at the original photos you posted and the window treatments you have now are so much better. The pillow colors are better too even though I think there are still too many, and the wall color is much better too.

I think the rug is too busy for a small area. I would have gone with a solid color with maybe some trim around the edges. You used to have a black end table instead of the distressed white one and I think the black one would be a better choice for the direction you're going in the room.

I've made this comment before but I'll make it again - I think there are too many decorative pieces around the house such as candles, vases, etc. Less is so much more when you have a small area to decorate and the pieces that you choose will stand out instead of getting lost.
Ok thank you. I originally just had the ivory jute rug and felt it was lacking something. See attached.

Yea eliminating the decor on shelves is on the list today. Also I am trying to decorate the sideboard and not sure what I am doing wrong. Doesn’t seem to flow. I had added a gold tray in the center to bridge the ends but not sure if that’s also throwing it off ? Any suggestions ? Decorating a narrow dark living room-a1a63647-cad7-4956-a654-ab616fa90690.jpeg
Attached Thumbnails
Decorating a narrow dark living room-23e1a810-4994-4281-9a09-54f224668c38.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2021, 07:09 AM

61,735 posts, read 87,172,581 times
I think the wall color is fine and the rug is fine too. Subtle colors - nothing loud. Maybe you just need 1-2 colorful pillows and a colorful throw? Too much gray/beiges in that room. Even your accents are gray/beige/off-white too.
You need a little bit color there. And maybe a plant.

But I do have problem with the many different wood colors in that small space. There is dining set in two colors, but they match the table by the sofa, and sorta match kitchen cabinets - so it's ok.
But the white end table should be placed somewhere else. Or perhaps painted brown (no, not black, but color matching the dining set) or grouped with the other white cabinet, on another side of it.
Or maybe we need another view of the space?

OP, can you step on a stool and take couple of picture from the opposite ends of your place? One from the door facing the kitchen, and another from kitchen facing the entry door? I think we need to feel the space and see as much of the rooms as possible (opposite walls on one picture).

Now two new colors will be introduced - gray and light wood - and where it would go??
Are you replacing the white console or adding one more piece of furniture?
What is standing on the opposite wall, across the sectional?

Don't get frustrated, OP. We will help you!!
I just can't make my mind until I see the whole space...

Last edited by elnina; 01-17-2021 at 07:57 AM..

Old 01-17-2021, 07:34 AM

3,070 posts, read 2,402,586 times
Maybe a little more color.

In the third picture, the scale of the shelves and decorations seems too small for the area.

Old 01-17-2021, 07:36 AM

Oh, one more thing.
It appears to me that you have a coat rack next to the entry door.
Well, that shouldn't be there. I hope, your shoes aren't on the floor just below the coats, on the prominent wall, for you or your guests to see and "admire" when they sit on the sofa. (unless it's chinchilla )
Look around the house and find a new home for them. Out of sight. Closer to the kitchen, a hall, or in your bedroom.
Sorry for that, but they are messing up the view you're trying to achieve.

And YES! as the other person said above - decorate your flat with things YOU like and appreciate, so you feel at home. Trends, friends don't really matter. You live there!

Last edited by elnina; 01-17-2021 at 07:49 AM..

Old 01-17-2021, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I think the wall color is fine and the rug is fine too. Subtle colors - nothing loud. Maybe you just need 1-2 colorful pillows and a colorful throw? Too much gray/beiges in that room. Even your accents are gray/beige/off white too.
You need a little bit color there. And maybe a plant.

But I do have problem with the many different wood colors in that small space. There is dining set in two colors, but they match the table by the sofa, and sorta match kitchen cabinets - so it's ok.
But the white end table should be placed somewhere else. Or perhaps painted brown (no, not black, but color matching the dining set) or grouped with the other white cabinet, on another side of it.
Or maybe we need another view of the space?

OP, can you step on a stool and take couple of picture from the opposite ends of your place? One from the door facing the kitchen, and another from kitchen facing the entry door? I think we need to feel the space and see as much of the rooms as possible (opposite walls on one picture).

Now two new colors will be introduced - gray and light wood - and where it would go??
Are you replacing the white console or adding one more piece of furniture?
What is standing on the opposite wall, across the sectional?

Don't get frustrated, OP. We will help you!!
I just can't make my mind until I see the whole space...
Uploaded some photos. I had ordered a plant online so waiting for that. The dining set has gray legs and supposed to be ash gray wood. Should I paint end table same as legs?

The gray tv stand will go where all those wires on the ground are in front of dining set. The coffee table would replace the ottoman.

Thanks for taking the time to help !
Attached Thumbnails
Decorating a narrow dark living room-51810300-b28f-4670-8c5d-b5e42dce4c48.jpeg   Decorating a narrow dark living room-b84d5bac-be64-4b6e-af15-d1ddf80bbc76.jpeg   Decorating a narrow dark living room-92c0f4fa-9fc6-4b44-bb61-c4900e5f5e13.jpeg  

Old 01-17-2021, 07:58 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Please move the trashcan and clean up the cable salad under the tv.

Old 01-17-2021, 08:12 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,131,779 times
Good choice on the neutral colors, cream, brown, gray. You might want to think about the sideboard across from the table. The light color next to a dark woods kitchen and across from a dark table doesn’t really go. The brown mirror doesn’t go with the light color either. It’s more rustic than the sideboard. It’s also too busy on top. Looks like you have a bunch of vases and things, all competing. A darker color for the sideboard and less on top would help it blend with the room.

I took another look at your room, a soft weathered gray would look good for your sideboard and help the minor fit in better too. You could do the same color for the white end table. It’s a small space and there are too many conflicting colors.

Last edited by Taz22; 01-17-2021 at 08:28 AM..

Old 01-17-2021, 08:13 AM

Thank you for the extra photos.

I would remove the jute rug and just have the new rug on the floor.
And definitely get the clothes/shoes/bench/stroller out of there. I understand that you don't have much space for that stuff, but maybe a closet? Or invest in a tall wardrobe (even from IKEA) and hide it there?
Do you have closets? Hall? Bedrooms?
Hide some stuff not in daily use under the bed. Rearrange closet space and try to declutter.

Is this an apartment or a condo? One room loft with bathroom or has also a bedroom? I think I saw a folding bed, so I am not sure. Any closets?
If there is no other room, then we need to think about other ways to rearrange your stuff, but it could be done. (no $$$)

Old 01-17-2021, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Good choice on the neutral colors, cream, brown, gray. You might want to think about the sideboard across from the table. The light color next to a dark woods kitchen and across from a dark table doesn’t really go. The brown mirror doesn’t go with the light color either. It’s more rustic than the sideboard. It’s also too busy on top. Looks like you have a bunch of vases and things, all competing. A darker color for the sideboard and less on top would help it blend with the room.

I took another look at your room, a soft weathered gray would look good for your sideboard and help the minor fit in better too. You could do the same color for the white end table. It’s a small space and there are too many conflicting colors.
Like this color I have attached ? I had painted the sideboard from black so I can repaint if needed. I can’t get rid of mirror so would need to try and match that too. Yea I am trying to decorate the top and am completely clueless. Was trying to do 3 on each side and then bridge it with the gold tray. Clearly not working lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Decorating a narrow dark living room-c89b6a09-ced8-456b-9310-043134102477.jpeg  

Old 01-17-2021, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Thank you for the extra photos.

I would remove the jute rug and just have the new rug on the floor.
And definitely get the clothes/shoes/bench/stroller out of there. I understand that you don't have much space for that stuff, but maybe a closet? Or invest in a tall wardrobe (even from IKEA) and hide it there?
Do you have closets? Hall? Bedrooms?
Hide some stuff not in daily use under the bed. Rearrange closet space and try to declutter.

Is this an apartment or a condo? One room loft with bathroom or has also a bedroom? I think I saw a folding bed, so I am not sure. Any closets?
If there is no other room, then we need to think about other ways to rearrange your stuff, but it could be done. (no $$$)
This is a rowhome with minimal storage yes. I do need something at the front because I don’t have any closest on that floor. Can probably eliminate some of the jackets. They seem to just pile on but could move some upstairs.

I will try the rug without jute and see if that helps ! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating