Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2013, 01:41 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,058,271 times

Advertisements

Anything that gets refridgerated gets thrown out on garbage day. So, if you have leftovers that need to get thrown out of the fridge, wait until you are ready to take the trash out before removing it from the fridge. If you are nervous about fruit, banana peels, etc, perhaps you can wrap them up in a plastic grocery back or something & then throw them in the garbage.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 01:51 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
We always put what food products would smell in the freezer until trash pickup day which is 2x week for us.
I never heard of that kind of thing in my life.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:57 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,707 times
If you have a small deck and you're in a very cold climate you could set it all outside where it freezes.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:59 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,929,395 times
I've learned many years ago when I had an apartment in the city that had not place for trash until trash day. You were not allowed to take the trash out until after dusk the evening before. So this is what I do.

1. When prepping meats, any waste goes into a bag back into the freezer.
2. Wet trash is put inside a bag and into the freezer.

No.. it's not digusting.. It's not spoiled trash that you are putting into the freezer.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:02 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,166,449 times
I make sure to rinse off old food. Everything that can goes into the garbage disposal.
Use old grocery bags to put larger items in, like a turkey carcass. Make sure there are no holes in the bag and tie it shut before putting it in the trash. If you don't have plastic grocery bags where you live, the four gallon plastic garbage bags work great.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:05 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerriMAC View Post
I recently moved into an upper floor condo unit, which is very much like an apartment building. There is no patio and no garage area to keep a personal garbage can outside. The dumpster is downstairs in the back alley. Taking out the trash far out to the dumpster is an extra daily chore. Plus it's a little pain to have to unlock the dumpster, open the cover (gross), and then re-secure the dumpster lock again.

I'd rather wait until the kitchen trash bag is somewhat full until disposing of it (about twice a week would be fine). Except the daily trash has banana peels, chicken bones, etc. that could attract flies and rodents too. Or an army of ants and other pests could be drawn inside.

What are some suggestions on how to temporarily store food garbage inside apartments/condos for several days?
Giant slingshot...

The concept is wet garbage / dry garbage. For dry garbage, kitchen wastebasket with 20 gal or 30 gal liner. For wet garbage, go to a housewares dept and find a plastic food storage container that can fit a shopping bag inside (hint - dollar stores usually have these). Put a paper towel and some baking soda in the bottom, then line it with TWO shopping bags. Toss in wet garbage until it is full or smells, tie off the bags and dump in the dry garbage. The easiest and most sanitary place for the wet garbage is next to the sink, because you don't drip stuff all over and most wet garbage comes from food prep. However, some people like to hide their garbage, so you can put it in your sock drawer or under the sink if you want.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:39 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Default Maybe something like this ...

Find the iTouchless Deodorizer Filtered Infrared Sensor Automatic Touchless Trash Can for an everyday low price at Walmart.com

Old 12-03-2013, 05:16 PM

209 posts, read 257,547 times
Anybody use Febreze?

Old 12-03-2013, 05:22 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I never heard of that kind of thing in my life.
You must have never lived in the desert Southwest or anyplace where temperatures are routinely over 100 degrees F.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:58 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,704 times
We never have to put anything in our freezer nor do we have ants.. We have a can with a bag under the sink..When it gets full we take it to the dumpster... No drama, No extra chore, No big deal....

Oh and we also live on the 4th floor.....and have no elevator.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House